tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Venture: AF waived?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ludawg23 wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

For those who have the 2% card, has anyone had anyone success getting the AF waived?

I was able to find a thread from the Flyer forums back that was back in 2012.

Love the card - have over 80K points and would love to stay.  I've read that some have had no trouble at all while others have been unsuccessful.

Thanks.

I thought the whole point of your original question was whether to continue to pay the AF so the bonus points don't  come into the picture any longer

Right.   And the "travel restriction" IS a restriction.  With Double Cash for example I can get cash back (or statement credit) to offset ANY charge not just travel related.

You assume that people who actually get this card who use it extensive would be aware that you get the most out of your card by using the travel eraser function where you redeem, each of those points are worth one cent.  If you have the $2 to 1 point card, that equates to a 2% return.

And with other 2% cards, ALL points are worth 1 cents when redeeming for cash, equalling a 2% return.

I really find it hard to understand the defense of this card after the first year.   Apart from FTF, it is certainly no better, and in many ways worse, than a free card, and it would take a lot of FTF to make up the AF.   For heavy spenders, the Arrival Plus has an advantage, not so the Venture.

I get that people like it, but that shouldn't prevent an objective evaluation.

It is a visa sig, I'm not sure those other cards are. That fact could have value to someone I suppose. I liked using it for rental cars, you can do partial redemptions, the points earned post faster than my other cards. In May when the AF is due I will try to get it waived or PC to a QS which I will likely never use. I rarely use the venture card, except at app time when I want to clean up my credit report and not show high balances on lenders who I am going to app with. Not really worth the AF IMO. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 31 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

If you want to get into semantics, it's NOT a travel restriction as you can get reimbursed for ALL travel expenses.

Not being able to get reimbursed for Groceries is a REDEMPTION restriction if you want to get technical.

Great point.

Message 32 of 35
happypill
Valued Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

Damn - talk about getting your topic hijacked lol Smiley Very Happy

But I'm glad to report back that getting the AF waived was a SUCCESS.

Spoke to a "Supervisor" who looked over our account and said that we were one of their best customers ($30K credit line, PIF each month and running about $3K in expenses each month)

Will keep for at least another year.

Congrats on getting the AF waived.  Just to clarify, was it waived one-time or permanantly?

Message 33 of 35
ludawg23
Established Member

They mentioned it was a "one time" waive but some card owners posted on the flyer boards that they have received it multiple years.

Message 34 of 35
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

They mentioned it was a "one time" waive but some card owners posted on the flyer boards that they have received it multiple years.

I was wondering about that.

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.