cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Mastercard - Will they ever graduate it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Secured Mastercard - Will they ever graduate it?

It's my first card from when I began building my credit shortly after college.

Put $49 down and paid it in full every month. It's been nearly 2 years and they've done nothing. Not a single unsolicited credit line increase, not a drop in interest, not even a hint at graduating me to something better. I have 6 other credit cards all with lines of credit over 30 times higher than my Cap One Secured and I've never even approached 5% utilization, had a baddie, nothing.

I don't care so much as a CLI, but I would love if they would just unsecure my card and give me my deposit back. Pretty sure I've proven at this point I am not going to default on $200 worth of stuff (that is my CL).

Aaaah 

/rant

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured Mastercard - Will they ever graduate it?

Hate to tell you this, but Capital One never graduates their secured cards.  You have to apply for new cards with them and  close that card if you want your money back.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just closed my secured card. I got a 300 unsecured increase but was told going forward I would only get a higher limit if I added funds. I got the quicksilver 3 months after I opened my secured. I paid my balance except for my deposit amount and 2 days later they applied my deposit to the remaining balance.

Have you checked the prequal site to see if they offer you another card?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just closed my secured card. I got a 300 unsecured increase but was told going forward I would only get a higher limit if I added funds. I got the quicksilver 3 months after I opened my secured. I paid my balance except for my deposit amount and 2 days later they applied my deposit to the remaining balance.

I already have a QuickSilver Visa Signature. 

I'm hesitant to close the account, as it is one of my older ones. Perhaps I will after my inquiries fall off. 

Message 4 of 7
disaster13
Established Member

I actually closed mine when I got my Amex cards. I was in your exact position then I noticed that Cap One wouldn't buldge so I closed it and got my money back Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
indiasnowden
Regular Contributor

My secured graduated after 6 months. Modest cli but that is probably from my mismanagement. Still it doubled to $1k. That was four years ago so maybe they changed their policies. They gave me a $2k cli on my old orchard bank card last year. Go figure. Maybe you can call and ask for a review.

Starting Score: 'All three mid 500s as of 1/1/16
EQ: 633 6 TU: 644 EX: 634 as of 3/11/17 via MyFico
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I already have a QuickSilver Visa Signature. 

I'm hesitant to close the account, as it is one of my older ones. Perhaps I will after my inquiries fall off. 

I'd keep the Quicksilver Visa Signature and close the older account now. It will still continue to report positively for 10 years, and it's definitely not worth the aggravation.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.