Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One denial question

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Capital One denial question

I am just at the start of rebuilding my credit. Bofa opened the door for me to start by rebuild by giving me a visa card (500.00). I then got approved for amazon and walmart. The next place I tried was capital one and I was denied....then a few hours later, discover approved me for 1500.00. I notice on here that everyone recommends capital one even though they are not a great card but I don't understand why they turned me down. It's ok because I am happy with what I have now but I wonder if they won't take you back after having a charge off with them (the charge off was almost 16 years ago. Any thoughts?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One denial question

Cap1 AFAIK doesn't really blacklist. They tend to be very forgiving. Cap1 denied me for their secured credit card around a year ago, and I had no negs or anything, just no history (I applied for cap1 secured as my first card ever when I turned 18). I was really upset about that, but I ended up getting a mail offer from them a few months later (Still no history) and they approved me for a $3000 limit as my first card. They seem to be very odd about their approvals, and use some method I don't really understand. haha. 

Message 2 of 30
sgs10
Regular Contributor

True. Their approvals are clueless but they are very forgiving if the debt soes not belong to them.

Message 3 of 30
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
I am just at the start of rebuilding my credit. Bofa opened the door for me to start by rebuild by giving me a visa card (500.00). I then got approved for amazon and walmart. The next place I tried was capital one and I was denied....then a few hours later, discover approved me for 1500.00. I notice on here that everyone recommends capital one even though they are not a great card but I don't understand why they turned me down. It's ok because I am happy with what I have now but I wonder if they won't take you back after having a charge off with them (the charge off was almost 16 years ago. Any thoughts?

Congrats on your new CCs! You've actually got some really good cards to garden. On a side note, I would stop apping now. If you keep getting cards, your AAoA is going to take a nosedive and your FICO as well. And they'll likely be small CLs, as well.

Cap One is odd, and frankly, I'd consider myself lucky that you didn't get approved, given that you already have BOA and Discover. So, you have 2 major CCs on which to build a pos history.

Cap One does have different tiers of cards, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. They may say, "platinum" or "rewards" and don't distinguish between the CCs for rebuilders (sub-prime) and those for excellent credit (prime). It's possible you apped for a prime card which has higher criteria for approval. And AFAIK, Cap One won't let you use that app/HP for a different CC app, though you could try. I would be very careful with them because they are the only CC that pulls all 3 CRAs for an app, and if you recon w/them, they may do another 3 HP.

I agree about the CO. Many people here have gotten CCs w/old COs and BKs w/Cap One.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 30
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

You have a nice list of new cards with you. You are better of without Capital One. Your new credit lines will grow will you unlike Capital One.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 5 of 30
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I don't knowwhy would you want a capital one since evry1 try to get rid of it I mean it's not going to give u any benefit ....I might thought you apply for a wrong capital one product.......anyway discover is a great card ahowdy you had any baddie on yourreport ....what your Fico score ???? How often out apply your credit card ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 30
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

I don't knowwhy would you want a capital one since evry1 try to get rid of it I mean it's not going to give u any benefit ....I might thought you apply for a wrong capital one product.......anyway discover is a great card ahowdy you had any baddie on yourreport ....what your Fico score ???? How often out apply your credit card ???

When I applied for capital one, I only had the bofa visa card and the amazon card so I was wanting another major credit card because I thought it would look better to creditors later on. I have wanted a discover card for years but always been afraid to apply so I just went ahead and did it after the capital one denial and to my surprise they approved me for a decent limit (1500.00). I am 100% happy with what I got and am not applying for anything else but it has been bugging me since last week wondering why they denied me. Then I keep seeing on different forums that the capital one card is where everyone is directed when rebuilding so I though I would ask to see what people thought.

I do not have anything bad on my credit....I got several charge off's when I was fresh out of high school and that has been 15 years ago so everything has fell off of my report so I am really starting from scratch. I had good stuff too (car loan) but that has fell off as well. The capital one was a 300.00 limit back then but they kept passing the collection over and adding fees so I ended up oweing them like 2000.00...it was just ridiculous.

I don't know what my fico it....I have only been on creditkarma and the score was 641 after bofa added my visa to it. Then I sent out several applications (5) and was approved for everything except capital one. Then when I looked at my score on there, it dropped down to 634. I was going to wait and get my scores and credit reports in January so I can let all the cards I have hit it and show good payment. One of the cards I got was the wal-mart card and I think I read somewhere that you can get your score from them. (The card has not came in the mail yet so I can't set up my accounts because I don't have the account number)  Should I not be waiting that long to get credit reports and scores?

Here is what I have:

BofA Visa  500.00

Discover  1500.00

Wal-Mart  600.00

Amazon  600.00

Old Navy  250.00

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 7 of 30
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

You can get them at Fico score ??? Why wouldn't you do that ??? Those call Fako.......this is a real score lender used....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

What Capital One card did you apply? It sounds to me like you apply the wrong one (Cash Reward with no AF for example).

Message 9 of 30
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I didn't realize the one through walmart was not real....I am new to this and still learning....I knew the creditkarma one was not but I have not seen the info on the walmart one yet because I have not set up my account

The capital one card I applied for was the classic platinum.....its just what came up first when I clicked on the "am I preapproved" link

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.