cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One card holders, please give input.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One card holders, please give input.

I've noticed several people on here (via signatures on forum posts) have one or more Capital One Cards with nice limits in the 5000+ range.

So, how did you do it? Did you start an account and just request CLI's until you got what you got? Did you merge several cards on to one account to achieve your CLI?

I've had a Platinum card for 8 years and am sitting on 1750 CLI. Obviously I want this increased, as my other main card has about a 5k limit.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One card holders, please give input.

If your scores are good and your reports are clean you could probably qualify for a large limit on the Venture.  Have you checked prequal?

You can request soft pull CLI with cap one every 6 statements.  A lot of people merge their many cap one cards to get big limits, others just big limits right off the bat going for Venture if their profile supports it.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had to request a CLI to get the 1750 I currently have. 

I have not tried to apply for venture... The prequal you're talking about: is that on Capital One website or what?

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/

Try that, I had scores below 700 and received a 10000.00 Venture Visa Sig.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go it's right here.

Yeah AFAIK their lower tier cards are handled like another arm of the company.  Some people have success getting the limits up more on them, but most of the time they sit in swamp territory.

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_ONE_V01.aspx

On average from what I've seen purely going by creditboards database and scores, not set in stone of course, but it does appear this way, Venture reports the highest starting limits with Venture One usually as much as 50-100% less than a person would get on the regular Venture.  Probably because of 0% APR and no fee.  If someone doesn't want to pay the fee, then I'd go for Venture, then app for Venture One or QS Visa sig after 6 months, then combine both into the QSVS at 11 months while closing the Venture.  Or pay the fee for one year and get all 3 cards over the course of two years all the while requesting CLI every 6 months on each card.  Then combine into the one you want to keep.

Cap One has a rule now they will only approve one new card per customer every 6 months.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info. Do you by chance know how long you have to have a card active before  you can merge it with another account?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Donor card typically has to be open for 6 months.  Though people have apparently broken that rule. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive merged cards together to get the limit I have and Cap One offered to upgrade me to the Quiksilver no af which I was thrilled to do. I dont really need a large limit now so Im kinda chilling with it. 

Message 8 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Had to request a CLI to get the 1750 I currently have. 

I have not tried to apply for venture... The prequal you're talking about: is that on Capital One website or what?

You have enough history with Capital One, you should just outright apply for the Venture.

After you get the card, decide whether the terms on your existing $1,750 card are better (APR could be better there, age is certainly better) and look at combining the limits after 6 months.

Or don't bother combining if the Venture terms are good enough.

Applying for new cards with Capital One does give you a HP on each of the three bureaus, but those HP fade over time, and it saves you the frustration and wasted time of trying to ask for a CLI on a card that Capital One has determined has a credit ceiling of $1,750 on this credit line.

Report back results of your app.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Mod Cut-Please refrain from this in the future) 

Well, thanks guys. I'm now the proud owner of a Venture card with 20k limit. Cant wait to roll that into one card with 21,750 limit LOL.

Also, and I'm going to check my credit report to verify, but being a current customer (having a Capital One card alread) means that this was a soft pull correct?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.