Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One and Hard pulls for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One and Hard pulls for CLI?

Do they normally do HPs out of the blue?  The co -branded cards?  I've had Discover do one once but warned me it would be a hard pull.  Same for American Express.

Message 11 of 25
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So just to tell you what I know..I try to refrain from speculation as it only causes more grief and smoking.....

I doubt very very much the other HP is from a QS CLI.....I am thinking that it was either an off site HP (meanig that for whatever reason Sony decided to pull your bureau for reasons "other" than a CLI) People forget that creditors...in addition to pulling HP's for CLI can HP for ANYTHING they want, especially if they feel something is wrong, become spooked, or just whatever....(not saying this is the case here)....this is why I freeze all my CB's so that I dont have to worry about it.....

Also....where are you viewing that this inquiry was a HP????  What monitoring service are u using.....please advise when u can

Gregg

This is MIS-Information ... a Hard Pull on ones CR is only supposed to occur when the said Applicant themsevles are SEEKING Credit... You are correct that Lenders can pull CRs any time they wish for any number of variations. However those Pulls must be Soft Pulls ONLY, as the applicant has not requested any additional Credit be extended.

Freezing your CRs may stop Lenders from pulling SPs on you at random, however eventually they will want to see a recent CR, and have algos in place to Freeze accounts after so many unsuccessful pulls of ones CR.

I laugh when people think they're smarter than the Trillion dollar banks.  

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Um...no...sorry
..if you read not only the credit contract you sign...as well as the fcra....you will see that creditors, upon entering into any consumer contract, have the IMPLIED right to access a consumers credit file, both through hard and soft pulls, at any time, and for any reason......as long as the creditor deems it to be a PERMISSABLE purpose..
For those of us who have or have had citi accounts...well....you know what I am talking about.

With regard to the freezing of credit reports and the comment as to thinking we r smarter than trillion dollar banks...well...to begin with...I don't find myself to be smarter than anyone...in fact my 11 tr old son speaks 2 languages and...since I can barely speak English Smiley Happy I consider myself a moron. But I digress... it's not about outsmarting the banks...but rather protecting myself...there may be advanced argos that can circumvent a security freeze...but...the threshold is much higher and will offer a greater level of comfort and protection against pull happy creditors....so

Listen....we're supposed to help each other here on thus site...not point fingers and say "aha" Okay...

Be well all

Gregg
Message 13 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought cap one did soft pulls when you asked for an increase?  I just pulled my yearly TU and found two hard pulls from them.  I have two cards and asked for CLI on both of them at seperate times.  I didn't know those generated a HP.  I had read everywhere it was a SP.  Anyone know whats up?

I've never had an HP from asking for CLI on my Sony Card.   Since this seems unusual, you could always try reaching out to them to see why HPs were done.   Perhaps you could try one of the backdoor numbers first, and then try emailing the EO, if that gets you nowhere.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.give them a call and ask why a ho was done. I know on my gm buypower card when I called for a cli they did a sp...when I tried for one on line it was a ho attempt but...since I had the freeze...the cli request never went through.
Message 15 of 25
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Um...no...sorry
..if you read not only the credit contract you sign...as well as the fcra....you will see that creditors, upon entering into any consumer contract, have the IMPLIED right to access a consumers credit file, both through hard and soft pulls, at any time, and for any reason......as long as the creditor deems it to be a PERMISSABLE purpose..
For those of us who have or have had citi accounts...well....you know what I am talking about.

With regard to the freezing of credit reports and the comment as to thinking we r smarter than trillion dollar banks...well...to begin with...I don't find myself to be smarter than anyone...in fact my 11 tr old son speaks 2 languages and...since I can barely speak English Smiley Happy I consider myself a moron. But I digress... it's not about outsmarting the banks...but rather protecting myself...there may be advanced argos that can circumvent a security freeze...but...the threshold is much higher and will offer a greater level of comfort and protection against pull happy creditors....so

Listen....we're supposed to help each other here on thus site...not point fingers and say "aha" Okay...

Be well all

Gregg

It is infact Illigal for any Creditor to Pull a HARD PULL without the applicant applying for Credit .... A Creditor CANNOT pull a HARD PULL at will, they must be Soft Pulls unless the applicant consents .... I haven't seen 1, NOT 1 Creditor ever Pull a Hard Pull without the applicant applying for Credit therefore giving concent to the HP. 

They "the creditor" can and should be held liable for this practice.  Anyone who's has this happen to them, know their right's have been voliated. 

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh....so...just to put this to bed....the can and they do...I know this may upset many people...myself included...but it is the price to pay for us to receive unsecured credit...as I mentioned earlier...those of us who have had chase accounts may know this too well...amex as well. So....sorry to bring an uneasy topic to the forefront but these are, unfortunately, real life events....it is what is.

Gregg
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought cap one did soft pulls when you asked for an increase?  I just pulled my yearly TU and found two hard pulls from them.  I have two cards and asked for CLI on both of them at seperate times.  I didn't know those generated a HP.  I had read everywhere it was a SP.  Anyone know whats up?

I believe the two requests were done more than 6 months apart. And to add, Capital One and many other issuers such as Chase, Boa, Barclays, AmEx, US Bank, Discover, and Citi are known for their hard pulls on CLI.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called.  They say the system had a "quirk" and did a HP on accident on my second card when I asked for a credit line increase..  That being said, they promised to delete one.  The other one, they said  was for my increase and that I hadn't had a had pull in years and the system decided to give me one but it also came along with a very large increase so I am not complaining at all about that.  It was for my quicksilver visa.  My limit went from $3,500 to $7,500.   I was only really upset because I went for my auto loan late last spring and took some inquires. I know they all are considered one, but it still bothers me.  I hate having a HP and not knowing why.  They said they should have done a SP for my sony card.  Just so everyone knowsSmiley Happy 

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe the two requests were done more than 6 months apart. And to add, Capital One and many other issuers such as Chase, Boa, Barclays, AmEx, US Bank, Discover, and Citi are known for their hard pulls on CLI.

Cap One, Discover and Amex are not "known" for hard pull CLI's.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.