Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One business practices

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One business practices

@wacdenney wrote:

Crapital One has no interest AT ALL in maintaining the relationships it builds with its customers.  They are a stepping stone and once you are out of sub-prime land it's better to just wash your hands of them than it is to sing and dance for the EO every time you want basic customer service.

They are great when you are starting out, but if you don't have to go with a sub prime lender than I would recommend to anyone to skip Cap1 all together.

I totally agree with these statements. I have had not much luck with Capital One including the one time I talked to an EO. who lied to me about some things. My first Cap One card was a Platinum MC with a $300 CL in 2009 and an AF of $39. This card did not get it's first CLI until November 2013 even with usage, but how much can you use a card with a $300 CL?  In April 2011 Cap One sent me a pre-approval for another Platinum MC at $500 with an auto CLI to $750 in 6 months, with an AF of $19 but higher interest than the first card. I added an authorized user in another state and told them where the card would be used. Cap One would frequently decline purchases on this card and I would have to call the fraud department and remind them where it was being used/ This card received a $1500 CLI in August of 2013 to my surprise and kind of PC'd to QuickSilver in March 2014. The only QS benefit it carries is the 1.5% cashback. 3rd card, a Discover they bought from HSBC in 2012 with a $500 CL and a $59 AF.. I was told not to use the card until Cap one sent a new one. Never happened. The one time I talked to an EO I asked for a CLI on the 1st card that was now only $1500, and the one they had purchased. I was told the first card was eligible for a CLI and to apply online, it would be approved-it was denied in about 3 days.  As far as the HSBC card she told me it would never be eligible for any CLIs.  I've never heard of that before. So as you see I really don't have much luck with Cap One. Oh,also one of their reps also told me one time I would be charge 24% to transfer the balance from their card.  I'm pretty much fed up. I'm only keeping the upgraded QS active because my authorized user still needs it.

Message 21 of 67
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

Crapital One has no interest AT ALL in maintaining the relationships it builds with its customers.  They are a stepping stone and once you are out of sub-prime land it's better to just wash your hands of them than it is to sing and dance for the EO every time you want basic customer service.

They are great when you are starting out, but if you don't have to go with a sub prime lender than I would recommend to anyone to skip Cap1 all together.

i disagree.  I went from a $320 Orchard Bank transferred card to my current $10,000 CL in 8 months with two pleasant painless interactions w EO.  So that tells me they are certainly interested in keeping my business.

IMO most complaints I read about "Crap1" are from posters with thin files or still relatively low scores.  They get one card in the $2,000 -$5,000 range, usually store, co-branded, or CU and then immediately expect Cap1 to match it.  i'd be interested to know if people with a strong CR's, high scores, no baddies, decent to high income still get low CL's when they contact EO

Message 22 of 67
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

In the past, CapOne was more than happy to give you a credit card if you had bad credit.  Then when you wanted an increase, you would be told to simply apply for another one, as the card was established with what your profile was then.  They knew that most people would simply do this thinking there was no other way.  Their plan was to get as many annual fees as they could from customers.  Now, since a very large portion of their cardholders were either new or had damaged credit, they had another plan which fit into the multiple annual fee plan.  That was the late payment plan.  If you were late on one card, it was likely that you would be late on another one, once adding up to more fees.  Tied to this was the overlimit fee plan.  Many accounts with them, with small limits would increase the likelihood of multiple over the limit fees. 

Look at the math: 1 card with a $39 AF = $39 of fee revenue.  5 cards with a $39 AF = $195 of fee revenue.  $39<$195.....   (There was legal action over this practice and they did pay a huge fine for it!) 

They did end the practice of allowing you to have many cards over this.  However, there were other reasons why they did it.  One is AAoA.  If you applied every six months for a new card with them, your average age of accounts would stay low, meaning your score would stay low.  This in turn meant that other lenders would probably not accept you.  Low limits are also restrictive and might be looked on as an issue with other lenders.  If your 3 year old account has not been given a higher limit, what did you do wrong or why should we start you off at a high limit?  Also, the low limit would affect utilization.  With a $300 limit, the best scoring of your file would happen by only using $30 of your limit, the next best would be under $60, etc.  This low limit would mean that most people would be fairly regularly above the 50% or even near the 80-90% mark.  Even if you paid it off before the due date, the damage to the score is done. 

So the card levels were basically split into two categories; low and high.  Look at the types of cards and annual fees.  Most banks don't offer to the midrange people a card with an annual; the average category basically matches the rebuilding/poor credit category.  If you try the card match site there and you put in that your credit is average, the card that is recommended is a $39 AF card.  If it actually checks your credit report with a soft pull then it might recommend something better, but it also might simply offer you the fee card, thinking you might accept it.  If you get offered a fee card by doing it and you think your credit is much better than actually paying a fee to have a card, then app instead for one of the higher tier cards without a fee.  The worst thing that can happen is that you get denied and have to accept a different product.

Yes, they are and have changed their practices, but they still find ways which might not be the most beneficial for them in getting and treating clients.  Yes, it is true most people don't know that they can go the EO route and simply stick with them.  I do hope they get better in the future, because for a general use card, the 1.5% cash back is pretty good, however, my PNC card is 1.75% for everyday use.  So they get more of my business now because of that!  (Not everyone can have the 1.75 with PNC, sorry.) 

I think now they are simply looking to give CLIs to those who use the cards a lot and pay off or make higher payments to the account.  I got a message once basically that said the usage verses the payments was not proportional.  (I loaned the account to my niece, she was paying the bill, but not paying it off in full.)  So I transferred the balance, through spending to my new CapOne Signature account and then asked for an increase in the limit.  Bam, done.  And yes, having a Signature card with them does give you better customer service reps, but it shouldn't.  For the most part, customers are customers.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 23 of 67
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

i disagree.  I went from a $320 Orchard Bank transferred card to my current $10,000 CL in 8 months with two pleasant painless interactions w EO.  So that tells me they are certainly interested in keeping my business.

IMO most complaints I read about "Crap1" are from posters with thin files or still relatively low scores.  They get one card in the $2,000 -$5,000 range, usually store, co-branded, or CU and then immediately expect Cap1 to match it.  i'd be interested to know if people with a strong CR's, high scores, no baddies, decent to high income still get low CL's when they contact EO

When I contacted the EO my score was in the mid 700 range,oldest account 17.5 years, AAoA 7.3, no baddies, income $59318, Traditional Green AMEX npsl,  Discover It $12000, Sam's Club $8300, Military Star $8150, USAA $14500, Visa $5000, several store & gas cards between $600 & $7000. I own my own home and have several paid off loans with my CU. I only contacted the EO that one time, before that I just listened to customer service telling me my cards weren't eligible for an increase.

Message 24 of 67
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

I don't consider Cap1 subprime. I am very thankful for them accepting me as a customer. I had applied for a chase card and was denied and a few months later received an offer in the mail for Cap1 No AF Platinum card. I applied and was approved for $250. Which I was very grateful for since it was my first CC in over 10 years! When I login onto my account my CL was actually $750 so that was really great. I did like many and used it paid on line often but I did not pay in full since it was 0% interest, but I always paid way more than my minimum. I found this websit maybe 4 or 5 months after I received my Cap1 card and started learning about PIF, Util% and so when my 6 month anniversary approached, I had learned from here that I could request a CLI. When I did the online CLI, I was surprised to receive $3k!  At my 12 month anniversary, I did another online CLI and received another $2K.  I have had my card up to 70% utility and I used it exclusively for that first year before I apped for my Discover card.  I am not sure how well it will grow with me as time goes on, but now that I have be allowed to PC it to the QS, even it I never get another CLI, I will use it and be thankful that they helped me grow.  I don't pay an AF, my limit is decent and I love the Cash back.  I have also had really great CSR's who have been very helpful and friendly.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 25 of 67
fot1
Established Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Well I haven't gone the EO route yet.., But I have good scores, thick file, no baddies,  ect.. My Cap one is my oldest tradeline and the best I get from them is $500 Cli every 6 months. Outside of my  old Kays card my Cap one has the smallest CL of all my cards by a long shot....  .. I don't hate Cap one.. They just don't fit in my wallet any more.. And if I can't get the Annual fee droped later this year they will no longer have a place in my SD. Not hard to match or beat %1.5 cash back..

Too many to list..
Message 26 of 67
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

Well I haven't gone the EO route yet.., But I have good scores, thick file, no baddies,  ect.. My Cap one is my oldest tradeline and the best I get from them is $500 Cli every 6 months. Outside of my  old Kays card my Cap one has the smallest CL of all my cards by a long shot....  .. I don't hate Cap one.. They just don't fit in my wallet any more.. And if I can't get the Annual fee droped later this year they will no longer have a place in my SD. Not hard to match or beat %1.5 cash back..

I think that is just the way the CSR's or online CLI button works.  I got denied online for insufficinet use, but then got a huge increase from EO.  EO is completely different, it's an underwriter making the decision, not a computer that's only programmed to give out tiny increases.  Why the reluctancy on contacting EO and being frustrated by small increases?

Message 27 of 67
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

That`s one way to look at it. However having a high score with a good history and dealing with a large bank that only reads numbers from a spread sheet has a serious draw back. Just ask those on here that as recently as 2008 were singing and dancing about how those big banks were giving them 20, 30, 40, 50K lines because they had a 790 changed their tune when those lines got cut/cancelled without notice ( or justifiable cause ).

Glad you had a good experience with Crap One. As for myself, I`d rather get in my car and go down to my local bank/cu and see the president that knows me ( and my money ) if I dont feel I`m getting what I should rather than call someone in New York and fake act like I have a problem to get somewhere with them. 

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 28 of 67
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

sillykitty1 wrote:

I think that is just the way the CSR's or online CLI button works.  I got denied online for insufficinet use, but then got a huge increase from EO.  EO is completely different, it's an underwriter making the decision, not a computer that's only programmed to give out tiny increases.  Why the reluctancy on contacting EO and being frustrated by small increases?

That`s the way it works - for now. What are you going to do when/if at somepoint in the future Capital One decides that their credit card portfolios arent creating " enough value" , close the EO,  and subsequently cuts your line down say to 3,000 because your highest maintained balance over 90 days was only 1800?

And there is nothing you can do about it

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 29 of 67
fargobzn
Contributor

Cap1 sent me the oddest denial when I hit the CLI button online a few weeks ago, they said my account wasn't eligable because they were evaluating account activity at assigned credit limits. Not sure what to make of that. 

Message 30 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.