Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Venture

I am going to be doing some traveling outside the country later this year and considering applying for a Capital One Venture card.  I read previously on this board from a poster that if you've ever filed for bankruptcy, Cap1 will decline you for this card. I filed for bankruptcy back in 1989.  Do y'all know if a bankruptcy from so many years ago would be evaluated in their approval process? 

I already have a non-secured Cap1 card that I've had for many years with an excellent payment history (but only 1,500 CL).  I don't know my current actual FICO scores but my credit karma score is 749, no derogatory marks, 16% utilization, 1 credit inquiry on my report.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Venture

@Anonymous wrote:

I am going to be doing some traveling outside the country later this year and considering applying for a Capital One Venture card.  I read previously on this board from a poster that if you've ever filed for bankruptcy, Cap1 will decline you for this card. I filed for bankruptcy back in 1989.  Do y'all know if a bankruptcy from so many years ago would be evaluated in their approval process? 

I already have a non-secured Cap1 card that I've had for many years with an excellent payment history (but only 1,500 CL).  I don't know my current actual FICO scores but my credit karma score is 749, no derogatory marks, 16% utilization, 1 credit inquiry on my report.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bankruptcy over 10 years comes off your credit record.   It will have no effect.   Creditors are not allowed to ask about BK over 10 years.

Message 2 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

According to the CapitalOne web site you need excellent credit for this card. Below is their definition of excellant credit

• Excellent Credit
  • Do ALL of these describe you?
  • I have not been more than 60 days late on any credit card, medical bill, or loan in the last year

• I have never declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a loan

• I have had a loan or credit card for 3 years or more with a credit limit above $5,000

Hope this helps

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 10
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

According to the CapitalOne web site you need excellent credit for this card. Below is their definition of excellant credit

• Excellent Credit
  • I have not been more than 60 days late on any credit card, medical bill, or loan in the last year

• I have had a loan or credit card for 3 years or more with a credit limit above $5,000

Hope this helps

I wonder if they consider AU accounts or just individual accounts. Also, do you suppose they consider old closed accounts in good standing?

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 4 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@OnTheRebound wrote:

@AndySoCal wrote:

• Excellent Credit

Hope this helps

I wonder if they consider AU accounts or just individual accounts. Also, do you suppose they consider old closed accounts in good standing?

I would't think they would consider AU accounts for the CL. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some positive news--I applied today and was approved with a $5,000 CL.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
daylove
Regular Contributor

If you go to Europe you should ask them if they have a chip and pin version..striped credit cards are no longer widely accepted abroad due to high fraud potential. I travel a lot and I now have one with the chip if I only had the striped one it would be a major problem..

Message 7 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Some positive news--I applied today and was approved with a $5,000 CL.  Smiley Very Happy

Congratulations.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks daylove, that's good info to know ahead of time as I'll be using it in Italy.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations.

I want to acknowledge how useful this forum has been to me.  A year and a half ago I would not have been in the position to apply for certain cc's and what I've learned from so many on this forum has been a blessing.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.