Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One fraud.... ugh.

tag
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Capital One fraud.... ugh.

WOOHOO I JUST EXPERIENCED CREDIT CARD FRAUD!

One day, two people went out to dinner and paid using their credit card. Someone, somewhere decided to write down the credit card numbers and store it for safe keeping. 

A week later, several unknown charges appeared on their online account. After speaking with the fraud department, Capital One states that apparently it looks like a fake card was made. Someone swiped the card and of course it did not work. Since it could not be swiped, they ended up entering the numbers manually ( something that is against policy but often done anyways to make the customer happy ).

Presto -- three charges on our account.

Amazing. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Looks like you don't have to lose your credit card or punch them online to get into fraud. Sometimes your waiter can just be a jerk! YAY!

Bonus - Capital One has done their part and started the fraud. However, I decided to contact the stores and inform them of what happened. Both managers dismissed me and said they don't enter their cards in manually. Capital One, however, states they did see it being entered in manually.

Am I missing something or was a fake card created that swipes just like a real card?

I must say that Capital One was a pleasure to work with. The fraud agent made me feel completely relaxed and at ease. Kudos to their team.

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One fraud.... ugh.

@PleioneG wrote:

WOOHOO I JUST EXPERIENCED CREDIT CARD FRAUD!

One day, two people went out to dinner and paid using their credit card. Someone, somewhere decided to write down the credit card numbers and store it for safe keeping. 

A week later, several unknown charges appeared on their online account. After speaking with the fraud department, Capital One states that apparently it looks like a fake card was made. Someone swiped the card and of course it did not work. Since it could not be swiped, they ended up entering the numbers manually ( something that is against policy but often done anyways to make the customer happy ).

Presto -- three charges on our account.

Amazing. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Looks like you don't have to lose your credit card or punch them online to get into fraud. Sometimes your waiter can just be a jerk! YAY!

Bonus - Capital One has done their part and started the fraud. However, I decided to contact the stores and inform them of what happened. Both managers dismissed me and said they don't enter their cards in manually. Capital One, however, states they did see it being entered in manually.

Am I missing something or was a fake card created that swipes just like a real card?

I must say that Capital One was a pleasure to work with. The fraud agent made me feel completely relaxed and at ease. Kudos to their team.

Unfortunately that is the times we live in now. All you can really do is report it and hope it gets resolved quick. Luckily for the consumer were not held responsible for any of it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 13
p-
Valued Contributor

Good thing you have a credit card.  Imagine if it was your debit card...  Overdraft fees, money gone while it all sorts out...  Ugh.  

Message 3 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@p- wrote:

Good thing you have a credit card.  Imagine if it was your debit card...  Overdraft fees, money gone while it all sorts out...  Ugh.  

Thats exactly why I don't use my debit card at all. Very scary.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 13
p-
Valued Contributor

Mine still has that new debit card smell.  

Message 5 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@p- wrote:

Mine still has that new debit card smell.  

Which is that $$$$ smell christmas tree air freshener from the NSF fees they collect every year! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 13
scarzy
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@p- wrote:

Thats exactly why I don't use my debit card at all. Very scary.

When I started on my bankruptcy journey, had no choice but to use debit card since I couldn't get a real credit card. One day, I got ripped off for 600 bucks, and luckily, the credit union refunded the money because my wife and I always check our statement online. If we would have been lazy checking, I think we would have been out of that money.

After our bankruptcy, I made sure to get a credit card for that reason only. Everyone does it for rebuilding, mine was to prevent fraud like this from happening again. If it does, I'm very protected, unlike a debit card.

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 7 of 13
AQ
New Contributor

Yup, had that happened to me, not too long ago, via my Walmart Money Card (pre paid).  Not sure how they got the number, but I kept up with my spending onilne and saw where someone had tried to make a purchase through a internet domain website and also tried to set up an account through Christiansingles dot com.  I'm figuring my number was snatched out of the internet air, since I make a lot of online purchases. 

Starting Score: TU 641 2/28/13 EQ 640 3/1/13
Current Score: TU706 EQ???
Goal Score: 750 750

Message 8 of 13
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

A similar situation happened to me with my CapitalOne card & their fraud department was super easy to work with.
Message 9 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I would say the store manager is just lying. Cap1 can tell exactly how the card was charged, and would have no reason to lie. The store manager on the other hand, baa every reason to lie.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.