cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured MasterCard - No More Deposits?

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured MasterCard - No More Deposits?

I would let it grow with you. Maybe in time they will unsecure.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the problem that Capital One was running into was that people would just raise their credit limit by doing a deposit instead of paying off the existing balance. Well, people usually look down on secured cards but let's face it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Capital One already gives you $200 at the start. That gives you the potential of a 2,800 limit. It's not like you're losing any money, in fact you're earning interest on it.

It was the deal of all deals. It's a good thing it doesn't go into effect until January because I have a huge balance I need to pay down first.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems as if it is designed to move you quickly away from the secured card.  Say you only have a few hundred dollars then you would have to constantly charge and pay to keep UTI down and would almost through necessity close out the card before a years time for another subprime card, rather than  add funds and continue to use the card as your score improves. 

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do people even keep the secured cards? I say why not. I'm not in a hurry to close the account. Especially when I can't get a mid range card yet. You know what they say, the longer the credit history the better.

People shouldn't be so quick to close their secured cards. They're keepers. Discover is nice but you know what? It's not good enough to be a daily driver card. So, I will need to hunt for a 3rd card.
Message 14 of 28
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong but a credit report doesn't specify secured or unsecured. Even if they did if that's the worst thing on your reports with a high score and decent cards later I would change anything or worry about it.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeffrey my Discover card reports as Secured.
Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

My hubby's doesn't report as secured. Haven't gotten mine yet so I can't say for it.
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I got a screenshot.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

They just came out with a rebuild platinum. Check it out on their sit.
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild platinum? Don't we already have that? 

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.