Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Tier Levels

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Capital One Tier Levels

I have seen a few posts about Cap1 cards with different tier levels which determine if or how much of a CLI you can have, can someone give a little more insight?? I have 2 cards, one platinum visa at $500 since 2004 (my first credit card) and another that was opened last September that was in credit steps so it went from $500->$750. I know they likely won't grow to thousands of dollars but I wonder will they ever grow past this point?

How did you find out (i.e. how should I word the question when I call in to ask-everytime I call and ask something the rep is reading from a script and misses the point of my question) and who do I call (back door number or the regular number on the back of my card)?

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MagicShot
Contributor

Re: Capital One Tier Levels

@chan85 wrote:

I have seen a few posts about Cap1 cards with different tier levels which determine if or how much of a CLI you can have, can someone give a little more insight?? I have 2 cards, one platinum visa at $500 since 2004 (my first credit card) and another that was opened last September that was in credit steps so it went from $500->$750. I know they likely won't grow to thousands of dollars but I wonder will they ever grow past this point?

How did you find out (i.e. how should I word the question when I call in to ask-everytime I call and ask something the rep is reading from a script and misses the point of my question) and who do I call (back door number or the regular number on the back of my card)?

Yeah I would like to know too because I have a card like this. havent messed with it cu i dont want any more INQs atm.

Message 2 of 11
OneStepFurther
Established Member

I'm not sure if this is the thread you're speaking of.  When I came across it awhile back, I thought it was useful info and figured I should make a note of it.  I completely forgot about it until I saw your post and had to dig around for it!  Smiley Happy 

I'm not sure if there's a more recent post with updated information.  Maybe someone else will be able to direct you to it if there is. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Credit-Limits-by-Card/m-p/208506/highlight/...

Message 3 of 11
chan85
Established Contributor

onestep thank you!!! that gives me hope lol
Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 4 of 11
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

I had to call CAP 1 last the other night because I hadn't received my card yet.  I figured I'd ask about CLIs (in the event they might offer me one) and specifically about max CLs.  The rep insured me there was no max on my card.  It knew it sounded too good to be true.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 5 of 11
Bop
Valued Member

I have a Cap One card since 2007 , limit was $500. Past 4 years I asked for increase and they didn’t. Last week I logged in to cap one and I see my limit was increased to $2000. Only think I did in past one month is I paid down my Credit Utilization from 90%  to 3%.

Message 6 of 11
chan85
Established Contributor

Did you use your cap1 alot??
Current Debt Management:
$10k NFCU

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Message 7 of 11
OneStepFurther
Established Member

@Bop - Did your CLI fall in line with the tiers levels that was posted in that other thread? Just wondering if they have changed the cap amounts since 2008 when that other thread was written.

@Chan85 - You're welcome, glad I could help!

(edited to address my question to Bop)

Message 8 of 11
Bop
Valued Member

@chan85 wrote:
Did you use your cap1 alot??

Yes , i usally use Cap1 all month and then pay off and re-use them.

Message 9 of 11
Bop
Valued Member

i don't know .. i haven't seen any activity in FICO score

@OneStepFurther wrote:

@Bop - Did your CLI fall in line with the tiers levels that was posted in that other thread? Just wondering if they have changed the cap amounts since 2008 when that other thread was written.

@chan85 - You're welcome, glad I could help!

(edited to address my question to Bop)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.