Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One business practices

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Capital One business practices

@isuspectnargles wrote:

They already do. It's the Venture card. Minimum limit to qualify is $5000 and most are higher than that.

Believe me. There are $30k limits galore at Cap One. They have a special department that services them.

But they START at $30k. You don't grow a $500 card into $30k. Not at Cap One at least.

You sure?  I got my Cap One in 2004, starting at $30K and I have not got the impression that I have a special department servicing it, same frontline reps as when I call on my other $20K card.

Message 61 of 67
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

Extremely sure. Your $20k card qualifies as well of course. If you had a $1000 card and a $30k card it would be different.

Roughly speaking if you put your card number in and hit 0 a few times (NOT selecting any menu options):

-If the rep is in a US call center you're in the special queue.
-If offshore you're a regular joe.

This isn't 100%. Time of day and call volume (overflow) can make a difference. But yes, there is a special department servicing super prime customers.
FICO 646EX 649EQ 630TU | Walmart 677TU | CreditKarma 641TU | Quizzle VantageScore 680 | Current Goal 700

NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $9k | Capital One Plat $2.85k | Citi $2.8k | CareCredit $2.7k | Capital One QS1 $2.6k | Walmart $2k | Chase Amazon Rewards $1k
Message 62 of 67
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@isuspectnargles wrote:
Extremely sure. Your $20k card qualifies as well of course. If you had a $1000 card and a $30k card it would be different.

Roughly speaking if you put your card number in and hit 0 a few times (NOT selecting any menu options):

This isn't 100%. Time of day and call volume (overflow) can make a difference. But yes, there is a special department servicing super prime customers.

i would really like to know more about this because i am fairly sure your dialing the same number as everyone else. as a matter a fact capitol one has even stated in their share holder reports that it moreless sends calls overseas to minimize cost of customer service.

Message 63 of 67
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@isuspectnargles wrote:

i would really like to know more about this because i am fairly sure your dialing the same number as everyone else. as a matter a fact capitol one has even stated in their share holder reports that it moreless sends calls overseas to minimize cost of customer service.

Oh it certainly different, the computer recognizes which account you have and directs it to the right place.  It can also probably detect you based on your phone number!

When I got my Signature card, they flat out told me it would be different and be answered by US call center operations and it would get better service. 

I have personally inputted the lower tier card number and gotten lesser service and the upper tier number and gotten much better service.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 64 of 67
isuspectnargles
Valued Member

@juggalo9er wrote:

@isuspectnargles wrote:

I didn't think I'd have to come right out and say it, but, hint hint, I may or may not be employed at a company that rhymes with Mapital Bun. And I may or may not have worked in the very department I'm referencing. Though I no longer work in that department. (IF I EVER DID... YOU WILL NEVER KNOW.)

Call routing is an extraordinarily complicated business area. There are dozens and dozens (if not hundreds!) of people at Capital One and many, many other companies whose only job is to decide how to route calls. Calls can change routing throughout the day; for example, if one call center experiences inclement weather and needs to close. Calls will routed away from that center into another. If call volume is sky-high in a particular department, say the retention department, you will have overflow where those calls will be routed to non-retention agents to handle. It's not the same as you picking up the phone and dialing your friend's number.

Anyway, for things like CLI's and lower APR's and whatever, that will not change based on where you're routed. Those are company policies and as everyone knows Cap One is stingy and conservative (this whole thread is dedicated to that afterall). But the queue that services the super prime can make a far greater number of exceptions on basic customer service issues like fee waivers, rewards issues, etc., and the CSR's tend to be more experienced and more savvy and are able to build relationships in a way that the offshore agents can't.

FICO 646EX 649EQ 630TU | Walmart 677TU | CreditKarma 641TU | Quizzle VantageScore 680 | Current Goal 700

NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $9k | Capital One Plat $2.85k | Citi $2.8k | CareCredit $2.7k | Capital One QS1 $2.6k | Walmart $2k | Chase Amazon Rewards $1k
Message 65 of 67
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@isuspectnargles wrote:

I didn't think I'd have to come right out and say it, but, hint hint, I may or may not be employed at a company that rhymes with Mapital Bun. And I may or may not have worked in the very department I'm referencing. Though I no longer work in that department. (IF I EVER DID... YOU WILL NEVER KNOW.)

I can't think of any company that rhymes with Mapital Bun.  Honeywell?  

Message 66 of 67
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

My experience:

I got a Cap One Platinum MC (no rewards) in Feb 2012. With a $500 limit, it was part of their Credit Steps proram.

At the sixth month, they raised the CL to $2000. I didn't know anything about PCs, so I didn't bother and used the card medium-heavy. 

At the 12th month, I wanted to change it to the Journey card because of good rewards and no AF. I didn't have stellar scores.

I was offered the no-fee QS instead. I really like this product because of good rewards and no-hassle redemption.

Last 3 months, my attempts at CLI were futile. I was getting a bit frustrated because Discover and Citi gave me decent increases. 

Last week, I tried the FB route. On Saturday, a gentleman from the EO called and was extremely courteous. 

I found today that my CL is now $4000. 

Can't complain with EO's response, but the process is a bit convoluted. Anyway, power to the social media. 

Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.