Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture: AF waived?

tag
ludawg23
Established Member

Re: Capital One Venture: AF waived?

What travel restriction? I do not believe there's a restriction if you're using the travel eraser to redeem miles.

Message 21 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

What travel restriction? I do not believe there's a restriction if you're using the travel eraser to redeem miles.

OK, so say all I buy on the card is groceries at my local supermarket.   Can I use those points to erase some of those purchases?

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ludawg23 wrote:

OK, so say all I buy on the card is groceries at my local supermarket.   Can I use those points to erase some of those purchases?

No but you knew the answer 😀

Message 23 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ludawg23 wrote:

No but you knew the answer 😀

"explaining" what I meant by travel restriction!

Message 24 of 35
ludawg23
Established Member

Your post is misleading - there is no "travel restriction" per se as you can get reimbursed for majority of your travel expenses charged through the card.

You assume that people who actually get this card who use it extensive would be aware that you get the most out of your card by using the travel eraser function where you redeem, each of those points are worth one cent.  If you have the $2 to 1 point card, that equates to a 2% return.

Why would I get this card to try and get reimbursed for grocery expenses? I'm better off using my AMEX Blue Cash or Chase Freedom (5% category rate for Groceries)

No need to cherry pick the terms Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ludawg23 wrote:

Your post is misleading - there is no "travel restriction" per se as you can get reimbursed for majority of your travel expenses charged through the card.

You assume that people who actually get this card who use it extensive would be aware that you get the most out of your card by using the travel eraser function where you redeem, each of those points are worth one cent.  If you have the $2 to 1 point card, that equates to a 2% return.

Why would I get this card to try and get reimbursed for grocery expenses? I'm better off using my AMEX Blue Cash or Chase Freedom (5% category rate for Groceries)

No need to cherry pick the terms Smiley Wink

I have the card but everything he is saying is true.  There are better cards out there with no AF that accomplish the same thing

Message 26 of 35
ludawg23
Established Member

A better card that gives 50K bonus?

Or if you were lucky enough to get the 100K bonus? Highly doubt there are better cards if you include that aspect of it to go along with the 2%

You'd be hard pressed to find something better.

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ludawg23 wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

For those who have the 2% card, has anyone had anyone success getting the AF waived?

I was able to find a thread from the Flyer forums back that was back in 2012.

Love the card - have over 80K points and would love to stay.  I've read that some have had no trouble at all while others have been unsuccessful.

Thanks.

I thought the whole point of your original question was whether to continue to pay the AF so the bonus points don't  come into the picture any longer

Message 28 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ludawg23 wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

For those who have the 2% card, has anyone had anyone success getting the AF waived?

I was able to find a thread from the Flyer forums back that was back in 2012.

Love the card - have over 80K points and would love to stay.  I've read that some have had no trouble at all while others have been unsuccessful.

Thanks.

I thought the whole point of your original question was whether to continue to pay the AF so the bonus points don't  come into the picture any longer

Right.   And the "travel restriction" IS a restriction.  With Double Cash for example I can get cash back (or statement credit) to offset ANY charge not just travel related.

And with other 2% cards, ALL points are worth 1 cents when redeeming for cash, equalling a 2% return.

I really find it hard to understand the defense of this card after the first year.   Apart from FTF, it is certainly no better, and in many ways worse, than a free card, and it would take a lot of FTF to make up the AF.   For heavy spenders, the Arrival Plus has an advantage, not so the Venture.

I get that people like it, but that shouldn't prevent an objective evaluation.

Message 29 of 35
ludawg23
Established Member

If you want to get into semantics, it's NOT a travel restriction as you can get reimbursed for ALL travel expenses.

Not being able to get reimbursed for Groceries is a REDEMPTION restriction if you want to get technical.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.