Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Venture Declined at Prada

Perhaps the biggest fraud of all was spending $2,500 on shoes, lol.

Was that one pair or two?????

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 41 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

lol, I wish I got shoes but my wife didn't want any.

Prada Borsa a ma Tessuto Gaufre Nero Tu (Black Nylon Tote (bag), 2013 model. Amazed they still had it)

Also, a sexy pinkish wallet called Portafogli Saffiano Metal Orchidea Tu 

Message 42 of 83
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

lol, I wish I got shoes but my wife didn't want any.

Prada Borsa a ma Tessuto Gaufre Nero Tu (Black Nylon Tote (bag), 2013 model. Amazed they still had it)

Also, a sexy pinkish wallet called Portafogli Saffiano Metal Orchidea Tu 

Somebody call the Cops, you got robbed........lol. JK.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 43 of 83
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

$2,400 is a big purchase for a new card.

I bought a golf cart on my Venture last summer. I called them ahead and there was no isuues.

Can't really blame them for checking.

In the end it was all good anyways.

Message 44 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

it would be super funny if I had a Samsclub MC and busted that out to pay for it. Is this grocies? haha

Message 45 of 83
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@jeffery581 wrote:

Fraud is rampant. They are protecting themselves AND you. If some clerk told you me, maybe your maxed out, I would be offended would also explain to the clerk that YOU of all people should know there are various reasons for a decline. Assuming its maxed is  RUDE. imo.

+1

Back when I worked retail, we always 'assumed' the exact opposite - that it was merely a fraud issue that could be quickly and easily resolved. Never in a million years would we indicate that there might be an issue with a customer's creditworthiness.  Occasionally a customer might volunteer that their credit limit was the issue, and in that case I would just laugh that I had been there myself (but I would never suggest that first).

More than once I offered to let a customer use the business phone, and most gladly accepted.  More times than not the problem was resolved in a matter of minutes and I would retry the card (and it would work).  I got the sale, and the customer felt 'vindicated' that he/she demonstrated that their card (i.e. credit) was fine - it was a win/win.  I'll also add that the most common issue was a new card that wasn't activated - if the plastic looked 'new' and the card declined, that was always the first thing I would ask (and again, offer my phone if necessary).

That seemed like 'common sense' then, and now I expect the same treatment when I'm at the sales counter.  Smiley Wink

+2 Same here - when I worked in retail, I would've never said anything like that to a customer. I used to just politely tell the customer the card was declined and that they need to call their bank. Of course 99% of people respond with, "why was it declined?" 

Me, "I don't know. You will need to call your bank." 

I can't even imagine telling someone "oh your card is maxed out." As a former retail worker, I try to sympathize with retail workers, but saying that is pretty inappropriate IMO. 

I haven't had any problems with my QS yet (got it last September). I used it on a Japanese website recently for the first time and not a peep from Cap One. When I was in middle school/high school, I used my Dad's Marriott Rewards Visa for all my online Japan purchases and the card never once declined. Maybe it was a different era, but I feel like it's sort of unusual for cards to be declined. I guess it depends on the amount, purchase, location, billing zip, and other factors I'm not sure of. Sort of interesting though! 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 46 of 83
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Same happended to me. Charged 6 months rent to get the bonus. Declined. Looked at app. Limited. Called. Read back the text. All was fine afterwards. Kinda glad that protection is there.

Message 47 of 83
Sharingan
Established Contributor

This is why I have never subscribed to the notion that Capital One, or any bank, "always works;" and I really don't believe that it should be repeated as much as it is, especially since it's simply not true. Capital One, like every other bank, is always going to prioritize themselves first when it comes to risk and that's not only when the account is new. This isn't going to change just because a select few want to believe otherwise about Capital One.

Also, I have started to notice a false narrative developing on these boards, that if another bank declines a transaction or freezes the account (notably Chase and AmEx), it's an act of sabotage against the cardholder; but if Capital One does it, it's a necessary, sometimes wonderful security measure to protect the consumer. Come on...

Fortunately, I haven't experienced this with any of my current cards; but if any of them decline charges and embarrass me at the register, I probably wouldn't even bother calling. The card would sit at home and go unused indefinitely, unless it has an AF. I have plenty of other cards available, so nothing is irreplaceable in my wallet. 

Message 48 of 83
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

it would be super funny if I had a Samsclub MC and busted that out to pay for it. Is this grocies? haha

I don't know if I would think that was 'funny', maybe ironic, since many people who shop at Prada aren't concerned with routine savings like most Sam's Club shoppers are. 

FWIW there are folks on here who have a higher credit line on their Sam's Club MasterCard than on their Venture.  Smiley Wink

Message 49 of 83
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Sharingan wrote:

This is why I have never subscribed to the notion that Capital One, or any bank, "always works;" and I really don't believe that it should be repeated as much as it is, especially since it's simply not true. Capital One, like every other bank, is always going to prioritize themselves first when it comes to risk and that's not only when the account is new. This isn't going to change just because a select few want to believe otherwise about Capital One.

Also, I have started to notice a false narrative developing on these boards, that if another bank declines a transaction or freezes the account (notably Chase and AmEx), it's an act of sabotage against the cardholder; but if Capital One does it, it's a necessary, sometimes wonderful security measure to protect the consumer. Come on...

Fortunately, I haven't experienced this with any of my current cards; but if any of them decline charges and embarrass me at the register, I probably wouldn't even bother calling. The card would sit at home and go unused indefinitely, unless it has an AF. I have plenty of other cards available, so nothing is irreplaceable in my wallet. 

+1

All anybody on here can do (myself included) is report our own personal experience, which can vary a great deal from person to person. 

For me and my personal spend pattern, Capital One is indeed a 'good match' since my spend levels/habits have yet to set off their fraud alerts.  Even when I make charges in multiple cities/states and on overseas websites (Australia and Canada) the card has never stopped working.  I can make lots of small purchases, or even the once-in-a blue-moon "large" purchase over the phone (most recently for $1800) and they simply approve it.  For me, that's a reason to appreciate them.

My own experience shouldn't (and can't) be indicative of what others should expect unless their circumstances are similar to my own (account age, spending pattern, history, etc.) which is difficult to ascertain.  That being said, I still appreciate hearing about other's experiences, even when they don't match my own (like this thread).

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Wink

Message 50 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.