Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Secured CC

After seven years, I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel with my credit score.  As of this month's credit report, five of my delinquent accounts have fallen off.  As a result my score has gone up about 25 points as opposed to last month.  

So now my plan is to apply for secured CC.  In the past, I had two unsecured Capital One cards which were closed due to delinquency but are no longer on my report.  After doing some research, I was thinking of applying for their secured Mastercard.  Does anyone know whether it's even possible to be approved based on my prior history with Capital One?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured CC

Generally speaking, as long as the delinquent/charged off card was more than 1 year ago your good to go. If your scores are high enough you might be able to bypass the secured card
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, if it was a year ago
Message 3 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

After seven years, I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel with my credit score.  As of this month's credit report, five of my delinquent accounts have fallen off.  As a result my score has gone up about 25 points as opposed to last month.  

So now my plan is to apply for secured CC.  In the past, I had two unsecured Capital One cards which were closed due to delinquency but are no longer on my report.  After doing some research, I was thinking of applying for their secured Mastercard.  Does anyone know whether it's even possible to be approved based on my prior history with Capital One?

What are your current scores and credit profile like?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I'm only signed up with CK, so I only know my TU score which is 522 and EQ is 518.  I have 11 CC accounts reporting as derog which will all fall off by about July.  I also have a student loan that's showing late payments.  I've rehabbed it which will be transferred to a loan servicer in May at which point the US Dept. of Ed will report it as current.

My goal is for my scores to be in the mid 600s by the end of the year.

Message 5 of 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

In that case I'd wait until everything falls off. At that point your student loans will be showing positive. Pull your scores from here or creditchecktotal when that happens. I think you'll probably be in good shape.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, that makes sense.  Thank you so much!😊

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.