Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One denied Application for Secured Card

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One denied Application for Secured Card

I agree with Lexie.....try the BOA route. Besides their card will graduate.

Message 11 of 19
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Capital one has denied a lot of people for the secured card. They used to be a lot more generous before the CARD act of 09.

The reason I was denied was lack of credit. They hardly approve thin files anymore.

I had about 4 or 5 months worth of credit history and got an unsecured card with a $500 limit on it from them..

Message 12 of 19
abhinavp30

@09Lexie wrote:

@abhinavp30 wrote:

So me and my family just moved to USA and we people just received our SSN last week.  So to start building our credits i applied for  Secured Credit Card from Capital One. I got denied instantly and i was going to put almost 2000 as deposit. So now apparently i cant apply for another for a month. I woud like to look into some other cards too. I looked into BOfA but i read they also tend to deny very often. Should i go for first progress? All of these cards seem to ask for annual income. I dont have any income yet but we do have quite some money in our checking accounts that is if it matters.Also uhmm do we need 4 different cards for four different people? Or 2 ppl can get their credit improved through one card or something like that?

Thank you!! Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum.  What did you use for income? Did you leave it blank? I would go into a BoA and apply.  Without a SSN even a store card will be a denial.  

We do have our SSN. We applied for that on the day we landed Smiley Happy  I used the income we get from our investments and stuff which is actually quite good and i dont mind putting over 2000 deposit.

As many ppl here have stated i would try for Bank of America try as soon as i can.  I heard you can apply for it online. Is this true? If yes i can do it right away. But i read that BOA denial rate is more then capital one . Is that true? I would also like some reviews on the first progress card.

Thank you!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@abhinavp30 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@abhinavp30 wrote:

So me and my family just moved to USA and we people just received our SSN last week.  So to start building our credits i applied for  Secured Credit Card from Capital One. I got denied instantly and i was going to put almost 2000 as deposit. So now apparently i cant apply for another for a month. I woud like to look into some other cards too. I looked into BOfA but i read they also tend to deny very often. Should i go for first progress? All of these cards seem to ask for annual income. I dont have any income yet but we do have quite some money in our checking accounts that is if it matters.Also uhmm do we need 4 different cards for four different people? Or 2 ppl can get their credit improved through one card or something like that?

Thank you!! Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum.  What did you use for income? Did you leave it blank? I would go into a BoA and apply.  Without a SSN even a store card will be a denial.  

We do have our SSN. We applied for that on the day we landed Smiley Happy  I used the income we get from our investments and stuff which is actually quite good and i dont mind putting over 2000 deposit.

As many ppl here have stated i would try for Bank of America try as soon as i can.  I heard you can apply for it online. Is this true? If yes i can do it right away. But i read that BOA denial rate is more then capital one . Is that true? I would also like some reviews on the first progress card.

What was the reason Capital One gave you for their denial?

Also have you checked into your local bank to see if they offer cards? I would look into Credit Unions in your area as well.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 19

Do you have any checking account in a US bank?

I came to the US three months ago and opened both checking and savings accounts with Wells Fargo. After that, I asked them for a secured credit card without any problem.

Wells Fargo secured $300 | Capital One secured $351
Message 15 of 19
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

@abhinavp30 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@abhinavp30 wrote:

Thank you!! Smiley Happy

I think you might have gotten a denial because your SSN is brand new and you also didn't have any credit files with the CRAs by the time you summited the app. I would recommend the same some ppl have advice you here before, visit a bank branch (Bank of America, Citi, US bank or a CU) and apply in person and that way they're going to be able to verify your identity right away

Message 16 of 19
abhinavp30

@ComplexNetwork wrote:

Do you have any checking account in a US bank?

I came to the US three months ago and opened both checking and savings accounts with Wells Fargo. After that, I asked them for a secured credit card without any problem.

Checking account with chase. 3 accounts total but chase doesnt have secured cards and thats were i had to look for other cards Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With a new SSN banks are going to want to verify your identity that's why the suggestion is to app in person. 

Message 18 of 19
abhinavp30

I will be going to the branch tomorrow ! Smiley Happy

@09Lexie wrote:

With a new SSN banks are going to want to verify your identity that's why the suggestion is to app in person. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.