Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One combining cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One combining cards.

You guys have probably already talked about this before. But I'm a newbie and I want to know. I just spoke to Capital One. They said I could combine my 2 Cards. My Quicksilver and my Platinum MasterCard or Quicksilver VISA and my Quicksilver One can be combined. I know normally when you close an account obviously your utilization goes down and that would negatively affect your score but you utilization won't go down because you're combining the credit lines. Is there any negativity at all with combining cards as far as your credit scores?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One combining cards.

Shouldn't be any negative effect on your scores. You're retaining the limit so your UTL won't change. Closed accounts stay on your report for 10 years. People close cards all the time, you'll be fine
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One combining cards.

@Anonymous wrote:
You guys have probably already talked about this before. But I'm a newbie and I want to know. I just spoke to Capital One. They said I could combine my 2 Cards. My Quicksilver and my Platinum MasterCard or Quicksilver VISA and my Quicksilver One can be combined. I know normally when you close an account obviously your utilization goes down and that would negatively affect your score but you utilization won't go down because you're combining the credit lines. Is there any negativity at all with combining cards as far as your credit scores?

No, combining does not reflect negatively on your scores.  It actually benefits you as other lenders get to see you have experience handling a higher limit card.  The closed account will still report for the next few years.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.