Reply
Regular Contributor
charyot77
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0

Capital One Venture cards worth it?

I live and work abroad and I want a CC with no forex fees. This is the main reason why I keep Cap One around.

 

I currently have 2 Cap One cards. My oldest is a Platinum Card with a $2750 limit and the second oldest is a No Hassles Cash card with a measly $750 limit. Capital One waived my AF on my cash reward which shocked me (I had every intension of closing it) so I'm considering calling the Exec Office to see if they can offer me any product changes.

 

Obviously nothing is guaranteed but what is there worth asking for other than the Venture? I don't have the 1.5% Cashback card (just the older one). I get cash back with my Citi Dividend (1% + 5% rotating categories) but I have to pay a forex fee. Any rewards would be better than nothing but I know that Cap One is really picky about Venture approvals. Would it be dumb to ask to have the larger card changed to a Cashback (1.5%) card even though I have the regular 1% card (which I use a lot).  I don't want to ask for a cli on the smaller card because I'm not sure if the AF fee waiver will happen every year so I might end up closing It.

 

As of right now I don't have a travel card other than my Zync with the travel (go) pack.

 

 

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Capital One Venture cards worth it?

Venture is a good card.  It's basically a 2% cashback card that is restricted to travel redemptions.  If you're looking to earn domestic airfare, it's good.  If you'd like to earn a business or first class ticket, you want a card that earns airline miles or points that can be transferred to airline miles.

 

No idea about the PC opportunites.  Capital One is notoriously bad about doing anything with their entry level cards, though some people are having some luck recently.  Call and ask.  All they can do is say no.  Check the Executive Office thread for the phone number to the Executive Office.  They might be able to help you.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
charyot77
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0

Re: Capital One Venture cards worth it?


Walt_K wrote:

Venture is a good card.  It's basically a 2% cashback card that is restricted to travel redemptions.  If you're looking to earn domestic airfare, it's good.  If you'd like to earn a business or first class ticket, you want a card that earns airline miles or points that can be transferred to airline miles.

 

No idea about the PC opportunites.  Capital One is notoriously bad about doing anything with their entry level cards, though some people are having some luck recently.  Call and ask.  All they can do is say no.  Check the Executive Office thread for the phone number to the Executive Office.  They might be able to help you.


Thanks! I actually would be using it for international travel mostly (Europe and Asia).  I wanted to do some research before even seriously considering bothering the Exec office as I'm not sure if the Venture would meet my needs. A PC would be perfect as I don't really want another credit card nor do I want a hit to my AAOA.

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Capital One Venture cards worth it?


charyot77 wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

Venture is a good card.  It's basically a 2% cashback card that is restricted to travel redemptions.  If you're looking to earn domestic airfare, it's good.  If you'd like to earn a business or first class ticket, you want a card that earns airline miles or points that can be transferred to airline miles.

 

No idea about the PC opportunites.  Capital One is notoriously bad about doing anything with their entry level cards, though some people are having some luck recently.  Call and ask.  All they can do is say no.  Check the Executive Office thread for the phone number to the Executive Office.  They might be able to help you.


Thanks! I actually would be using it for international travel mostly (Europe and Asia).  I wanted to do some research before even seriously considering bothering the Exec office as I'm not sure if the Venture would meet my needs. A PC would be perfect as I don't really want another credit card nor do I want a hit to my AAOA.


I said domestic airfare.  I meant coach class tickets.  Basically, because it's a fixed value for redemptions, the amount of spend you have to put on the card to earn coach tickets makes it a good value.  But the amount of spend you'd have to put on the card to earn premium fares is ridiculous.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
charyot77
Posts: 237
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0

Re: Capital One Venture cards worth it?


Walt_K wrote:

charyot77 wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

Venture is a good card.  It's basically a 2% cashback card that is restricted to travel redemptions.  If you're looking to earn domestic airfare, it's good.  If you'd like to earn a business or first class ticket, you want a card that earns airline miles or points that can be transferred to airline miles.

 

No idea about the PC opportunites.  Capital One is notoriously bad about doing anything with their entry level cards, though some people are having some luck recently.  Call and ask.  All they can do is say no.  Check the Executive Office thread for the phone number to the Executive Office.  They might be able to help you.


Thanks! I actually would be using it for international travel mostly (Europe and Asia).  I wanted to do some research before even seriously considering bothering the Exec office as I'm not sure if the Venture would meet my needs. A PC would be perfect as I don't really want another credit card nor do I want a hit to my AAOA.


I said domestic airfare.  I meant coach class tickets.  Basically, because it's a fixed value for redemptions, the amount of spend you have to put on the card to earn coach tickets makes it a good value.  But the amount of spend you'd have to put on the card to earn premium fares is ridiculous.


I think I understand. With the Venture I'm earning Cashback to pay for flights rather than airline miles. 

Senior Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 3,794
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Capital One Venture cards worth it?

Yes. The commercials are misleading since alec baldwin always says "miles" but it is just cash back.
;

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}