Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - card upgrade

tag
hockeymom2119
Valued Member

Capital One - card upgrade

I have 4 Capital One cards now - two were original Cap One cards, and two were from HSBC and Discover that Cap One took over. I want a Venture card. I called the backdoor number listed on this site, and they upgraded two of my cards to Quicksilver. They said neither of my other cards were eligible for upgrade at this time. 

Does anyone know what criteria they use in upgrading cards? Say, after x-amount of months of good standing with my Quicksilver will they upgrade if I request? Or one of the remaining two if they are in good standing? I don't really want  to submit an application for a 5th card, I would like one of my existing cards be converted. My three credit scores are in the 650-660 range. I think the main thing that has hurt me is high utilization. I've recently paid them down and I think I'm at about 40% total for all my cards. No missed payments and good income. Any ideas? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One - card upgrade

You can upgrade, ask for a CLI, and ask for an APR reduction every six months with Cap One. I upgraded my QS1 to a Venture One, and my Platinum to a second QS four months ago. I called tonight to change the V1 because I now have the Venture, and was told I had to wait two more months.

As for the criteria they use, I asked about that very thing earlier tonight when I called the EO. She really wasn't able to answer the question, it seems to be a bit random. Between the EO and their online chat, I've received conflicting answers more than once. I have never, not one single time, had an offer on my account when I checked on my account home page, yet I've had cards upgraded, been approved for cards, had temporary APR reductions, annual fees waived and I'm sure other things by calling the EO or going through chat. There really doesn't seem to be a reason behind any of it, that's why I call or attempt the chat on a routine basis because you never know what might be offered.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.