Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture Cards - Not A Frequent Flyer

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Venture Cards - Not A Frequent Flyer

@longtimelurker wrote:

But after the sign up bonus and free first year, there is no advantage to paying the AF for another year, unless you have a lot of foreign expenses.   The card is basically a 2% card with the best redemption (travel) and you can get cards that give 2% cash back without restriction

yes i think most travel cards are only really beneficial for first year, once af kicks in you need to put major spending in to make the AF worth it. Especially when Double cash is out there. The only time when that may be not the case is when you have points that can transfer to partners like MR, UR, SPG and specific airline cards. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 19
elim
Senior Contributor

Venture = 1st 10k card to a rebuilder and $430 in cab fare.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thassa lotta cab fare!
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't travel a lot but I got the U.S. Airways and Citi AAdvantage card for the 100k miles combined. That's a nice flight or two. I also have hotel points so I'll have a nice vacation. I was thinking after I meet my spend req for the Citi AA and the Chase Sapphire Pref that I would look into Venture or Barclays Arrival+. Free vacations!

edit: as LTL pointed out, after the first year and sign on bonus definitely no reason to keep cards. I will keep Marriott as the only AF card since the free yearly hotel night.

Message 14 of 19
degs138
Established Contributor

Venture is a good card.  Fee of 59 instead of the 89 for arrival+.  Generaly if you're scaping for points you won't be able to use the WEMC perks.  You get two points for ever dollar spent and you can use them to erase gas purchases for travel, hotel stays and really anything you can convince Cap 1 is a travel purchase.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 15 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@degs138 wrote:

Venture is a good card.  Fee of 59 instead of the 89 for arrival+.  Generaly if you're scaping for points you won't be able to use the WEMC perks.  You get two points for ever dollar spent and you can use them to erase gas purchases for travel, hotel stays and really anything you can convince Cap 1 is a travel purchase.

I don't have either cards but this is my take on arrival+ vs venture. I think both are apply and drop after 1 year, unless your spending can support the AF. The reasons i would prefer Arrival+ over venture is 2.2% vs 2% value towards travel. The second one may not be as important but i would rather have one single TU pull vs triple pull from each bureau. The last reason which may not be that big of an deal , but arrival+ has an emv chip+pin which no other card has that i know of. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@degs138 wrote:

Bot for many people, are the WEMC worth the AF, plus the additional restrictions on redemption compared to DC (of Fid Amex etc)?   I just don't see the point in cards that restrict the best value redemption when the same 2% is available unrestricted for free.

Message 17 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

So, the Venture card would not benefit me at all since I'm not a flyer....correct?  I wanted clarification.  Smiley Wink

On the contrary. If you do travel but not with airlines then the Venture is an excellent card. If you would consider the Venture One without the AF then I would say rather get the Quicksilver which earns 1,5% and you can use the cash back not only for travel purchases but apply to any transaction. If you do not fly then MR, UR or airline specific cards or cards that transfer to partner programs would not be the best fit. But Venture or Arrival+ are nice cards for travel even when not flying. Both  are VI or  MC with great acceptance and no FTF. The 2% cards like Fidelity Amex or Citi DC will soon eat all the rewards if you travel outside th US due to their FTF. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@degs138 wrote:

I don't have either cards but this is my take on arrival+ vs venture. I think both are apply and drop after 1 year, unless your spending can support the AF. The reasons i would prefer Arrival+ over venture is 2.2% vs 2% value towards travel. The second one may not be as important but i would rather have one single TU pull vs triple pull from each bureau. The last reason which may not be that big of an deal , but arrival+ has an emv chip+pin which no other card has that i know of. 

I was going to say exactly that. The AF is irrelevant (to me, and many) because it's closed or PC after one year. Also the 3 pulls on Cap1 vs basically everywhere else is a big sting. I still have never had a Cap1 card because of that. I'm not saying they don't have good deals/cards but I like others first. I'm making my rounds on all the bonuses. I may get to it.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.