Capital One - Small payments vs large payments

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One - Small payments vs large payments

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

I have found three points of view on this subject.

1) It is just time, pay in full.

(The don't care and just want to see history of good payments) * My opinion

2) Let 80-90% utilization report then pay.

(They see you need more)

3) Make a lot of small payments.

(They see you need more)

OP, don't let 80-90% utilization report under any circumstances. If you want to take it to 80-90% and then pay it before your statement cut date that is fine.

Cap1 likes larger payments, not smaller. 

It's bad advice suggesting the OP to let a maxed card report.

+1

With my credit reports Cap1 reports new balances after the new statement cuts so it's preferable to get that down to less than %30 at least, more ideally less than 9%, before the due date.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

I have found three points of view on this subject.

1) It is just time, pay in full.

(The don't care and just want to see history of good payments) * My opinion

2) Let 80-90% utilization report then pay.

(They see you need more)

3) Make a lot of small payments.

(They see you need more)

OP, don't let 80-90% utilization report under any circumstances. If you want to take it to 80-90% and then pay it before your statement cut date that is fine.

Cap1 likes larger payments, not smaller. 

It's bad advice suggesting the OP to let a maxed card report.

+1

With my credit reports Cap1 reports new balances after the new statement cuts so it's preferable to get that down to less than %30 at least, more ideally less than 9%, before the due date.

It's preferable to let less than 30% at least, more ideally less than 9%**BEFORE STATEMENT CUTS**.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everone for responding. I think i got many good points that I can draw conclusions from

1. Swipe as many times as I can

2. Get is to 80-90% utilization (during the billing cycle)

3. Make large payments and repeat number 2 above

4. Pay down to 9% utilization before statement cuts

5. Pay the statement balance in full

Message 13 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks to everone for responding. I think i got many good points that I can draw conclusions from

That's fine but it's not necessary to swipe as many times as you can or to get it to 80 or 90% utilization during the billing cycle.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Perfect plan!!

Message 15 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Abundantcredit,
Just don't purchase things you don't want/need just to get a swipe. IMO, it can get you into a bad habit in the long run. Just think if your limit was $3K, that 80-90% would be a $2.4-2.7K monthly spend. Just swipe what you can afford to pay back to keep your balance <9% and you're on your way to a healthy credit profile. Follow grillandwinemasters advice and you'll be on the right track. Just my 2cents. Good luck.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

That's fine but it's not necessary to swipe as many times as you can or to get it to 80 or 90% utilization during the billing cycle.

It's not necessary, but if they are all transactions that he was going to make regardless (perhaps on other cards) and he puts them through this card and is able to bring the card to 80%-90% utilization during a cycle it would give the creditor more incentive to CLI.  As the person above stated, the OP shouldn't unnecessarily spend just to "get swipes" but if he moves spend from other cards to stimulate more activity on the card in discussion here it can only help. 

I do this with a lot of my cards 2-3 cycles before requesting a CLI... move spend from other cards over to the one I'm looking to CLI in order to register more activity/spend on it.  I've always had good results doing this.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.