Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Upgrade

tag
BullsEye10
New Contributor

Capital One Upgrade

So, I have had a Capital One Platinum since February 2011, when I started getting serious about rebuilding my credit score and portfolio.  It started out as a $750.00 credit limit and then auto increased to $1,750 over the next 9 months.  Then, of course, nothing for over a year, despite my scores getting better and a perfect payment history.

Their refusal to increase my limit wasn't devastating, since in the meantime I obtained a CSP ($22.5K) and an AMEX Plat.  That said, I was annoyed that I still had a toy limit with Cap 1 so this past Spring, I contacted the Executive Office (I started a thread on this) and the annual fee was waived, and my credit limit was increased to $7,500.00.

Good news, right?  But it gets better (I think)

This morning I log onto my email and see an email from Cap 1:

Re: Your account ending in ________

_____________________, 

You’ve been doing a great job with your Capital One® card. Now you’re ready to earn travel rewards! You’re already approved for an upgrade to VentureOne® or Venture® miles.Just call us with your choice of bigger and better rewards.

[PICTURES OF THE CARDS WITH BRIEF SUMMARY OF BENEFITS AND FEES]

Both upgrades boost your ability to earn travel rewards that let you fly free on any airline with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. Both give you the ability to redeem miles for any travel expense, like airfare, hotel rooms, or car rentals. And, your miles don’t expire! 

You’re already approved for this upgrade, so there’s no need to reapply. You’re just adding rewards to your current account."

Has this happened to anyone else?  I have never asked for a product change from them (and frankly, I haven't even used the increased credit limit, I put 95% of my charges on my CSP)

Is this worth it?  Should I demand another CLI to do it? 

Thanks in advance

AMEX Platinum - NPSL (Approved for $75,000.00)
AMEX Gold Business - NPSL
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22,500.00)
Bank of America Cash Rewards ($5,000.00) - Sock Drawer
Discover ($4,500.00) - Sock Drawer
Capital One Venture ($7,500) - Sock Drawer
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Upgrade

Wow! Congrats that is great surprise Smiley Wink.
MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats !!  I'd take it, and hopefully will lead to additional CLIs in the future.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Looks like a win/win! Many people have had rewards added to thier cards by the EO simliar to how they are explaining there. I dont see a reason to say no!

Message 4 of 8
MF13

Would this upgrade effectively close your existing Capital One account and open a new account? Or would your new card continue to report to the credit bureaus as the same account? Closing an account with a long history is a bad idea right? Is there any way to make sure this upgrade doesn't close the old account before accepting the upgrade?
Message 5 of 8
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Mf13...it wouldn't close it at all...it'll just be a different product but history, account age etc will remain...

Op...I'd take the offer! Congrats!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 8
Christian123
New Contributor

I got the same offer today! I took the ventureone with no AF. Congrats!
Starting Scores 3/10---EQ 495, TU 505
5/13- EQ 720, TU 722, EX 696(Lender Pull)
Gardening since 5/2013 until 3/2014
Closed on dream home- 12/17/13
Message 7 of 8
MF13

@djc1puno wrote:
Mf13...it wouldn't close it at all...it'll just be a different product but history, account age etc will remain...

Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.