cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One called to verify my identity.

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One called to verify my identity.

@Anonymous wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a call from them to verify my identity, wasn't a long call.

Asked for my name, dob, last 4 digits of ssn and my phone number. Put me on hold for 4-5 mins then told me I was verified but they needed to do one more step.

They needed to call me back on my phone number, so they called me back and done.

That was weird. But makes me feel safer that they are worried about identity theft.

I feel happier with Capital One now that this is the case. She said I might have to call them back if there is an issue with activating my card.

As a matter of security you should never provide identifying info to incoming calls. Only ok on calls you make to them. Why would they need to call you back? You might want to call Cap One and verify that it was Cap One that called you.

I checked the phone number on their website, it was the same. The guy even asked me to check.

Great! Checking that is the right way to handle it. I'm glad it wasn't a scam. The incidence of scamsters calling up claiming to be from this or that organization needing to check a person's identity is, unfortunately, an increasing problem. Right now the IRS is warning folks about people calling saying they are IRS agents and demanding personal info they then use for ID theft.

Most of the time these calls from issuers are legitimate but they also understand when people ask to call them back through an official phone number.  They want people to pay attention to security too. It's the times we live in.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoofing a phone number is very easy and a tactic scammers are fully aware of. The fact that he asked you to check it would worry me even more. I have never been asked by a legitimate company to "check the number" to verify it was them. If that happened to me, I would definitely call them back to make sure that call was truely made from them.

A lot of scammers are probably more intelligent than most people think.
Message 12 of 13
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Spoofing a phone number is very easy and a tactic scammers are fully aware of. The fact that he asked you to check it would worry me even more. I have never been asked by a legitimate company to "check the number" to verify it was them. If that happened to me, I would definitely call them back to make sure that call was truely made from them.

A lot of scammers are probably more intelligent than most people think.

Good point. Ph. No.s can be easily spoofed. I misssed that and assumed the op called them back but clearly they didn't.

You should ask for the extension and call the person back at the website number. Always arrange to call them back.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.