Did you mean: 

Capital One Refuses to Lower Our Credit Limit

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Refuses to Lower Our Credit Limit

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Our credit score is actually 793.  The score report indicated one reason the score was "lowered" was the high revolving credit limit.  We have a total limit of 33k on three credit cards but usually charge, and fully pay off, about 4k per month.  I have read that the "sweet spot" on credit card "balance to limit" is around 30 percent, indicating that we need no more than around 13k in total credit limit.

Where did you obtain this score ?   FICO scoring will never ding you for having high revolving credit limits.   

And the best starting point for optimizing your revolving utilization is to let one card report a small balance ( less than 9% ) while the other cards report zero balances.

Hi mikesn5va and welcome to the forums.

I agree with pizzadude and also wonder where you got this report and score. FICO will never say your credit limits are too high (or too low) because FICO doesn't score credit limits; just the percentage of usage of those limits. Plus the recommendation of 30% utilization is something you won't see from any FICO source. 

Did the report say which CRA was pulled? Was it Equifax, Transunion, or Experian?

I strongly urge you to follow up on this and see if what you got is a true FICO score.

Message 31 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We are refinancing our mortgage and want to "clean up" our credit score.  We maintain a revolving monthly balance of only 15 percent of our three credit cards limits and asked Capital One to lower their card limit down from 15k to 8k, but they refused.  Short of closing the account, we are wondering what to do next.

Once again Capital One provides excellent customer service....  they did the best thing despite the customers intention. 

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our credit union send us a courtesy copy of our credit score - same score for each of us.  It is from Credstar.  Your credit score 793; Source Experian; Understanding your credit score, range 320 - 844; Key factors that adversely affected your credit score: Experian Fair Isaac Redeveloped (FICA 2), 1) Amount owed on accounts is too high; 2) Ratio of balance to limit on bank revolving or other rev accounts too high; 3) Length of time revolving accounts have been established.  My responses; 1) Our monthly debt payments are about 50 percent of our monthly gross income and our mortgage principal balance is about 50 percent of the value of our home; we also have a home equity balance of $11k that will be paid off in two years; 2) The only revolving balances and limits are the 3 credit cards previously discussed; 3) We refinanced with a 20-year mortgage 3 years ago when we had 22 years left on our 30-year mortgage; home equity loan is 3 years old and have had all 3 credit cards for at least 6 years.  I think that simply put reasons regardless of the FICA score. 

Message 33 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Our credit union send us a courtesy copy of our credit score - same score for each of us.  It is from Credstar.  Your credit score 793; Source Experian; Understanding your credit score, range 320 - 844; Key factors that adversely affected your credit score: Experian Fair Isaac Redeveloped (FICA 2), 1) Amount owed on accounts is too high; 2) Ratio of balance to limit on bank revolving or other rev accounts too high; 3) Length of time revolving accounts have been established.  My responses; 1) Our monthly debt payments are about 50 percent of our monthly gross income and our mortgage principal balance is about 50 percent of the value of our home; we also have a home equity balance of $11k that will be paid off in two years; 2) The only revolving balances and limits are the 3 credit cards previously discussed; 3) We refinanced with a 20-year mortgage 3 years ago when we had 22 years left on our 30-year mortgage; home equity loan is 3 years old and have had all 3 credit cards for at least 6 years.  I think that simply put reasons regardless of the FICA score. 

This is a FAKO score, I wouldn't pay any mind to it. The public has not been able to buy an EX FICO since 2009. Unless you:

-bank with a CU in PA (PSECU) 

-app for an AMEX card or other prime lender and get less then the best APR and they send you a score from EX.

-Mortgage app

It's very unlikely wherever you got your EX score it is a FICO.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 34 of 40
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a FAKO score, I wouldn't pay any mind to it. The public has not been able to buy an EX FICO since 2009. Unless you:

-bank with a CU in PA (PSECU) 

-app for an AMEX card or other prime lender and get less then the best APR and they send you a score from EX.

-Mortgage app

It's very unlikely wherever you got your EX score it is a FICO.

Could well be a FICO score. There are actually lots of them. It could also be some sort of customized FICO score. If it wasn't they couldn't use the Fair Isaac name legally. Mortgage score providers to CUs do have access to EX FICO scores.

However, nothing in the list suggests that reducing CLs would help. Quite the contrary. It would adversely affect your ratios. The advice not to reduce CLs is good advice.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 35 of 40
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

You have the opposite problem of most people with Cap One cards Smiley Happy most people are on here wanting to know how to get CLI's ;D
Message 36 of 40
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

I thought Cli's with capital one was the problem... Decreases as well...wow
Message 37 of 40
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mike, you are misreading the reasons given.  First off, I don't see anything there that says you need to reduce your credit limits.  In fact, the direct opposite.  Also, there are always reasons given by FICO for your score not being perfect.  Some of those reasons are actionable items.  Sometimes there are not.  Sometimes they just don't really mean anything as only a perfect score has no reasons but does not exist in reality.  My wife for example had over 800 FICO and 5-6 reasons for the reduction in score.  Kind of a joke.  Fact is 760+ FICO will get you best rate with every lender assuming other things check out so you only need to get over that 760 mark.  In any case here are some comments on your score:

1) Amount owed on accounts is too high: It just means you have high balances on your trade lines.  It has nothing to do with your income as FICO knows nothing about income and does not take that into account.  You can't do anything on installment loans easily so dont worry about it.  For your revolving lines, see my notes below.

2) Ratio of balance to limit on bank revolving or other rev accounts too high: Your reported balances vs your credit limits are too high.  This is basically saying the opposite of what you were planning on doing.  You want higher credit limits to offset balances.

3) Length of time revolving accounts have been established: Basically saying you haven't have your credit cards long enough.  Revolving credit does not refer to installment loans (mortgage, auto loan, etc.).  Nothing you can do here as you can't make your credit cards age faster.  Just don't apply for any credit cards which will enhance this problem.

As for my notes on point 1 and 2:  Ideal balances FICO wise is 1 credit card reporting between 1-9% (ideal is slightly different for everyone) of both the card and total available revolving credit limit and the rest of your cards reporting 0.  You need to search and read in this forum about credit card utilization and reported utilization.  Credit card issuers typically report balance to CRAs once a month.  Most report the balance around the statement date and what the outstanding balance is on that date.  However not all card issuers do so.  The point is you need to pay down your outstanding balance so that it reports to the CRA what you want it to report.  In the case of credit cards that report on statement date, that means paying off the card even before they generate a statement and due date for the outstanding amount.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

As we plan to close this mortgage refi. around the end of August, we will plan on paying down card balance (we only use one of the 3 cards) before the statement arrives and ask for a new copy of the CR soon thereafter.  Thanks again for all of the advice, it has been very educational.  Now I just need to find a Board that discusses mortgage backed securities (MBS) and how to gain access to live MBS data in order to know when to lock in our interest rate!

Message 39 of 40
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Mike, you are misreading the reasons given.  First off, I don't see anything there that says you need to reduce your credit limits.  In fact, the direct opposite.  Also, there are always reasons given by FICO for your score not being perfect.  Some of those reasons are actionable items.  Sometimes there are not.  Sometimes they just don't really mean anything as only a perfect score has no reasons but does not exist in reality.  My wife for example had over 800 FICO and 5-6 reasons for the reduction in score.  Kind of a joke.  Fact is 760+ FICO will get you best rate with every lender assuming other things check out so you only need to get over that 760 mark.  In any case here are some comments on your score:

1) Amount owed on accounts is too high: It just means you have high balances on your trade lines.  It has nothing to do with your income as FICO knows nothing about income and does not take that into account.  You can't do anything on installment loans easily so dont worry about it.  For your revolving lines, see my notes below.

2) Ratio of balance to limit on bank revolving or other rev accounts too high: Your reported balances vs your credit limits are too high.  This is basically saying the opposite of what you were planning on doing.  You want higher credit limits to offset balances.

3) Length of time revolving accounts have been established: Basically saying you haven't have your credit cards long enough.  Revolving credit does not refer to installment loans (mortgage, auto loan, etc.).  Nothing you can do here as you can't make your credit cards age faster.  Just don't apply for any credit cards which will enhance this problem.

As for my notes on point 1 and 2:  Ideal balances FICO wise is 1 credit card reporting between 1-9% (ideal is slightly different for everyone) of both the card and total available revolving credit limit and the rest of your cards reporting 0.  You need to search and read in this forum about credit card utilization and reported utilization.  Credit card issuers typically report balance to CRAs once a month.  Most report the balance around the statement date and what the outstanding balance is on that date.  However not all card issuers do so.  The point is you need to pay down your outstanding balance so that it reports to the CRA what you want it to report.  In the case of credit cards that report on statement date, that means paying off the card even before they generate a statement and due date for the outstanding amount.

Excellent discussion and breakdown of the three negative score factors. I wonder if the OP's mortgage provider just gave out the wrong info. It's kind of an industry mantra that mortgage providers don't like to see too much available credit.

I believe their internal models may factor in risk of borrower use of available CC credit. It's also possible that the mortgage provider is fully aware that decreasing CLs would, other things being equal, drop FICO scores a small amount but would increase the chance of getting the application approved because of the lower exposure if the credit cards were maxed out. Who knows. My best guess is that somewhere the broker heard that too high CC limits represented increased risk and incorrectly took that to mean that FICO scores would improve if the customer reduced their CLs.  If so, big error.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.