Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Upgrade it or close

tag
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Upgrade it or close

My first card was my cap one platinum MasterCard and the card is either seemingly stalled at a limit of 3,000 or has hit it's maximum. They keep sending me letters to add QuickSilver to my collection of Cap One cards but I don't want to be bothered with them honestly. It is unfortunately my oldest card but if there's no more growth left on my particular card, what can I do ? Even if I were to accept the QS will be the max on that card?
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Upgrade it or close

@LShawn08 wrote:
My first card was my cap one platinum MasterCard and the card is either seemingly stalled at a limit of 3,000 or has hit it's maximum. They keep sending me letters to add QuickSilver to my collection of Cap One cards but I don't want to be bothered with them honestly. It is unfortunately my oldest card but if there's no more growth left on my particular card, what can I do ? Even if I were to accept the QS will be the max on that card?

I would try to get the upgrade to the QS with no AF, the 3K is not necessarily the top limit of the card in fact that limit should get you the no AF QS.

Message 2 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I would upgrade! Cap1 has started to do all right for a lot of people with CLI.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 19
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I would definitely keep it open. A 3k limit still isn't too bad as compared to others who have stalled at 1k or even less. Do a PC to QS and then try a CLI via the EO. Any CLI's or attempts at one will usually be a SP anyway so it won't be like you're wasting hard pulls for no growth. I don't mind my Quicksilver and the extra .5% on general spend can add up to a few more bucks by the end of the year.

Message 4 of 19
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@LShawn08 wrote:

I know it seems ridiculous to have to email for basic customer service, but IMO it is worth that one last shot before closing.  There is NO way to tell what mood Crapital One will be in on any given day.  Like you, I am getting really sick of having to bend over backwards to deal with them but I do intend to give them one last chance before closing my cards at AF time.

You have nothing to loose beyond the time it takes to type the email and you never know...  The stars might align and their magic 8-ball might tell them to value you as a customer that day.  Stranger things have happened.

Message 5 of 19
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@LShawn08 wrote:

I think that depends, on how much you put on the card and how often you use the card.

Message 6 of 19
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

AF ? I put charges on the card very sparingly maybe every other month.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 7 of 19
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@LShawn08 wrote:
AF ? I put charges on the card very sparingly maybe every other month.

I am not a Capital One fan~ specially when they pull all 3 credit reports when I apply for one of their credit cards.

I will avoid Cappital One even if they send me 100s of invitations beside, there are plenty cards out there to apply for that only pull one credit report in lieu of all 3.

Go for other cards instead.

Message 8 of 19
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

You should ask to PC to the QuickSilver and at least make it a more useful card.   And it wouldn't hurt to also go for a CLI.  If the frontline CSRs or the website isn't helpful, contact the EO.  There's a ton of threads on the boards about the Cap One EO and how to get the email.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

How old is it? I closed out quite a few Cap1 cards because of lack of CLI. Reflecting on that, I might as well have left them open since there was no AF.

I wouldnt upgrade to QS1 or Quicksilver if you barely use it, unless theyre giving you the Quicksilver with no AF. Go out and get a nice Amex Fidelity and get more bang for your buck.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.