Capital One consolidation question

tag
girbabe
Established Member

Re: Capital One consolidation question

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
probably easier to get too though. i am not trying to be smart with you just merely help. there is a thread on here somewhere with the lowest APR cards. some of them you may qualify for so see if you can find it Smiley Happy

I spent 6 months scouring the internet looking for low interest cards.  Simmons and Iberia is what I found.  Everything else was between 10.99 and 22.99.  Including Barclays.  If you found something different than I did, I sure would appreciate knowing where to find it.

Barclay's Ring card is only 8% APR - It's one of my favorite cards. Here's the link:

http://www.findmybarclaycard.com/barclaycard-credit-cards/?campaignId=2039&pkw=barclayring&pmt=e&cellNumber=1&referrerid=BNGPS0215BRRNG

So I did a quick search for credit union credit cards and from what I can see most start at 8.9% IF you qualify but they also have other tiers.  In my experience, as with BECU, they don't start a new account out at the lowest rate especially if you aren't already a customer so that scenario would not work for me.  Barclay's Ring however, might.  I think my only argument at this point would be researching the qualifying criteria but honestly, if I'm going to jump through hoops, I might as well do it for Simmons with the lower interest since I already know what's required.

Fico Score: EQ=806/TU=798/EX=794 Back in the garden 11/1/2015

My cards: Amex BCE $25k / Discover IT $16 / Cap One QS World MC $11.5k / Barclaycard Ring MC $7k / BofA Rewards $5k / BECU Visa $5.5k & $500 LoC/ Chase Freedom QS $6k / Citi TYP $3.3k / Chase Amazon Rewards $1,800 / Best Buy $1,680 / Amazon Store Card $3.6k / Shell (Citibank)$600 / Paypal Credit $7.5k (doesn't report)
Message 21 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
probably easier to get too though. i am not trying to be smart with you just merely help. there is a thread on here somewhere with the lowest APR cards. some of them you may qualify for so see if you can find it Smiley Happy

I spent 6 months scouring the internet looking for low interest cards.  Simmons and Iberia is what I found.  Everything else was between 10.99 and 22.99.  Including Barclays.  If you found something different than I did, I sure would appreciate knowing where to find it.

Barclay's Ring card is only 8% APR - It's one of my favorite cards. Here's the link:

http://www.findmybarclaycard.com/barclaycard-credit-cards/?campaignId=2039&pkw=barclayring&pmt=e&cellNumber=1&referrerid=BNGPS0215BRRNG

So I did a quick search for credit union credit cards and from what I can see most start at 8.9% IF you qualify but they also have other tiers.  In my experience, as with BECU, they don't start a new account out at the lowest rate especially if you aren't already a customer so that scenario would not work for me.  Barclay's Ring however, might.  I think my only argument at this point would be researching the qualifying criteria but honestly, if I'm going to jump through hoops, I might as well do it for Simmons with the lower interest since I already know what's required.

With your scores I think you would get an instant approval with Barclay for the Ring (they pull TU). I was instantly approved and I had a very thin file. No pressure though, it's totally up to you which card fits your needs best. I will just add that the Ring has an 8% APR for everything (i.e. purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances), and also has no balance transfer fees, and the fee for cash advance is only $3. Just something to think about Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 53
girbabe
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With your scores I think you would get an instant approval with Barclay for the Ring (they pull TU). I was instantly approved and I had a very thin file. No pressure though, it's totally up to you which card fits your needs best. I will just add that the Ring has an 8% APR for everything (i.e. purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances), and also has no balance transfer fees, and the fee for cash advance is only $3. Just something to think about Smiley Happy

Sounds great actually.  Do you know what their requirements are for inquiries or new accounts within the magical 24 mos period?  I only have one inquiry for Transunion but I've opened 5 credit cards since January 2014.

My cards: Amex BCE $25k / Discover IT $16 / Cap One QS World MC $11.5k / Barclaycard Ring MC $7k / BofA Rewards $5k / BECU Visa $5.5k & $500 LoC/ Chase Freedom QS $6k / Citi TYP $3.3k / Chase Amazon Rewards $1,800 / Best Buy $1,680 / Amazon Store Card $3.6k / Shell (Citibank)$600 / Paypal Credit $7.5k (doesn't report)
Message 23 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds great actually.  Do you know what their requirements are for inquiries or new accounts within the magical 24 mos period?  I only have one inquiry for Transunion but I've opened 5 credit cards since January 2014.

Well I can tell you that when I got approved for the Ring, I had opened up about 12 new accounts in the 6 months right before I applied (14 in the past 12 months), although 5 of the 14 new accounts hadn't reported yet (so I had like 9 new accounts reporting at time of app). And I think I only had 3-4 recent inquiries on TU at that time. Trust me, you'll be fine Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry for sounding somewhat snippy, I should have elaborated more.  There are many many other cards with low interest and are far easier to get than simmons. Not saying give up on your dream or anything, just thinking logically.

Also, all these cards you have SD'ed with 12-24% apr, have you made any attempts to have their APR reduced? Its not that hard especially for most of your creditors. Just takes time and some effort.

Message 25 of 53
girbabe
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I can tell you that when I got approved for the Ring, I had opened up about 12 new accounts in the 6 months right before I applied (14 in the past 12 months), although 5 of the 14 new accounts hadn't reported yet (so I had like 9 new accounts reporting at time of app). And I think I only had 3-4 recent inquiries on TU at that time. Trust me, you'll be fine Smiley Wink

Wowser!  I can't believe how relaxed their requirements are.  Thanks for the info - I'm going to go ahead and apply.  In fact, this thread sort  of went off topic from the orginal post.  While all this has been going on, I went ahead and cancelled my Sonycard and combined limits on the other so now I have just the one Cap One card and if I can hold out until January, I'll have only 4 new accounts showing.  I don't know why I'm being so anal about all this.  But then, I suppose we are all a bit obsessive about our credit or we wouldn't be frequenting this forum.  Smiley Tongue

Message 26 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wowser!  I can't believe how relaxed their requirements are.  Thanks for the info - I'm going to go ahead and apply.  In fact, this thread sort  of went off topic from the orginal post.  While all this has been going on, I went ahead and cancelled my Sonycard and combined limits on the other so now I have just the one Cap One card and if I can hold out until January, I'll have only 4 new accounts showing.  I don't know why I'm being so anal about all this.  But then, I suppose we are all a bit obsessive about our credit or we wouldn't be frequenting this forum.  Smiley Tongue

Sorry, I did go off topic. But congrats on your Cap1 account combination! If you do app for the Ring, make sure you post back and let us know the outcome - good luck!

Message 27 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@girbabe wrote:

Its ok! You didnt get to nearly 800 from being UNanal.  We just have to keep an open mind.  Barclays isnt always perfect, they tend to be loved or hated by their customers. 

You could use that same inquiry for the barclay ring and also app for the Arrival Plus, or for one of their cobranded cards. You probably wont want to do this and that is A OK

Message 28 of 53
girbabe
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry for sounding somewhat snippy, I should have elaborated more.  There are many many other cards with low interest and are far easier to get than simmons. Not saying give up on your dream or anything, just thinking logically.

Also, all these cards you have SD'ed with 12-24% apr, have you made any attempts to have their APR reduced? Its not that hard especially for most of your creditors. Just takes time and some effort.

Not a dream, LOL!  It's just a credit card with low interest.  It doesn't have to be "that" one.  I just haven't found one any lower unless you want to include Lake Michigan CU at 6.25% but you have to be a member.   I don't like be told no or wasting inquiries unless there's a good chance I'm going to be approved.  Capital One is known for declining reduced APR's and 3 of my cards are with them.  Yes, I tried asking for a reduction.  Some of the others were issued at 12.99 which is their lowest and others in between.  I don't ask for CLI's or APR reductions unless I've been established and know they will be approved or when otherwise following the "rules" such as Amex and their 3x CLI which I've taken advantage of.  So the short answer here is yes, I've tried getting reduced APR's within reason on some cards and no on others while trying to use some common sense.  Regardless, there isn't one card I currently have that is going to go anywhere near 8%.

Message 29 of 53
girbabe
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@girbabe wrote:

Its ok! You didnt get to nearly 800 from being UNanal.  We just have to keep an open mind.  Barclays isnt always perfect, they tend to be loved or hated by their customers. 

You could use that same inquiry for the barclay ring and also app for the Arrival Plus, or for one of their cobranded cards. You probably wont want to do this and that is A OK

Appreciate the suggestion but unfortunately I don't travel.  Rarely even out of my own city.  For me, I tend to apply for one 0% intro APR at a time and when it's approaching end of life, I find another but they're not typically travel rewards cards unless they have an exceptionally long 0% intro.   I'm just really obsessing over a low interest card that I can rely on if times get tough.  I've been there before and sold my house to pay everything off about 10 years ago.  The interest on all my cards just sucked me dry.  Won't go there again.

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.