Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Upgrade finally

tag
jonald11
Valued Member

Capital One Upgrade finally

I just got upgraded to Capital One Venture after being with them since 1999. I've hated them pretty much all the way, but yesterday it was very pleasant and easy.

I have two cards with them, one with a $5,800 limit. It started as $300, stayed at $800 for a decade and suddenly jumped to $4,800 18 months ago without any request. Last year it jumped to $5,800.

My other card is $2,100 and hasn't budged, despite occasional efforts by me.

So I called this number, 877-513-9959 and a very nice woman called up my account and said it is approved for an update. They gave me the choice of either Venture card, one with no fee, the other with 2 points per dollar and $59 fee. Took maybe 5 seconds. No hard pull, no nothing. 

What's really odd is that one day earlier I called on the other card and got two of the rudest, most idiotic men ever born. They really shouldn't even have jobs.

Other than the waived fee and the Venture program, nothing changed. Same interest rate, same $5,800 credit rating etc. I just keep it for the no foreign transaction fees.

So that is about it. I had just used their pre-selector site and got approved for all their cards across the board, but I don't think it had anything to do with it.

I just checked my Myfico Equifax credit for the first time in about 5 years and found out it is extremely high,  so it shocked me but made me realize it's probably time to get other cards and move away from this HSBC/Capital One crap I've been carrying. But no fee and no foreign transactions will make it stay.

But, for whatever reason upgrades are happening, and I figured I'd pass it along. Good luck.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Capital One Upgrade finally

Congrats ! You hit the Cap1 upgrade lottery ~ maybe it was the fact that you had did 10 years hard time at a rebuilder CL. Who knows.....
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 300 limit card just went to 500 but I dont think I am patient enough to wait for 10 years for a CLI lol

Message 3 of 8
SocalMark
Regular Contributor

"Cap1 upgrade lottery " now that's Funny. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the upgrade! I just had a similiar experience. I've been rebuilding my credit the past two years and my first card (opened in November 2010) was the Capital One Platinum with no perks or anything. It started at a $500 limit, then went to $750 (their 'credit steps' program) and then  a jump to $1,250 (just logged in one day to their website and my CL increased automaticaly). I've been stuck at this limit for maybe 8 months so far but I'm not sure if this is the max for that type of card. I asked for a CLI about three months ago and got the same automated response everyone else does when they ask. I received an e-mail from them this past week about upgrading this account to the cash rewards card and all I had to do was call. So I called and upgraded (the gentleman on the phone said 'Congrats! This was a very limited offer that went out to our customers' - not sure how true that is!). Nothing else changed (my APR or credit limit) but at least I can get rewards now. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I opened a Discover More card last week for the 5% cash back and got a $1,000 credit limit. I think this was just Capital One's tricks when they checked my credit report and saw I just got the Discover card. Nevertheless, I'm not thrilled about it because my credit limits are still on the low side, but I'm content for now. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Congratulations to the two of you.

I've been with Capital One for four years and I'll probably still keep their card (came in very useful when I went out of the country a few years ago).

However, I won't hold my breath for a product change or an upgrade

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 6 of 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@SocalMark wrote:

A new report in the NY Times says that you have a better chance of winning the 'Mega Millions' than with the Cap1 upgrade lottery or CLI lottery.  They also reported that you would have better chances of getting hit with lightning at the same time a Cobra is biting you in Alaska.  Later in the report they also showed how your credit limit increases happen using a math word problem.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bernhardtra wrote:

@SocalMark wrote:

A new report in the NY Times says that you have a better chance of winning the 'Mega Millions' than with the Cap1 upgrade lottery or CLI lottery.  They also reported that you would have better chances of getting hit with lightning at the same time a Cobra is biting you in Alaska.  Later in the report they also showed how your credit limit increases happen using a math word problem.

I would be laughing if it was not so close to the truth...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.