Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured graduation question

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured graduation question

6 years next month. Secured Crapital one with no increase after the initial 6 months auto-CLI. I talk to a rep via chat every 2-3 weeks (as of the last few months). One finally told me that they wanted something like 11 months of activity so I just started using it again...who knows if i'll ever get the offer to upgrade. If they just want usage, I'm willing to show some but I hate showing activity on so many accounts at once...at most, I like having 2 cards reporting balances. If I don't see something by next year (year 7), I will cancel once and for all. And I'm totally going to ask for the AF to be waived this year...as I've paid it every other year. 

P.S. I don't want to close it...I want it to upgrade...it's my oldest card. Yes, I know history shows for 10 years. So what? 10 years from now I'm going to have a drop in my score? However minimal, I don't want that.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 11 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear this SecretAzure that's s long long time for a secured card not to graduate, you have way more patience than I do my friend , I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:

6 years next month. Secured Crapital one with no increase after the initial 6 months auto-CLI. I talk to a rep via chat every 2-3 weeks (as of the last few months). One finally told me that they wanted something like 11 months of activity so I just started using it again...who knows if i'll ever get the offer to upgrade. If they just want usage, I'm willing to show some but I hate showing activity on so many accounts at once...at most, I like having 2 cards reporting balances. If I don't see something by next year (year 7), I will cancel once and for all. And I'm totally going to ask for the AF to be waived this year...as I've paid it every other year. 

P.S. I don't want to close it...I want it to upgrade...it's my oldest card. Yes, I know history shows for 10 years. So what? 10 years from now I'm going to have a drop in my score? However minimal, I don't want that.

@Anonymous, my friend.  First, sorry to hear about this. I also agree with @Aduke1122, it is indeed a very long time for a secured card not to graduate. I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but I will most definitely suggest you to start looking out for a better card or I should said a better bank. This is of course is my own opinion as I do not know your credit history so. Whatever you decided, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

Oh, you should send a letter to corporate and/or visit personally the local branch if any close to you. Best of luck mate.

Message 13 of 16
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous, my friend.  First, sorry to hear about this. I also agree with @Aduke1122, it is indeed a very long time for a secured card not to graduate. I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but I will most definitely suggest you to start looking out for a better card or I should said a better bank. This is of course is my own opinion as I do not know your credit history so. Whatever you decided, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

Oh, you should send a letter to corporate and/or visit personally the local branch if any close to you. Best of luck mate.

I have other cards...in fact, I have just about every card I want already but I just want my oldest card to become a useful one. I have patience because I believe that they can make the right choice and allow me to upgrade it. I haven't tried the EO office lately but I could try that again however all data points seem to suggest that the "system" chooses...meaning it's completely automated who gets to upgrade and manual intervention is not possible (by reps).

Thank you for crossing your fingers though...and the suggestions. Smiley Happy

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 14 of 16
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I think anyone who got approved prior to the way they changed their Secured card rules is kinda stuck , you are not the first person I have seen say this about their secured Cap One
Message 15 of 16
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Just got off the phone with them. Regular CSR laughed at me as I asked for the EO saying that they were not going to be able to help me. EO said that it just isn't possible that the upgrade program caused a lot of issues in the past so they discontinued the program and now they've re-added the progam for new accounts but said it's impossible for anyone to have had the card upgraded because not enough time has passed for those accounts to be reviewed [by the sytem]. So this leads me to believe it is something like 11 months as I've heard in the past. Also, this leads me to believe that the EO doesn't even know what goes on in the company with their policies and programs.

I'll stick to my plan. I'll give it time. If May rolls around and my card is still secure I will close it and not let Capital One have even one more cent of my money from now until the end of time. There are other lenders with secured cards that graduate. I suggest you advise anyone new to credit to use one of them instead. I know people will still flock to Capital One for the giant limits on Venture but I hope they look at other options before going to QS which was the default cashback card for a time. It's not to say that Capital One is bad...it's just they're not competative anymore and don't know how to build loyalty. They let you get a foot in the door if you're new to credit...but then your foot is all that ever makes it in with them by not allowing cards to upgrade which is pretty sad.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.