Did you mean: 

Capital One combination

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One combination

QS opened 11/11/14 21.5k limit $0 balance  $0 AF

Venture opened 4 months ago $15k limit $0 balance  $59 AF

They are offering me to combine QS to Venture.  Will venture have QS history or will I lose all of it?

10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One combination

@Anonymous wrote:

QS opened 11/11/14 21.5k limit $0 balance  $0 AF

Venture opened 4 months ago $15k limit $0 balance  $59 AF

They are offering me to combine QS to Venture.  Will venture have QS history or will I lose all of it?

Your QS will report as closed and remain on your reports for ~10 years as a closed account, the venture history will not change at all

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I take advantage of the opportunity now or should I wait and see if I can combine Venture to QS after 6 months history with Venture?  $36k QS with 1.5 years history greater than $36k Venture with 4 month history I assume?

of course they may kill account combo at any time, so please advise.  thanks

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It also depends on your usage.  Do you value the Venture and the rewards structure over the QS?  What do you use any other cards for?  If not of that matters and you just want to clean things up and simplify, I would say combine into your QS, no annual fee that way. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once your Venture card is eligible, I would combine it with your QS. Best of luck!
Message 5 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:
Once your Venture card is eligible, I would combine it with your QS. Best of luck!

+1

This is what I would do as well; even though the closed account will stay on your reports for up to 10 years, if you keep the QS you'll be keeping the older of the two open. 

Also keep in mind that due to the Venture's AF, you have to spend in excess of $12k per year to 'break even' with the rewards you would earn with the 1.5% Quicksilver.  Smiley Wink

As for the account combination feature being removed, that's always a chance but I would be surprised if they were to do so.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will wait a couple more months and hope they offer Venture to QS.

I only got venture for the signup bonus points. 

I need to rid myself of all AF's as I took on the AMEX Platinum with 100k signup and I intend to keep it indefinitely. 

Would you all cancel a PRG card since it is redundant to have 2 charge cards with AMEX?

Message 7 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I will wait a couple more months and hope they offer Venture to QS.

I only got venture for the signup bonus points. 

I need to rid myself of all AF's as I took on the AMEX Platinum with 100k signup and I intend to keep it indefinitely. 

Would you all cancel a PRG card since it is redundant to have 2 charge cards with AMEX?

This is a good topic for a fresh thread (to get all the Amex folks to chime in) but I can say that most people use the Amex Platinum for the 'perks' and the Amex PRG to earn MR points (i.e. for most purchases). 

There's really no wrong answer; it will really depend on how you plan to use the cards.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1...just combined my Venture into my QS 1.5%. I did it more for the no AF. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

+1

This is what I would do as well; even though the closed account will stay on your reports for up to 10 years, if you keep the QS you'll be keeping the older of the two open. 

Also keep in mind that due to the Venture's AF, you have to spend in excess of $12k per year to 'break even' with the rewards you would earn with the 1.5% Quicksilver.  Smiley Wink

As for the account combination feature being removed, that's always a chance but I would be surprised if they were to do so.

+2

I need to get better at providing more thorough explanations. Thanks UncleB for a more detailed explanation! All good advice OP. If you decide at a later time you want another Venture you could always apply for another one. 

I agree with keeping the QS for it's history. Make sure to always PIF so you're not paying interest. Another benefit is that the QS usually comes with BT offers. I feel you get a little more bang for your buck.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.