Frequent Contributor
Jubeyy

Capital One collections calling my home constantly after being late a week.

Haven't been on here in a while.  Had to pop in and ask something...

I was away on vacation and thought I had everything that need to be paid (gas, insurance, electric, credit cards, etc)  up to date before I left.  Somehow the Capital One payment for the month slipped by me.  When I got home the payment was 7 days overdue and I was getting ridiculously hounded by a credit collections agency wanting to know when and how much my payment was going to be.  

Is it just me or does this happen to anyone that is a little late with a Cap One payment? It's kind of crazy.

Also, the outsourced collection person was from India or somewhere and could not understand basic English.. .or speak it.   I have no problem with outsourcing... but when they have the power to adversly affect  something as valuble as my credit score ... they better know how to speak English!

I mean, it was my fault for being a little late, first time it happened... but come on... it's a $1000 limit card with a $200 something balance and I've been with them for 3 years or so.  

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

Re: Capital One collections calling my home constantly after being late a week.

Jubeyy wrote:

Haven't been on here in a while.  Had to pop in and ask something...

I was away on vacation and thought I had everything that need to be paid (gas, insurance, electric, credit cards, etc)  up to date before I left.  Somehow the Capital One payment for the month slipped by me.  When I got home the payment was 7 days overdue and I was getting ridiculously hounded by a credit collections agency wanting to know when and how much my payment was going to be.  

Is it just me or does this happen to anyone that is a little late with a Cap One payment? It's kind of crazy.

Also, the outsourced collection person was from India or somewhere and could not understand basic English.. .or speak it.   I have no problem with outsourcing... but when they have the power to adversly affect  something as valuble as my credit score ... they better know how to speak English!

I mean, it was my fault for being a little late, first time it happened... but come on... it's a $1000 limit card with a $200 something balance and I've been with them for 3 years or so.  

So you're saying that you were never even 30 days late on this account and Cap 1 sent it to collections?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Frequent Contributor
Jubeyy

Yep.  It was due on the 10th and I started receiving phone calls (8 total) starting 2 days ago.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

It's not uncommon, especially in today's economy. I may be wrong in my statistic, but I believe they are seeing 10%-20% default rates and contacting the customer early may go a long way in preventing further lates.

Established Contributor
wollepopolle

That's kind of aggressive. Makes me wonder how needy THEY are. I'll make sure I always pay my Cap One on time in full so that their hounds will leave me alone.  

Frequent Contributor
Jubeyy

Just called and spoke to a someone... evidently that is what they due with late payments.  Goes to collections the next business day.  Crazy.  

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

In-house collections, maybe?

AT&T screwed up our last payment when we switched phone service to Comcast, and their in-house collections (also foreign) drove us nuts. But it didn't go to a collection agency, and it was certainly never reported.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98

Jubeyy wrote:

Just called and spoke to a someone... evidently that is what they due with late payments.  Goes to collections the next business day.  Crazy.  

THE NEXT DAY!!!!  wow!  that's incredible.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 716. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.
Frequent Contributor
Jubeyy

I was reminded of all the calls I got as a teenager from a collection agency  after I defaulted on some Columbia House and BMG Music contracts.  Yes, I just dated myself : )  

Valued Contributor
IOBA

Yeah, Cap 1 (overall) is hurting.

The biggest flag that I have seen (not counting your recent experience) is that they bought Chevy Chase bank.   Since then, they have been sending numerous offers to my son who has a Cap 1 card.  The offer is to pay him $200 CASH **just* for opening up a checking account with Chevy.   The account is free and no minimums.   I think they want a direct deposit once a month.  The offer initially started with $50 cash for opening an account.

Anytime a bank offers outrageous deals, it's a sign they are in trouble.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}