Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Venture

I've been looking around for a new credit card for a better rewards program and the Capital One Venture Card (Blue) seems to be the best one I can find.  I'm just curious as to what type of credit score people had if they got approved or denied for this card. 

I currently have a Equifax score of 743.  I'm guessing the others should at least be above the 700.  My oldest account is 5 years 2 months and my average is 3 years.  My only inquiry (which doesn't appear on Equifax) was from 1 year 1 month ago when I opened a CC from Chase.  I have no missed or late payments as I pay in full every month.  I normally spend around $2-3000 a month which makes my credit utilization under 20~30%.  My current utilization is at 17%. 

Current Credit Cards: Chase Flexible Rewards - $4000 limit (5 years 2 month old) 

Chase Freedom - $9000 (1 year 1 month old)  

I checked what cards I might be pre-qualified for at the CapitalOne website and the VentureOne Card (Gold) shows up.  I'm not interested in this card as I'll get more rewards from my Chase Freedom.  If only the gold card shows up on the pre-qualified list, does that mean that my odds for the Blue card are next to nothing?  

Also, if I apply for the Blue card but get denied, could I possibly be approved for the Gold card without having another hard inquiry?  

How hard is to challenge a denied application? 

Any advice or answers will be appreciated.  

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Venture

Its quite a hard card to get from what ive seen. Keep in mind it will be 3 hard pulls.

Message 2 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Its quite a hard card to get from what ive seen. Keep in mind it will be 3 hard pulls.

+1

I think with your files you should be able to get it tho.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 18
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

speaking of all cards with no AF's the three hardest cards to get are the

1. Simmons First Platinum

2. Iberia Bank Platinum

3. VentureOne Signature (which you were preapproved for).

first of all venture has a 60 AF. that sucks for me. and finally second of all to answer your question the VentureOne card is far more difficult to get than the venture card.

trust me. if they preapproved you for the VentureOne. then you are absolutely good to go. Remember though; all capone card do three pulls.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 4 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

2. Iberia Bank Platinum

first of all venture has a 60 AF. that sucks for me. and finally second of all to answer your question the VentureOne card is far more difficult to get than the venture card.

trust me. if they preapproved you for the VentureOne. then you are absolutely good to go. Remember though; all capone card do three pulls.

Not nesessarily true. There have been exceptions where applicant had files frozen and lifted 1 and still gotten approved.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scottwagnon wrote:

2. Iberia Bank Platinum

I agree with LS. There are huge exceptions to these. Some may find a credit  union they cant join harder for example. Im sure there are others that are hard to get. Everyone is different. Grandmother was preapproved for Venture and denied. At the time she had 6y6m AAoA, 3 inq, no baddies, 766 EQ FICO. YMMV

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was a little skeptical about having an AF at first but after doing some reading, it pretty much pays off with an annual spending of at least $8000. 

Is it bad having all 3 hard pulls?  If I get denied, I'm probably not going to apply for another cc anytime soon.  I may however try and get a CLI with my chase cards.  My older chase card hasn't had an automatic increase in at least 2-3 years.  

I don't plan on buying a house or a car anytime soon either.  I may however have to pull out a business loan sometime later this year.  

Should I just go for it? 

Message 7 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was a little skeptical about having an AF at first but after doing some reading, it pretty much pays off with an annual spending of at least $8000. 

Is it bad having all 3 hard pulls?  If I get denied, I'm probably not going to apply for another cc anytime soon.  I may however try and get a CLI with my chase cards.  My older chase card hasn't had an automatic increase in at least 2-3 years.  

I don't plan on buying a house or a car anytime soon either.  I may however have to pull out a business loan sometime later this year.  

Should I just go for it? 

Go for it!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I just go for it? 

If you dont mind the hard pulls and arent looking for a house or car then I say go for it.

Message 9 of 18
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I just go for it? 

Google for

NPSL credit card

before you make a decision.

Capital One's Venture and Venture1 are Visa Signature cards, so they are NPSL cards.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.