Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One: Three Hard Inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One: Three Hard Inquiries

The subject looks like a title of a horror movie for us, FICO'ers. lol. 

So here is my credit plan-- I am going to be spending $1.5k here coming up shortly in one purchase and I thought about ways to maximize some rewards for that purchase. I have decided to apply for the Capital One Quicksilver and the Capital One VentureOne cards. I thought about applying for a Citi Double Cash, but there are too many forums about low starting limits on there--- opposite of what I want seeing as I am trying to bring my utilization down. (13%). 

The Quicksilver will give me $100 cash back if I spend $500 in 3 months. 

The VentureOne will give me $200 in travel credit if I spend $1,000 in 3 months (more than likely going to travel in a few months). 

MY QUESTION is if I apply for both the QS and the VentureOne card immediately after the first, will that result in the typical 3 hard pulls that Capital One will do or 6 since I am doing two cards the same day?

Also, if I want to end this game coming out with the highest available credit that day, which card should I apply for first? 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One: Three Hard Inquiries

Usually no. Just one round of pulls. But not guaranteed. Good look. 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered the Venture card instead of the VentureOne? 

Message 3 of 21
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Always 1 pull on each bureau for my back to back apps.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did, thank you for the recommendation though. My spending annually isn't hardly close enough to justify that AF. I noticed after I got my AMEX that I could never get another AF card. 

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Venture AF is waived the first year. If you got both, you could rollover the Venture credit line to the Quicksilver and cancel the Venture before the AF is due. 

Message 6 of 21
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

When I app'd for my VentureOne cards back to back it was only one rounds of HP's...but I've read where others have tried the same and received 2 rounds of HP's.  It's a YMMV kinda thing...

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like someone above said, the Venture AF is waived for the first year, and it tends to give a much higher SL than the V1. You could either merge it into your QS before the AF hits, or convert it then to the V1 with no AF.
As for the pulls, i'm pretty sure you always pull each bureau for each app, so you will get hit twice. However, the CRA's typically automatically delete the second inquiry because they assume it was an error. YMMV, but that's my theory based on multiple stories i've seen where users got notifications for 2 inquiries from their monitoring services, but later see that the second one gets deleted.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the thing though: I don't mind apping and canceling the AF cards after the first year, as long as it doesn't affect my AAoA or add any other eye raisers to my CR. I don't want the creditors to think I am "credit surfing." I just recently closed my AMEX due to the high AF. 

If I app for the Venture and then transfer the whole limit to my Quicksilver after my first year is up, would it show as a closed or open account? What if I even converted it down to the VentureOne? Would I have to take another HP for that? 

EDIT: Nevermind guys, forget the Venture card. There is no 0% interest promo. I'd probably rack up on these cards and want to not pay it off so quickly, so looks like only the QS and V1 are my only ones. 

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

eeeek. with your scores, limits and profile, why bother with capital one??

use 1 inquiry with chase(might be 2 because thats how they roll), get 200 with aarp and combine with ihg for several free nights and another $50

use 1 more inquiry with bank of america for another 175-200.

get the arrival plus which has 0 for 12 months https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards/barclaycard-arrival-plus-world-elite-mastercard.html pair that inquiry with another card if u can afford the spend. combine with cash forward  for another $100

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.