Did you mean: 

Capital One Resistant to Waive AF

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Resistant to Waive AF

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your experience with request to waive AF?

I called in because the AF hit my QS1 account. I asked for AF to be waived. The agent said they can reduce the AF to $10. I said that would force me to use the card to cover the AF and said I'll just pay what I owe minus the AF and transfer credit limit to QS. She then asked to put me on hold and after she returned she said she was able to credit me for $19.00 to waive the AF.

I have decent usage on the QS1 (not my go to card since only 1.5%) and PIF the account each month and am a bit disappointed that this type of behavior is not rewarded but was met with resistance.

It's been said before, this is business.  The banks have no emotion here, and we need to not be so attached to them.

To me, this sounds like simple negotiation.  You asked for something, you were offered to split it, and when you said that wasn't good enough, the CSR put you on hold to either review your account (and see if she could justify giving you what you asked for) or get approval from a supervisor (because she wasn't authorised to give you what you asked for) or even just to make you think that you were getting one or both of the above (classic car salesman move, "I have to take your offer to my sales manager")

Don't take it so personally.  For a few minutes on the phone, and good negotiation skills, you saved yourself $19.  Cap 1 was just seeing what your price was.

Winston Churchill famously once (probably didn't) said to a young woman who was seated next to him at a dinner if she would sleep with him for £1 million.  She thought about it and said she would.  He then asked if she would sleep with him for £1.  

She looked at the Prime Minister and said, "Sir, what type of woman do you think I am?"

Churchill repiled, "Madam, we already estabilshed the type of woman you are, now we are simply negotiating a price"

We know what type of bank Cap 1 is, so we just have to negotiate a price.

+1000

I have always loved this... there's so much truth to it.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your experience with request to waive AF?

I called in because the AF hit my QS1 account. I asked for AF to be waived. The agent said they can reduce the AF to $10. I said that would force me to use the card to cover the AF and said I'll just pay what I owe minus the AF and transfer credit limit to QS. She then asked to put me on hold and after she returned she said she was able to credit me for $19.00 to waive the AF.

I have decent usage on the QS1 (not my go to card since only 1.5%) and PIF the account each month and am a bit disappointed that this type of behavior is not rewarded but was met with resistance.

Back when my QS MasterCard was still a QS1, I was able to get the fee waived once by asking to close the card (I wasn't bluffing - at this time the card was only a few years old, and I wasn't worried about my credit yet). 

Later years when I would call back they would offer to waive half of it, which I would begrudgingly accept since I didn't want to go through the 'drama' of pretending to want to close it down.  I'll add that by this time I could see the light at the end of the tunnel credit-wise, and I simply wanted a break on the fee, not to close the account.  I'll also add that my AF was $79.

The last couple of years when they would waive half the fee I was still rather annoyed, since half of $79 is $39.50, and the AF for brand-new QS1 cardholders is only $39, so I was actually still paying more than a brand-new person even though I had been around for literally years and had perfect PIF payment history.  Last year I decided enough was enough, so I applied and was approved for a QS Visa Signature in March 2015 and planned to close the QS1 in July when the AF was due.

Between opening the QS Visa and the AF for the QS1 coming due, Capital One started allowing people to combine accounts... but both accounts had to be at least six months old, and my new card was a few months short.  So, I determined that I would pay the AF - or half of it - one last time (sigh...) and would combine the accounts into my new no-AF QS Visa before the fee would be due July 2016. 

I had a plan in place - and it was a good one - but I still preferred to keep the history of a nearly nine-year old account if I could, so I tried to PC the QS1 back in January and was told there were "no offers".  I tried again in February (completely expecting the same response) and to my genuine surprise there was an "offer" and I was able to PC to a QS MasterCard (I could have also chosen a Venture One, but I knew better...)

The point of my sharing this is to let you know I've been there, and I understand your frustration.  I would encourage you to try to PC the card to a QS, and try each month until they tell you there's an offer; that is, if you want to keep the card.  Otherwise, wait until the timing of your CLIs has worked out to your advantage and simply combine the card like you originally mentioned.  I believe in making a plan (and having patience for it to be carried out) but there's no reason for you to be perpetually annoyed by the AF if they truly won't budge - life's too short. 

Hope this helps!  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your story. Frustrated? I couldn't care any less about Capital One (they are mostly a subprime lender), but since it costed me several hard inquires 12 months ago, I will make them work for the best of my interest.

Message 13 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your story. Frustrated? I couldn't care any less about Capital One (they are mostly a subprime lender), but since it costed me several hard inquires 12 months ago, I will make them work the best for my interest.

That's the spirit!  Smiley Very Happy

I know prime/subprime is all in the eye of the beholder, but to me their QS and Venture offerings are prime.  I'll also add that you'll almost never hear of them taking AA on anybody, even if you keep the card maxed out.  As long as they get their money they tend not to care.  I also have found them very reliable when traveling or using my card to make purchases out of my state over the phone (again, they don't get spooked easily, at least for me).  I've used my QS cards several times for small international internet purchases as well, again - no problem at all. Smiley Happy

They can be annoying at times starting off, but once you get this AF situation worked out and behind you once and for all I think you'll come to be quite fond of them as well.  Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 31
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Unfortunately your account has an annual fee. Good payment history is certainly a good thing but it doesn't mean your AF will be waived. You also need to consider the value of your time here. Is 10 bucks really worth too much stress? Could opt to just pay it instead of trying to pull teeth with Capital One.

It might be unfortunate, but any money saved is a benefit, right?  I make my phone calls while I am doing something else, so that way I am not actually wasting any time, but actually being more productive if it results in something of a benifit.  I get what I am doing done and the benefit of accomplishing something!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 15 of 31
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
...why not just close the card?
As long as there is no AF,  the account does no harm. There is no reason to reduce overall credit availability in one's credit profile, nor to waste a hard inquiry that still remains on the credit report.

I'm not sure I understand. Didn't you say in your OP that you could just move the credit line from your QS1 to your QS (no AF)? That wouldn't reduce overall credit availability nor create a hard pull...

Message 16 of 31
JamP
Valued Contributor

+1 Move CL to QS and never look back.

If you can get them to PC it, then do that.

I wish they would have PC'd my QS1, I think it would be cool to have a QS MC and a QS Visa no AF Smiley Very Happy

My DW just got her's PC'd (days before the AF was to hit) and it has yet to come in the mail, her CL is 4k already. 

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realistically speaking, Capital One is not the type of credit card company they used to be. Capital One has improved in the area of customer service and providing premium cards that require excellent credit, and can be used for some pretty good rewards. For example, if you look at the Venture card, it has a $59 annual fee and it gives you 2x miles on all purchases. The other premium card includes the regular Quicksilver card, which gives you 1.5% cash back on all purchases with no annual fee... In other words, competing against the Chase Freedom Unlimited and other cards that give you 1.5% back in one way or another. Another card is their option of receiving 2% or 1.5% cash back on all purchases with their Spark Business card. All of these cards come with Visa Signature or World MasterCard benefits too. 

In my opinion, Capital One is just like every other card issuer today, where as they used to be the company that was considered a start up for those with no credit history, or a poor credit history. Sure they have their fair share of builder cards, but so does Barclays, your local credit union,l Citi, Discover, and Chase. 

What I do wish Capital One would come out with is a card with rotating 5% categories to compete with DiscoverIt, regular Freedom, and others. 

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Didn't you say in your OP that you could just move the credit line from your QS1 to your QS (no AF)? That wouldn't reduce overall credit availability nor create a hard pull...

Capital One doesn't just pull one credit report but across all three. If the consumer closes any account, they have just wasted multiple HPs. And more so, if they remain on their credit report because other creditors may use that against them when considering their credit application. Also, it is preferred that both account are kept open as there would be more CLI (eligible every 6 months).

Message 19 of 31
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I hate to be direct but you knew going into applying for the account they have a $19 annual fee. While there are posts about getting the AF waived it doesn't mean it's a shoe in, nor should it be. They aren't obligated in any way to remove the fee regardless of how much one spends on their card or "x" months of on time payment.

Just like they aren't obligated, neither are you or any consumer. That's the great thing about it. You're welcome to move on and choose another lender if you aren't happy with the annual fee. There are lots of other cards that does not have an annual fee.

I wish you luck!

Personal:

Business:

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.