Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One approval, CL question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One approval, CL question

After dumping Barclay today, and getting a CLI of $200 on our Walmart CC I was looking at Capital One since I have an existing card with them.  I applied for their Classic Platinum since it had the less of two annual fees.  The CL they approved me for was $500.  I called to ask about a CLI to start the card off with something bigger and was told the card I was approved for is their Credit Steps card and nothing can be done.  Is there any possible way to get this increased initially?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One approval, CL question

@Anonymous wrote:

After dumping Barclay today, and getting a CLI of $200 on our Walmart CC I was looking at Capital One since I have an existing card with them.  I applied for their Classic Platinum since it had the less of two annual fees.  The CL they approved me for was $500.  I called to ask about a CLI to start the card off with something bigger and was told the card I was approved for is their Credit Steps card and nothing can be done.  Is there any possible way to get this increased initially?

No. You'll go up to $750 after 6 statement cuts and after that you have a better chance of seeing god than getting CLI's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would have kept the Barclay Card and applied for another card with them like this one https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1583&cellNumber=6&referrerid=IMRPPCBR and probably get a better CL plus 0% APR for 15 months and possible CLI after 6 months.

Message 3 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would have kept the Barclay Card and applied for another card with them like this one https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1583&cellNumber=6&referrerid=IMRPPCBR and probably get a better CL plus 0% APR for 15 months and possible CLI after 6 months.

+1

Not understanding the logic dumping Barclays (which the only reason they are declining your CLI attempts is a BK on file which is perfectly understandable) and then turning around and picking up a rebuilder Cap1 card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 11
Carlile92
Regular Contributor

Yes you dumping Barclays is like shooting yourself in the foot for the reason and then getting the cap one card you did is like shooting yourself clean in the mouth I already feel bad you said in another thread you didn't want to wait 3 and a half years for bk to fall off so Barclays will increase your limit but the cap one card you have doesn't care if you make 3 million a year and your reports are perfect and you have 850 fico you will not get cli
Fico's in 500s across all three and one nfcu nrewards card with 2k limit for rebuilding
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carlile92 wrote:
Yes you dumping Barclays is like shooting yourself in the foot for the reason and then getting the cap one card you did is like shooting yourself clean in the mouth I already feel bad you said in another thread you didn't want to wait 3 and a half years for bk to fall off so Barclays will increase your limit but the cap one card you have doesn't care if you make 3 million a year and your reports are perfect and you have 850 fico you will not get cli

+1

Capital One is the absolute worst for CLIs. At least with some other subprime cards, you can pay them for a CLI. Cap One won't even accept bribes.

Message 6 of 11
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Not understanding the logic dumping Barclays (which the only reason they are declining your CLI attempts is a BK on file which is perfectly understandable) and then turning around and picking up a rebuilder Cap1 card.

I have a BK on file and Barclays gives me CLIs pretty regularly every 6 months.  I feel bad that the OP made the switch over to CapOne.

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 11
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the CLI! 

I do not know your reason for closing the Barclay card, but if you thought it was not serving you, then you did what you thought was right for you.  I was recently approved for Barclay MC - have not gotten the card yet - so I cannot say what this bank is like.  I can, however, say that Capital one - especially rebuilder cards - are pretty difficult to get CLIs on.  Usually, if you are following the expectations outlined in the literature, you can get $500-$1000 within in the year.  That was my experience with them.  I had two Credt Steps cards that I had gotten through them 4 years ago.  The Visa got as high as $1800 over 3.5 years (closed it last summer) and the MC is at $3350 - in part due to the well-documented double CLI they gave card holders a year ago.  They gave me two $1500 CLIs when I was supposed to only get $1500.  Because my balance was so high at the time,  they left $850 of the second $1500 they gave me.  

I have asked repeatedly if this card can receive another CLI, and when I have gotten a rep on the phone who wanted to be very forthcoming, they have admitted that this card has a ceiling of $3000, and they they are surprised that I even have the extra $350.  To be honest, I would not be surprised if they CLD. What I know for certain is that   It is not going to get any increases.  They have offered other incentives, however, like making my MC a Cash Rewards Card.

Interestingly, after 4 years and a superb payment history with them, if I use their pre-screening online CC application, I am always only qualified for their rebuilder accounts.  My recent scores are at or near 700.  Like I said, I do not know about Barclay as of yet, and I only applied for ttheir MC because I got an offer from them, and I KNOW that this Cap One card will not grow with me, but it still can serve me well, especially since it is currently the highest CL of the 3 major credit cards that I have.  Expect from Cap One rebuilder cards what they are there to do, and you will not be disappointed. 

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 8 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

If I were you, I would try to re-open your Barclay's. I didn't read the thread others have referred to, but Barclay's is a prime card, and Cap One Steps is a sub-prime/rebuilder card. You more or less took a gigantic step backwards. The Cap One step cards increase by whatever the original offer says, and that's it. Period. Even an act of God won't change that. Cap One rebuilders are good for just that -- rebuilding, so you can get prime CCs and higher CLs.

I have no idea if Barclay's would re-open your acct, but I would call the backdoor number and see if they'd be willing to do that.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 11
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No. You'll go up to $750 after 6 statement cuts and after that you have a better chance of seeing god than getting CLI's.

hahahahaha Dude you made me bust out laughing that's the truth!!!!!

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.