cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One (Previously Orchard Bank Card)

tag
someone379
Regular Contributor

Capital One (Previously Orchard Bank Card)

<vent>

I have an old line of credit that used to be with Orchard Bank (from back when my scores were maybe 500) that was transitioned to a crappy Cap1 Platinum Master Card years back.  I just talked with Capital One, they agreed to upgrade me to a QuickSilver 1.5% rewards card, but they refuse to budge on the things that bug me about the card, namely the $59 anual fee that was associated with a bad credit offering.   

I ended up taking the upgrade, may as well get the dang cash back points, and I won't close the account at this time because it is my oldest open revolving credit line and I have a bunch of new ones that I need it to help balance out, but I hate being stuck with this subprime card that has a whopping $640 limit.

It is just pathetic when put next to my other cards: Chase Amazon VISA ($3,000 limit), AMEX TE ($5,500 limit), AMEX Cash Everyday ($4,500 Limit), Discover IT ($12,000 limit), then the stupid capital one ($640) ...   None of my other cards have annual fees...

Ugh.

Anyone else had better luck with these guys?

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One (Previously Orchard Bank Card)

Sorry to hear about them keeping the AF on the card, but that seems to be common.

One way out is to app outright for a new Quicksilver with no AF. Since you have good history on the existing card, you will probably see a nice re-set of your CL. Capital One seems to be that way: Many of the recent success stories are people realizing their starter cards don't get very far out of the starting blocks.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@someone379 wrote:

<vent>

I have an old line of credit that used to be with Orchard Bank (from back when my scores were maybe 500) that was transitioned to a crappy Cap1 Platinum Master Card years back.  I just talked with Capital One, they agreed to upgrade me to a QuickSilver 1.5% rewards card, but they refuse to budge on the things that bug me about the card, namely the $59 anual fee that was associated with a bad credit offering.   

I ended up taking the upgrade, may as well get the dang cash back points, and I won't close the account at this time because it is my oldest open revolving credit line and I have a bunch of new ones that I need it to help balance out, but I hate being stuck with this subprime card that has a whopping $640 limit.

It is just pathetic when put next to my other cards: Chase Amazon VISA ($3,000 limit), AMEX TE ($5,500 limit), AMEX Cash Everyday ($4,500 Limit), Discover IT ($12,000 limit), then the stupid capital one ($640) ...   None of my other cards have annual fees...

Ugh.

Anyone else had better luck with these guys?

You need to call Executive Office.

And if EO won't do anything about it. Screw them and their crapsack card. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
someone379
Regular Contributor

Has anyone had success calling EO?   Never thought to do that.  

I definately wont apply for another card with them, once I have enough aged accounts I'll just close this one, until then I'll pay the stupid fee to keep it on for a bit longer...

It really is too bad that cards don't graduate when people show they were worth the second chance. 

All of that being said, that Orcahard card was a life saver, and I'm forever thankful that it was available when I needed it - Kept me away from having to deal with Premire Bankcard or something along those lines. 

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crapsack? icon_lmao.gif

Message 5 of 13
CraigHwk
Regular Contributor

Same spot as you. My Ochard Card is now a CapOne Plat with the $59 fee.  I called them when I was charged this fee early March and they won't lower me to what their current fees of their Plat cards.  They did give me a $39 credit, so you might be able get that from someone.   I'm going to close the card next year before it charges me the $59 fee once more.    I want another year of building with this card since I've had it since 2011.

After my call with them, I applied for the QuickSilver and got it with a 5k limit.

USAA MC ✪ Amex BCP, SPG, Platinum ✪ Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Marriott Rewards, United Explorer ✪ Discover IT ✪ CapOne QS ✪ Fidelity Visa ✪ BarclaysPlatinum Rewards ✪ Citi Double Cash

Starting EX FICO (2010): 513 | Current FICO: EX 759, EQ: 773, TU: 761
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@someone379 wrote:

I definately wont apply for another card with them, once I have enough aged accounts I'll just close this one, until then I'll pay the stupid fee to keep it on for a bit longer...

It really is too bad that cards don't graduate when people show they were worth the second chance. 

All of that being said, that Orcahard card was a life saver, and I'm forever thankful that it was available when I needed it - Kept me away from having to deal with Premire Bankcard or something along those lines. 

My QS1 started as Orchard Bank back in January, 2008. Then it became a Platinum, then a QS1. I've tried multiple times to get it changed to a regular no AF Quicksilver, no joy. I'm dumping it. In fact, I would already have done so but it's sitting with a negative balance that I need to eat up.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@someone379 wrote:

My QS1 started as Orchard Bank back in January, 2008. Then it became a Platinum, then a QS1. I've tried multiple times to get it changed to a regular no AF Quicksilver, no joy. I'm dumping it. In fact, I would already have done so but it's sitting with a negative balance that I need to eat up.

Go buy you a gift card with it and close that thing.

Message 8 of 13
Aarvard
Established Contributor

Send an e-mail to the EO to see if they are willing to do anything about that.

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@someone379 wrote:

Go buy you a gift card with it and close that thing.

The neg balance will be wiped once my March eBay fees post around the 10th. Then it's bye bye.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.