Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Product Change Suggestions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Product Change Suggestions?

My first two credit cards were given to me by Capital One, and I'd like to do a product change on one or both.

The first is a standard Platinum Mastercard at 19.8% interest ($3750 limit)

and the second is a QuickSilver One Mastercard at 19.8% ($3750 limit) as well.

I'd like to hear suggestions of what PCs I should go for on the cards. I like the cashback on the QuickSilverOne, so I'd like to stick with cashback or a low APR. The APR on these is the highest of my cards so I've not used them much recently, but would like to if I can get them switched into cards with better rates or rewards.

I like the idea of upgrading the QS One Mastercard to a QS Visa, is that possible?

The other three I see that look like good options are:

(1) Platinum Prestige MC

(2) Venture Rewards (is this mc or visa)

(3) VentureOne Rewards (is this mc or visa?)

Any suggestions and opinions are welcome!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Product Change Suggestions?

unfortunately, you can't change mastercard to visa and vice versa. but you can ask them to change your quicksilverone card to quicksilver card with no annual fee. but it'll still show as platnium mastercard on your account. I changed my visa platinum to quicksilver, and quicksilverone to ventureone (didn't wanna pay the annual fee back then). but I sorta regret pc to ventureone, 1.25 miles are meh.

try and see if they will upgrade your platinum mastercard to quicksilver with no annual fee, and if you pc your card to venture, you won't get that sign up bonus, so if you don't mind that, I'd say change your quicksilverone to venture card.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would PC the Quicksilver One to a Quicksilver (no AF, slightly more attractive card.)

I'd also PC the Platinum to a Venture One (No AF.)

Basically, turn them both into $0 AF rewards cards.

I have a thing against credit cards that aren't rewards cards, unless the interest rate is low and in-and-of-itself the reward.

Unfortunately, you're more than likely stuck with those interest rates for the life of the card (though you can try and get temporary APR reductions via EO or a CSR.)

Changing a card from MC to VISA isn't done, they'll give you a Quicksilver MC.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed I am getting cashback on both cards right now...is the platinum MC possibly another card but I can't tell?

I may try to PC the QuickSilver One Rewards into a QuickSilver Rewards to avoid the fee, not sure what I'll do with the Plat MC if I'm getting cashback rewards on it now.

Would I be better off attempting to negotiate the APR down on both cards?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

don't they adjust apr on their own? I have never asked for adjustment, and yet my visa platinum's apr is 15.9%, but I did have that card since 2003.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just opened up chat and requested that my platinum be upgraded to the QS no AF.... Only had the card 5 months still in steps and was approved for the PC! I say go for it
Message 6 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just opened up chat and requested that my platinum be upgraded to the QS no AF.... Only had the card 5 months still in steps and was approved for the PC! I say go for it

But yet I have my QS One cards for 2 years and was told I can't ditch the AF when I asked last year.

I guess now I need to ask again...  In the end the $39 AF doesn't really matter because I'll gladly pay it for the AAoA and UTI... it's just annoying how the policies are totally random from account to account.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes definitely ask again!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

QS no AF obviously.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.