cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One and Chase Freedom cancelled my credit cards. HELP!

tag
River10

Re: Capital One and Chase Freedom cancelled my credit cards. HELP!

I allowed people to become authorized users on both my chase and capital one cards for a few months to boost their credit scores. I was told it was legal. I googled and googled and everything said it was legal but not considered eithical by some people. It was a legitimate website. I even got a 1099 tax form from it but as I said, I stopped as soon as Capital One said they were canceling me. Some people believe that by becoming an  authorized user it will boost a their credit score. Since they had no access to my information and I was getting paid for it I allowed it. Wish now I hadn't. I do have other credit cards. I have Discover, Bank of America, Fidelity, Walmart Discover, Home Depot, and Citi Bank but a 23,700 decrease is my limits will hurt my excellent credit scores...won"t it? I have credit monitoring also and havent gotten any alerts. No unauthrized activity of any kind on any of my reports.

Message 11 of 63
River10

I've not had any changes in my life in over 3 years. My income is still high, my scores are high. Ive not been on any app spree however when capital one cancelled me I did get a Fidelity Visa to keep my limits up so my scores wouldnt drop very much. They dropped some though and I am afraid if Chase cancels me my scores will plunge. I've had good credit all my life. Never paid a late payment. Usually dont carry a balance at all. I've used all of my cards a little about every other month or so to keep them active.

Message 12 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Did the company who issued the 1099 have any run ins with these cc's? I mean if the business was being watched or investigated for this activity- that form of misrepresentation could cancel your cards.

Really? Getting paid? a 1099? I can't even believe this isn't legal- truly unethical.
Message 13 of 63
River10

I didnt know the people who piggy backed off me. They were not relatives.  I had and still have all their information though including copies of their socials, drivers lisences, etc. As soon as the authorized user accounts  hit the credit agencies for one month I was paid and they were removed as authorized users. I got paid the same if it helped their scores or not.

Message 14 of 63
River10

I dont know if they had any runins with the credit card companies or not. I knew someone who had done business with this company for several years and she never had a problem. She still doesnt have any problems with them. She also gets a 1099 every year.

Message 15 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Again, sounds like someone got onto your 'job' and didn't like being misled. Hence, the cancelled cards. May I ask, how many times did you sell your info?
I can just imagine the red flag that went up if its a high number.
Message 16 of 63
starry1
Valued Contributor

I have to agree with lexie, even if its not illegal, its still extremely shady.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 17 of 63
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Yep, I almost feel ashamed even reading this thread Smiley Embarassed

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 18 of 63
River10

10 people. I still dont understand why they would cancel me though since no one used the cards except for me. I even asked Capital One if that was the reason and she wouldnt answer me.

Message 19 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I am still trying to wrap my head around 'I get a 1099'.

Shaking my head!
Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.