Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Situation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Situation

I recently brought my own home.  I was looking into "Prosper" around the same time.  To date, I only have one cc "Capital One" and medical bills from a 7 day stay in the hospital following a visit to the emergency room visit in which I was diagnosed with several things.  They chose to treat me for 7 days.  I worked with a very savvy pre-qualification individual and was able to achieve the ultimate dream of homeownership.  AT this time I am two months in, but I chose to not pay COne for about two months.  First they sent me a collection letter, and I said okay now I can work toward paying the balance.  Then another month goes by and they are now sending me a regular bill, [only $300 worth of credit] with atleast $100.00 worth of late fees, etc.  So now they have the balance to about $500.00.

Any thoughts on how to handle this wonderful company, and not loose my sanity in the process.  In reality I know that everyone needs atleast one major card, but how do I let them know I need them but stop all of these fees being added to just run up a bill on their end.  Please let me know.  Thank you for your time in reviewing this question.......................

Also, of course by the time I got my thoughts and business together to apply with Prosper for a loan to tie up some loose ends, and do a little roofing work on the house, they said that I did not meet the qualifications, meaning my score was too low to apply.   ......Thanks Again
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One Situation

You should immediately contact CapitalOne and work out some kind of plan with them, before your situation gets any worse...your goal is to protect your credit!  If you make good on your account with CapitalOne, they may work with you later to remove these "baddies," but you need to be proactive before this problems snowballs.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestion.  I will contact them immediately as I have not been late before and I have had the card since 2005 [with one increase in cl]
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I am now starting to work on my credit, I am currently trying to negotiate with capital one on working out a payment plan as i have fallen 6 months behind, and they have charged me almost five hundred dollars in late fees and overlimit fees. I have spoken to three different people at capital one and they were not very helpful at all, basically they told me i could make four payment of $250.00 within the next two months. (i currently owe $1000) they did not want to work with me at all, if I had the $500 to pay in a month I would have paid a loong time ago. What has the outcome been for you?
Message 4 of 12
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

ANewDay wrote:
I recently brought my own home.  I was looking into "Prosper" around the same time.  To date, I only have one cc "Capital One" and medical bills from a 7 day stay in the hospital following a visit to the emergency room visit in which I was diagnosed with several things.  They chose to treat me for 7 days.  I worked with a very savvy pre-qualification individual and was able to achieve the ultimate dream of homeownership.  AT this time I am two months in, but I chose to not pay COne for about two months.  First they sent me a collection letter, and I said okay now I can work toward paying the balance.  Then another month goes by and they are now sending me a regular bill, [only $300 worth of credit] with atleast $100.00 worth of late fees, etc.  So now they have the balance to about $500.00.

Any thoughts on how to handle this wonderful company, and not loose my sanity in the process.  In reality I know that everyone needs atleast one major card, but how do I let them know I need them but stop all of these fees being added to just run up a bill on their end.  Please let me know.  Thank you for your time in reviewing this question.......................

Also, of course by the time I got my thoughts and business together to apply with Prosper for a loan to tie up some loose ends, and do a little roofing work on the house, they said that I did not meet the qualifications, meaning my score was too low to apply.   ......Thanks Again

I've highlighted a few things that confuse me.... A) they are NOT a wonderful company and B) that's how they make their money, off you, me and everyone! They only care about themselves!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

ANewDay wrote:

Okay so your credit limit is 300.00, the 100.00 they added gives you a grand total of 500.00 to me that sounds like you were overlimit by almost 100.00 and got hit two months straight with both lates and overlimit fees.  I think that is clearly in the terms and conditions of the card but I may be confused about your situation.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ,

Sorry to see you in this financial condition .
Trust me Capital One isn't !
Capital One cares about one thing & ONLY ONE THING: $$Money!
Capital One doesn't like to negotiate & is VERY ruthless in these circumstances.
The late & over limit fee's will continue to build upto the time they decide to sue you  or they charge it off & ruin your credit rating for 7.5 yrs .

My best advice is to get them in WRITING to agree to a set amount of money owed & then pay it (you may have to sue them to enforce this agreement as Cap one does lie ALOT !)
Very sorry but it bears repeating several times : Capital One ONLY cares about money & nothing about clients/customers feelings/legal rights .Smiley MadMan Mad
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually the account was hit for two months, which brought me to the $500 balance.  And the amazing thing is some people have multiple accounts/cards.  My account has been open since 2005 and I have keep it above water with no late fees.  I have only received one increase, which took the credit up to $300.00.  Of course as soon as I missed the first payment, that in turn caused me to be over the limit which resulted in an additional fee.  I want to call them and discuss the situation, but I am discouraged because how can I take care of this balance if they want it all at once or on time.  Like the person before, if I had the money I would take care of them, but now that I don't what to do now........Thank you
Message 8 of 12
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

ANewDay wrote:
Actually the account was hit for two months, which brought me to the $500 balance.  And the amazing thing is some people have multiple accounts/cards.  My account has been open since 2005 and I have keep it above water with no late fees.  I have only received one increase, which took the credit up to $300.00.  Of course as soon as I missed the first payment, that in turn caused me to be over the limit which resulted in an additional fee.  I want to call them and discuss the situation, but I am discouraged because how can I take care of this balance if they want it all at once or on time.  Like the person before, if I had the money I would take care of them, but now that I don't what to do now........Thank you

Anewday, this is what they wait for! They wait for us to screw up, then they tack on the overlimit fee 39 bucks and the late fee 39 bucks and the default apr 28%...gets you in a bigger hole that you cant get out of and then when you call them they don't care... I've been there done that!
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any suggestions on how to handle the situation now.  I am not made of money.  Thank you
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.