Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One combining, maybe I shouldn't have

tag
TimeLBK
Regular Contributor

Capital One combining, maybe I shouldn't have

I combined two of my Cap One cards into one a couple of months ago. Tryed to ask for a CLI, but it says, "There has recently been a change to the credit line on this account ". I guess I cannot get a CLI on this card for another 6 months, since they "technically" did not give me a CLI?

Discover IT: $0/$200
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One combining, maybe I shouldn't have

Well technically the letter isn't wrong. There was a change in your current credit line. I would try in another 3 mos. It doesn't hurt.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 14
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

During the combination process, they notify you that the combination will be that "change in account" and therefore any CLI will only happen no earlier than 6 months from the combination date.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why I am waiting until I am next eligible for a CLI before combining accounts.

Message 4 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's why I am waiting until I am next eligible for a CLI before combining accounts.

+1

That's exactly what I would do as well; get a CLI on each account individually before combining.

As it was mentioned above, the website also 'warns' that combining can impact CLIs.

Message 5 of 14
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I don't think you made a mistake. Just wait and ask for cli. You can also see what they would pre qualifying you for. Or if you do not mind the inquires and rebuilding, apply for another card.  IMO. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 6 of 14
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@TimeLBK wrote:

I combined two of my Cap One cards into one a couple of months ago. Tryed to ask for a CLI, but it says, "There has recently been a change to the credit line on this account ". I guess I cannot get a CLI on this card for another 6 months, since they "technically" did not give me a CLI?

To them combining accounts is essentially a CLI so you'll have to wait 6 months from the time of combining to be eligible for a credit line increase. It has been noted that it's best to try to get a CLI on both cards prior to combining. I had done that previous to my combining. Don't worry though the months will fly by and before you know it'll be time apply for a CLI again!

Personal:

Business:

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TimeLBK wrote:

I did the same thing too and totally regret it.  I also didn't consider how it would change my AAoA as much as I should have.  Oh well.

Message 8 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well i thought about combining my cards. then realized i like them just the way they are. I don't need a Giant limit more than what i already have. My biggest of all is 20k. Thanks more than enough to get in trouble. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TimeLBK wrote:

I did the same thing too and totally regret it.  I also didn't consider how it would change my AAoA as much as I should have.  Oh well.

It shouldn't have impacted your AAoA for FICO purposes, at least until the closed account stops reporting which can be up to 10 years. 

If you're checking the 'FAKO' sites, that's another matter since Vantage is impacted by closed accounts (they are no longer considered for AAoA).  Very few lenders use Vantage, however, so you should be fine.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.