cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One cardholders -- quick question!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One cardholders -- quick question!

I just read an article (admittedly a few years old) that said Capital One does not report your true credit limit to the bureaus, but rather your highest statement balance to date.

This concerns me because I was just approved for a QS1 with a $3k limit. I obviously want that limit reported accurately to the bureaus, but do not plan on letting my balance climb anywhere near $3k.

Can all you Capital One cardholders out there please weigh in? Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One cardholders -- quick question!

They report the limit to all 3 bureaus of mine (3 cap one cards reported to EX EQ TU)

Message 2 of 11
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They report the limit to all 3 bureaus of mine (3 cap one cards reported to EX EQ TU)

+1

Message 3 of 11
KEESHAJA
Established Member

I have two of their cards one being the qs1 and yes it reports the true limit, I've had them both since September of last year and they have always reported correctly.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They definitely report credit limits. I have qs1 and DH has venture+qs. I am also an AU.  All accounts report cl and they have reported my cli's.

Message 5 of 11
jnt1231
Regular Contributor

Both of mine report CL and high balance

FICO 08 EQ-817 TU-820 EX-817 12/07/17 Last App 9/15/17
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just read an article (admittedly a few years old) that said Capital One does not report your true credit limit to the bureaus, but rather your highest statement balance to date.

This concerns me because I was just approved for a QS1 with a $3k limit. I obviously want that limit reported accurately to the bureaus, but do not plan on letting my balance climb anywhere near $3k.

Can all you Capital One cardholders out there please weigh in? Thank you!

They report your CL. 

Utilization is one of they key factors lenders look at when underwriting. How can utilization be determined if your limit isn't reported?

The only lenders I know who don't report limits are "hidden" tradelines like Diners Club, which I believe doesn't report at all, and Amex charge cards without preset spending limits (but, they don't factor into utilization.)

But CapOne very much does report your CL. When I got a CLI on mine a couple months ago, I got an alert that one of my tradelines had increased my credit limit.

Rest easy. Smiley Happy

Edited for typos. "rep Pitt" autocorrect? Really?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a relief! Thanks so much, everyone.

Message 8 of 11
jay0
Established Member

It used to be that they reported a high balance only, they don't do that anymore.
Message 9 of 11
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Things change alot, sometimes quickly in credit.

They report your overall credit limit and how much of that limit youve spent.

*edit*
woops!  already covered Smiley Happy  I open my pages in new windows and reply to them later Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.