Established Contributor
PurpleHaze

Capital One ... They Got me

I have had a Capital One card since 2004.  They were the first company to give me a credit card when I started my rebuilding after paying off a charge off account with them. The card started at $200 and had one cli to $500 abt 2-3 years ago and nothing else since. When I called for CLIs or after reading about success on the board I got the standard response "Your card is not eligible at this time."  No late payments since opened. I finally resigned myself to the fact the card would not grow.

Fast forward to 1 week ago. I get an email from Capital One stated they value me being a customer since 2004 and want me to apply for a new card with no annual fee, 0% Apr through March 2011, however has a high variable APR.  I called in answered the basic questions and the representative offered me a different card. Same offer as the other, although lower APR (19.24) and $39.00 annual fee. I assumed if I tried for something other than what was in the email I would automatically get shot down, so I told just process for the original offer.

So I held for 60 seconds and heard the magic words ... "Congratulations, you have been approved ..."  Then came the hammer "with a $500 limit."  Geesh I cant win for losing .... they got me again :smileysurprised:

Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Capital One ... They Got me

LOL. Sorry that happened. I also got the same e-mail and I was thinking, "Hmmm, do I want another low limit CC?". I deleted it without thinking twice.

New Contributor
bubblebutt

[ Edited ]

i wish they unsecured mine

starting score 549
current score 702 TU , 708 EQ, EX ??
goal score 740

New Contributor
g35_ab05

Congrats on the new card. I got the same offer via email, applied, same CL! :smileyhappy: I was disappointed as well, considering my existing CapOne has a $2k credit limit and I've been with them since 2003. But, I'm going to give it a year of good use and see if they give me an auto CLI. If not, I will likely close it and stick with my existing CapOne, Discover, and Amex. Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ: 651
Current Score: EQ: 664 | TU: 665 - 03/2010
                       EQ: 673 | TU: 681 | EX Plus: 663 - 05/2010
Goal Score: EQ: 710 | TU: 710

Established Contributor
PurpleHaze

llecs wrote:

LOL. Sorry that happened. I also got the same e-mail and I was thinking, "Hmmm, do I want another low limit CC?". I deleted it without thinking twice.

so ummm where were you to let me know it would be a low limit card lol.  I was in a fantasy world.  Does anyone know how I can find out if this is a credit steps card and/or how I can be considered for one?

Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

PurpleHaze wrote:

llecs wrote:

so ummm where were you to let me know it would be a low limit card lol.  I was in a fantasy world.  Does anyone know how I can find out if this is a credit steps card and/or how I can be considered for one?

I don't know..does CapOne even grant high-limit CCs anymore? Maybe I haven't been in here enough (probably a good thing), but I can't recall any approved limits over $1000 in quite some time. I know someone will correct me though.

Established Contributor
Uncle_Money

Good question! My 2 Cap One cards haven't budged. One has a limit of $1,250 and the other $750. I keep them for the history.

Equifax Fico 785 as of 01/18/2012
Valued Member
LADYBUSA

:smileyvery-happy:WE WOULD BE STUCK IT A WORLD OF BAAD CREDIT...WE CAN FIGHT IN NUMBERS..THEY DO

Starting Score: EQ 495
Current Score: EQ 694 4/10
Goal Score: 760 + 12/10

Sablescorpion

Hi Purple,

Okay granted, I did this seven years ago so I don't know if its relevant now but what I did was call to ask them to lower my APR especially since I paid the bill consistently on time several years prior.  They said no.....but offered to raise my limit.  It went from $300 to $600.  Here's a good way to get it increased......don't use it for a loooooong time!  Worked for me, I've now got a 4k limit.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+