cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One available credit only $1 HUH?!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One available credit only $1 HUH?!

Usually the way to fix this payment hold issue is to use your banks Bill Pay to submit payments to Cap1 instead of going to Cap1 and making the payment on their website to pull from your checking account.  Happens with HSBC all the time, even Macy's sometimes.... but 3-6 months and they will stop doing it or hold shorter time periods.

Message 11 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Usually the way to fix this payment hold issue is to use your banks Bill Pay to submit payments to Cap1 instead of going to Cap1 and making the payment on their website to pull from your checking account.  Happens with HSBC all the time, even Macy's sometimes.... but 3-6 months and they will stop doing it or hold shorter time periods.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

+1

Takes a little longer for me.  I was at the 8 month mark for Cap One a couple weeks ago when they held a large payment for a full week.  I won't know when it stops though because I am only making small charges every couple months to keep the card active now.

Message 13 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the info.

I had no idea this was standard practice with new accounts...good to know!

I guess I have to wait it out a little longer to get my credit back.

BTW   Balance $0    Amount  Due $0    Pending $0  

So if I up my limit and stay below it, the only portion that will hit a delay is the amount I used, right?

For example,

I started with a $200 limit,

if I add $200 and the overall limit is $400,

then I spend $200 and PIF $200

they will only freeze the $200 not the whole $400...???

I just feel nervous sending in cash that I need access to and having them freeze it all!

I was going to deposit $1200 to increase my limit, but to be on the safe side I think I'll be sending in smaller amounts that I can afford a delay on if I increase the limit.

The credit hold is for the amount of the payment.        It should last a few months or so,    Larger than normal payment or a different bank might also generate a hold.

Increasing the limit is a good idea but I would do it in steps.   When you add a security deposit,  It will take 2 weeks to see the credit limit change on your account.   This is every time, so expect it.

One of the big advantages of secured cards is you set the CL with your deposit.   Larger Limits can help you with future CL on unsecured cards.  

It worked very well with me and Capital One.   I have a $3500 CL cash back rewards card that is a direct result of a high deposit secured card ($2200).

Message 14 of 15
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

+1

+1000. I have Bank of America and they submit payments electronically through online bill pay. Say if I schedule a payment on a Monday, it will go in and post on Tuesday and available credit is updated by Wednesday. It's vital since I use my card for everyday purchases and make payments on it every two weeks when I get paid....

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.