Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

I'd read horror stories on the web about Cap 1 cards being declined, often right after activation. When my Venture arrived, I called to make sure a car repair charge would go through. The CS lady asked for a ballpark figure for the cost, and there were no problems running the charge through. Cap 1's website, as another poster mentioned, says you don't need to let them know if you're simply traveling to another state. Again, horror stories on the web lol  So, yeah, I called when I flew to Texas last year. It can be a PITA, but only takes a minute to avoid embarassment.

Message 31 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had this issue with QS1. Bought a package for Boston. 1300 dollars. Went to McDonald's and declined for 3 dollars lol. Took me min to fix it
Message 32 of 83
EJMiv
Valued Member

Honestly, I think a big part of it was the luxury retailer as well. If you had spent that much at like Best Buy, they probably would've had to call for approval since it was only your second transaction and fairly large, but not received an outright decline. The first time I made a purchase at Gucci on a BoA card years ago (that I had had for a while!), they froze my account and I had to call in and verify transactions and amounts because it was outside of my "usual" merchants. In my case, the Gucci charge did approve, and used my card fine the rest of the day. It was next day...can't remember if they called me or if I got an email asking to call in. 

Message 33 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my card decline after a purchase at GameStop a few years ago. A purchase of $250 which was out of the ordinary for that particular card. Used my other Cap One (the one I used more often) and it went through just fine.

Made another purchase at GameStop last year with the same card (the one I hardly use). It went through but I got an email and text asking if the purchase was made by me. Texted them yes and went on my marry way.

It happens. Embarrassing? Yes. But it's not the end of the world. Plus, you proved your point by being able to use the same card!

You: 1

Clerk: 0

Smiley Very Happy 

Message 34 of 83
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Capital One is one bank that has never declined a charge on me.

I believe they are the least likely bank among all the major banks to decline a charge for no good reason.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 35 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting experiences. Thank you all for the comforting words. I am glad that the community has my back. I feel less bad now. My wife whispering to me all embarrassed, "give them this card." She points to the PRG. I stood my ground while the clerk hovered against the wall next to us. 

Message 36 of 83
_NERD
Established Contributor

Something like that happened last week, right after I PIF. I charged a 55" TV for the weekend on my QS1, and made a couple small purchases. I was just about to go somewhere and use the card and saw I had an email from Cap 1. I had to click a button in the email to verify the transactions were legit, then the card was unlocked. I just happened to check my email when I saw the Cap 1 alert. I proudly would've been in the OP's position if I hadn't checked my email.

Yes, I returned the TV last Sunday. Didn't want the balance on my acct on the statement date (=

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 37 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jeffery581 wrote:

Fraud is rampant. They are protecting themselves AND you. If some clerk told you me, maybe your maxed out, I would be offended would also explain to the clerk that YOU of all people should know there are various reasons for a decline. Assuming its maxed is  RUDE. imo.

+1

Couldn't agree more...that response deserves a smack in the mouth, especially from a clerk at a 'high end' place like Prada.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be so surprised at some other place with $15/hr demanding quality 'help' who'd automatically assume,

'must be maxed' b/c that's the LIFE 'they' live....

Them I'd be more understanding of the need for enlightenment, b/c they actually may not know any better, as their time and effort is spent

elsewhere...their management would be to blame for not training the schmucks 'up' but at Prada or anywhere, other than the swapmeet or fleamarket,

that's an outrageously dumb assumption

a) to make and

b) to express OUT LOUD to a client

There are ppl 'forced' to pay ANTBODY breathing $15/hr and there ppl who feel that breathing qualifies them to DESERVE it but show no class nor willingness

to provide excellent service.....

I agree that the clerk's behavior was very rude and that a complaint to management or an indictment of training procedures at the store would be reasonable.

However, I am and know many others with income in the $15/hr range and can say with absolute certainty that both level of politeness as well as quality of spending and credit decisions have no inherent correlation with income. Please do not assume that someone will act poorly or make poor credit decisions simply because they make less money than you. Thank you.

Message 38 of 83
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If I have a "bigger" purchase, (which is rare these days for me, and out of my normal spend habits), I call the lender to give them a "quick heads up" that Ill be having a few bigger purchases coming up.

Whenever Ive done that, the charges go thru like a champ. BUT....Ive also used the heck out of my cards, and have had them for awhile now, and PIF and never carry a balance, plus I make large PIF payments.

What works for me, won't necessarily work for others, but I do take the time to let my lender know of bigger purchases. Ive had Cap 1 tell me that its not necessary for me to let them know of every semi-larger purchases, since Im established with them too.
Message 39 of 83
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sort of embarrassing. Walked into Prada and my new Venture card declined the charge of 2400. I just spent 480 on groceries yesterday and I know I have a 20k limit. The Prada guy comes out and says, "maybe the card is maxed, do you have another card?" So shame Smiley Sad I told him to wait while I call Capital One. Waited 5min or so, after, I was transferred to Fraud department. All I had to do was read back a text message code. The fraud rep stated, "it was declined because it's a big purchase." In the back of my head, I was thinking, you call this a big purchase. I felt shame and didn't want to bust out my PRG or another card because I had to meet the spend on the Venture card. Anyway, Capital One approved the charges but I wanted to know if this is normal. Every time I try to make a purchase, will I have to call capital one because the charges were declined? I should just announce everytime I spend 2k or more and give them a headsup call. grrrr. Why give such a high credit limit if I can't use it. 

Anyone else experience your card being declined? Does it ever stop being declined (Future big purchases I mean)? Would love to hear your experiences.

*Edit*

After that, I went to Tory Burch and Coach and used my Discover because I didn't want to be shamed again. Lame if you ask me.

I know it is for fraud purposes, to protect the bank and me from hassle. If that was to happen, I have the app that shows a popup each time the card is used as well as the amount. (Wallet from Capital One) I can just lock the card via that app if I ever do see fraud.

It's a new card. Pravda would be a fun first stop for a fraud purchase, no? Thank Cap One for looking out for you.

I have a $10k C1 card, with good charge, BT and payment history. Didn't use it for many charges leading up to the end of 2013, 10 years use. Had to charge a nearly $5k new transmission. Gave the card to the cashier, swipe, badum, approved in 2 seconds. Once you establish some activity, there won't be any problems, unless some strange charge appears.

And if someone were to go to Prada to try to use your card, you'd want to know about it, right?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 40 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.