cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One and Chase Freedom cancelled my credit cards. HELP!

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One and Chase Freedom cancelled my credit cards. HELP!

What's done is done, I'm not going to judge you. NFCU has been known to start people with high limits, Penfed, DCU...Or other credit unions are your best bet. Also, asking your current cards for cli would help too. Remember, your total credit limits do not affect your credit score directly. Utility, however, does. So as long as you owe less than ten percent of your available credit, it doesn't matter if you have 100 bucks or 100,000 bucks in credit limits.

It is very probable that this is an example of AA, which is due to all those AU's.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 41 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ Swapmeet is correct. Before you start adding new TLs see if your existing creditors will raise your limits. Remember, most CU will run your CR for membership and some- like DCU will run a separate cr for their cc's. what you don't want is a lot of unnecessary inq's.

Good luck.
Message 42 of 63
River10

thank you, both excellent advice.

Message 43 of 63
thirst305
New Contributor

One thing to keep in mind is that when you add AUs, the creditor had to furnish data to random people who had no connection to you.  So while they didn't have your card, the creditors must have decided that all this fishy activity with having to furnish credit data to 10 random people was too high of risk for them.

Ch7 BK discharged 3/2009
Bloomies (10/99): 4k Alliant (8/10): 4k
SCEFCU Visa (9/12): 6k SCEFCU auto (9/12): 22k
Barclays Apple (10/11): 5k iTunes: 3k SLM: 15k
Amazon (8/12): 15k Walmart store (9/12): 6K
Partners (9/12): 20k CapOnex2 (1/10): 10k Discover IT (3/13): 5k
SDFCU: 20k Amex BCE: 8k
Message 44 of 63
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answsered, but how many inquiries do you have in the last twelve months, and how long have you had the discover card? Well, how long have you had each card that is still open?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 45 of 63
RyVision
Valued Contributor

This sounds very much like part of the reason AMEX no longer back dates as readily as they used to, and not at all anymore for ACMs\AUs.   I had read about long time AMEX members with impressive history (esp Member Since Dates) selling the privilege of being added as an ACM\AU to people they'd NEVER allow to actually use the card or have access to the account.

I can see why 10 (or even 5 maybe) AUs on an account, who didn't share any connection to the primary card holder would raise a red flag.   I know you obviously had no idea there'd be such a back lash or that it was that unusual (seems your right, you ARE responsible for those bills after all),  so I for one am sorry it turned out this way for you.  Just remember the harsh lesson and move on to other CCCs (card companies) or wait and see what happens with other cards you already have that  you didn't AU out to others (I'm guessing they'll most likely be fine). 

If you're in TN and were, are or are related to military, you do have NFCU branches fairly close (at least compared to some of us who are 5 hours away from the nearest).  They, if you're eligible, would be one of your best options.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 46 of 63
enharu
Super Contributor

What is your income approx? If you make a good amount of money, you can just apply to the prime banks directly and they will probably start you with a good CL. Not 23k good however, unless your income is in the six digits or more region.

and it's easy to get CLI as long as you just pay on time, etc. Maybe they will need you to fax over some tax returns but that's about it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 47 of 63
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Like OP wrote; what's done is done.

A lot of companies frown on piggybacking and I'm a little surprised OP didn't know this.

Live and learn. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 48 of 63
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Obviously what the OP did was not illegal, that said, CCC don't just follow the letter of the law, they also have their own internal risk positioning rules. They may not disclose them, i.e. what scoring system a mortgage lender uses, what other information systems they use to evaluate a loan, etc.

This is one of those cases, where you're engaging in risky behaviour that while not illegal is highly adverse to the well functioning credit card market. they caught you and took non-transparent action. nothing you can do about it.

I'm sure your scores are still well above prime, just move on.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 49 of 63
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Obviously what the OP did was not illegal, that said, CCC don't just follow the letter of the law, they also have their own internal risk positioning rules. They may not disclose them, i.e. what scoring system a mortgage lender uses, what other information systems they use to evaluate a loan, etc.

This is one of those cases, where you're engaging in risky behaviour that while not illegal is highly adverse to the well functioning credit card market. they caught you and took non-transparent action. nothing you can do about it.

I'm sure your scores are still well above prime, just move on.

Sorry but selling your credit history seems like risky behavior, to me. I'd assume the person was broke or greedy. I'd also worry about the possibility of their AUs gaining access to card numbers, charging like a drunken sailor, and then having to fight with someone who didn't feel responsible for the debt.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 50 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.