Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Sux! Just venting.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Sux! Just venting.

I have a very old Cap1 card that i have not used for years b/c it has a ridiculously high APR and very low CL. I also have an old Household Bank card that is only very slightly better. HHBank was bought by Cap1. Both have zero balances.

I also have an HSBC Platinum card that is not so bad, actually decent APR but not great CL. Guess what -- it also is now owned by Capital One!

Yesterday I called the number on my HSBC card and told them that I want to close my Cap1 and HHBank cards. I would like to have those CLs moved to my HSBC card. Why not - they are all Cap1 cards now!

"Sorry, but it is Capital One's policy NOT to combine credit limits from different cards. Ever."

"Never??? OK, well, how about seeing if I can get a CLI on my HSBC card?"

"Sorry, HSBC is not offering any credit limit increases right now."

"Well, I'm pretty sure that my credit score has changed significantly since any of these cards were opened, and I have not pulled a credit check for years, so even if you do a hard check I wouldn't mind. Maybe I can get a little bit of a CLI?"

"I'm sorry, but we are not offering any credit limit increases right now, regardless of your credit situation."

"OK, when do you think I can check back for one?"

"I don't know sir, maybe in six months?"

"Wow. Well, what good are any of these cards? I dont have any balances on any of them. Why would I even use them? Maybe I can get a BT offer?"

"Sorry, sir. There are no balance transfer offers for this card."

"OK. I guess these are all just totally useless cards?"
"I guess so. Is there any thing else I can help you with? Alright, have a nice day."

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Sux! Just venting.

If your credit has improved, you could apply for better cards.  I have a Capital One card that I don't use also, but I keep it just because it has a 0% ForEx fee, which is uncommon short of a specifically labeled travel card or a card from certain credit unions.  If they want to close it due to the fact that I don't use it at all, thats fine with me, but I'm holding onto it for now.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Dollardan I would suggest calling Cap1 Executive Offices. 1800 955 1455. They have been very helpful for long term cardholders.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 19
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Well, I'm pretty sure that my credit score has changed significantly since any of these cards were opened, and I have not pulled a credit check for years, so even if you do a hard check I wouldn't mind. Maybe I can get a little bit of a CLI?"

You can do better it seems, so make the hard INQ happen yourself by apping for a better card.  Many of us (me included) had luck with the Cap1 EO but I honestly only got $500 CLI.  Two weeks later Amex gave me a $6800 CLI.  Their lower-end cards don't seem to grow with you.  It's like they don't want to admit people can improve their creditworthiness and graduate them to a more prime-targeted product.  For me they extended credit when the bigs all declined me, but now that I've rebuilt things they only think I'm safe with $1250.  Amex and Barclay's disagree, so that's where my spending goes now.  They did waive the AF and add rewards but I only use the card for cheap auto-bill charges <$15/month.  My others get ~$2500/month now.  I guess Cap1 is fine losing out on thatSmiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 19
sandman2435
Established Contributor

You have to have the high end cards with Capital one from what I have learned over the past year..for them to work with you..I had 3 rebulider cards..closed them out and went and app for a venture card(The blue one which is one of their best cards) even though it has a fee of $59.00(First year is waived)its well worth it..I went from a 5K limit to 12K limit in just 4 months time

Message 5 of 19
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

You really need to contact the Exec Office.  That's what I did.  I went from having a rebuilder Plat Visa with a $1300 limit and a $39 annual fee, to a 1.5% Cash Rewards Visa Signature card with a $8,000 limit, no annual fee, 12.15% APR and also now have a 0% BT offer.  And no HP at all.

Good luck!!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 6 of 19
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Dollardan I would suggest calling Cap1 Executive Offices. 1800 955 1455. They have been very helpful for long term cardholders.

OMG.....the number publicly posted??!!??

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 7 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

OMG.....the number publicly posted??!!??

Eh...

Its gone around enough and their still around. I don't think it would be a big deal now. Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The number has been publicly posted on this forum for over a year now. Its the email address that isn't.
Message 9 of 19
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

i know...i was just being dumb.

At least it probably prevented 40 replies requesting it to be PM'd to them.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.