Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One & Disputes

tag
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Capital One & Disputes

Hey guys,

My sister's Cap1 card was charged a fraudulent charge for about $25 to some place called Volcon - it says it's gas/automobile - but it's located in Canada (at least when I googled that's what I found). She has an alert that lets her know if an international charge has been charged to her account, so she was able to call and dispute the charge right away.

My question is how good is Cap1 about these things? I had a card with them, but I've never had fraud on my card with them, so I've never had to deal with them in this regard. I was listening on the phone call when my sister was talking to a rep and it sounded like (at least to me) that the rep was trying to make it sound like my sister made the charge. She kept saying "well it says it's gas" and my sister told her that the company isn't located in the US. And that she only gets her gas from 2 places, Quiktrip & Mobil, and that $25 wouldn't fill her tank up at all (because afterall if you are charging gas to a CC, you're going to fill your tank completely).

I just want to know if she's in for a fight with them about this charge.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mfcastro79
Established Member

Re: Capital One & Disputes

I recently had a charge show up on my Cap1 card from Skype.  I don't use Skype so I disputed the charge online and then called the number on the back of the card and told the CSR that no one in my household uses Skype.  He reversed the charge but said the funds wouldn't be available until they finished investigating.  He told me to cut up my card and he'd send a new one within a week.  About a week later I received my new card and they had concluded their investigation and released the funds automatically, I didn't have to call back.  It was a very simple process for me but, as always, ymmv.

Message 2 of 6
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I have done A LOT of disputes with capital one and have never lost a dispute. Most of the times they didn't ask for any more information. I've found them to be very customer friendly in this regard.

Message 3 of 6
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Guys.  They are sending her a new card and she cut up her old one. Hopefully, it's a smooth process for her as well.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 4 of 6
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Disputes from fraudalent transactions are easy and usually handled very well by almost any issuer I think. Capital One stood up for me after months of fighting an overseas car rental reservation charge I cancelled way in advance.

I got the impression that Capital One has a good, knowledgeable disputes department compared to other issuers.

Message 5 of 6
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

@Brax wrote:

Disputes from fraudalent transactions are easy and usually handled very well by almost any issuer I think. Capital One stood up for me after months of fighting an overseas car rental reservation charge I cancelled way in advance.

I got the impression that Capital One has a good, knowledgeable disputes department compared to other issuers.

Update: I just talked to my sister and the charge posted, it's from Brazil and the first rep did not process the dispute (I understand that you can't dispute something until it post, but she could have made a note on the account). They didn't even know she was trying to dispute the charge, which pisses me off because if you're told someone didn't make a charge, you make a note on the account that there is possible fraud happening. I knew there was a reason why I didn't trust that rep. The rep kept saying "oh, but the charge says gas." Yeah, gas that was not purchased in the US.

So Cap1 failed on this for me. At least the first rep did.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.