Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

Sort of embarrassing. Walked into Prada and my new Venture card declined the charge of 2400. I just spent 480 on groceries yesterday and I know I have a 20k limit. The Prada guy comes out and says, "maybe the card is maxed, do you have another card?" So shame Smiley Sad I told him to wait while I call Capital One. Waited 5min or so, after, I was transferred to Fraud department. All I had to do was read back a text message code. The fraud rep stated, "it was declined because it's a big purchase." In the back of my head, I was thinking, you call this a big purchase. I felt shame and didn't want to bust out my PRG or another card because I had to meet the spend on the Venture card. Anyway, Capital One approved the charges but I wanted to know if this is normal. Every time I try to make a purchase, will I have to call capital one because the charges were declined? I should just announce everytime I spend 2k or more and give them a headsup call. grrrr. Why give such a high credit limit if I can't use it. 

Anyone else experience your card being declined? Does it ever stop being declined (Future big purchases I mean)? Would love to hear your experiences.

*Edit*

After that, I went to Tory Burch and Coach and used my Discover because I didn't want to be shamed again. Lame if you ask me.

I know it is for fraud purposes, to protect the bank and me from hassle. If that was to happen, I have the app that shows a popup each time the card is used as well as the amount. (Wallet from Capital One) I can just lock the card via that app if I ever do see fraud.

Message 1 of 83
82 REPLIES 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

Sallie Mae Mastercard was declined when i tried to pay for my groceries with it via Google Wallet last year. Decided to just keep the cards I'm using on my person for now.

Message 2 of 83
elim
Senior Contributor

strange...   I use my two like double barrel shotgun, my last were 3k, 3.2k and they went through fine.   but, it's been a couple months since I ran a large purchase. eh... I guess if they fraud alert the cards sometime I understand.    it is their money.    I will just use a Chase cardand call em' up after

Message 3 of 83
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I would say that it's really rare.  And when it does happen, it can be quickly fixed.  Happened to me recently for the first time, and I had several ways to confirm the charges and unrestrict the fraud trigger (e.g., text, email).  I admit; I would be irritated that a clerk assumed my card was maxed, but it's not a big deal.  I still have more confidence in my Capital One than any other card.

Message 4 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awkward.  When my Venture was new w/$5k limit i made a single purchase of $2200 with no issues.  Sorry to hear about your trouble.  Maybe a call to Fraud dept to discuss it?

Message 5 of 83
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Hmm that's strange especially for a 20k limit, Christmas time I spent $3800 at Céline for DW with CSP no issues.
Message 6 of 83
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sort of embarrassing. Walked into Prada and my new Venture card declined the charge of 2400. I just spent 480 on groceries yesterday and I know I have a 20k limit. The Prada guy comes out and says, "maybe the card is maxed, do you have another card?" So shame Smiley Sad I told him to wait while I call Capital One. Waited 5min or so, after, I was transferred to Fraud department. All I had to do was read back a text message code. The fraud rep stated, "it was declined because it's a big purchase." In the back of my head, I was thinking, you call this a big purchase. I felt shame and didn't want to bust out my PRG or another card because I had to meet the spend on the Venture card. Anyway, Capital One approved the charges but I wanted to know if this is normal. Every time I try to make a purchase, will I have to call capital one because the charges were declined? I should just announce everytime I spend 2k or more and give them a headsup call. grrrr. Why give such a high credit limit if I can't use it. 

Anyone else experience your card being declined? Does it ever stop being declined (Future big purchases I mean)? Would love to hear your experiences.

*Edit*

After that, I went to Tory Burch and Coach and used my Discover because I didn't want to be shamed again. Lame if you ask me.

I know it is for fraud purposes, to protect the bank and me from hassle. If that was to happen, I have the app that shows a popup each time the card is used as well as the amount. (Wallet from Capital One) I can just lock the card via that app if I ever do see fraud.

I agree with everyone else that it's strange for you to have this problem with a Capital One card.  Just like several others have mentioned, my Quicksilver cards are my go-to cards if I ever have issues with cards from other issuers.  Simply put, they just work.

When my QS Visa was new last year, one of my first purchases was at an out-of-state hotel, approx. $900, and they didn't flinch. 

I'm sorry you had this problem, but I suspect now that they have a 'feel' for your purchase habits, it won't be a problem again.  As I've mentioned in other threads, I have made purchases in multiple states and international online - all in the same day - and they work with no problem.

Sidenote:  I do know how it feels to be hit with a fraud decline; my USAA card declined me at a grocery store a little over a year ago.  When it happened, I simply laughed it off, and told the cashier it was probably an issue with their fraud detection since I had been using the card a lot (it was the holidays), and I used my Capital One card which worked with no problem.  In your case, you were able to quickly recover - and use the card that was just declined with the same clerk - so there's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about since it was clearly not an issue on your end.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 83
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

One thing I notice about Capital One is that your 2nd transaction will always be declined (if it's a new card.)  They lock the account after your first transaction.  That's my experience-- then you call in and verify you made the purchase.  I have only had it happen when my cards have been new.

Message 8 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with others. It was just a fluke because of it being new. I made a 2500 purchase at a furniture store the other day.. Easy duz it.
Message 9 of 83
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Fraud is rampant. They are protecting themselves AND you. If some clerk told you me, maybe your maxed out, I would be offended would also explain to the clerk that YOU of all people should know there are various reasons for a decline. Assuming its maxed is  RUDE. imo.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 10 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.