Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One hates me!!!

tag
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One hates me!!!

That is what you may have to do. There is a growing thread on Cap 1 CLIs right now. You also have to come to grips with three HP's for a better QS or Venture card. With 706, you should be able to get a nice CL but this is Cap1.

@Neverknewaboutcredit wrote:

I had that same card with the same $500 for couple years and worked it hard with no love. So after my last call in to them I said forget it, this card will never get me anywhere and closed it. I then turned around and checked the pre on there site and it had 2 cards QS & Venture so I hit submitt and got both 5k/10k. so I think its just the steps card will never grow for anyone, just my thoughts.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not you its them.  Please see other posts about Cap 1.  It time to move on.  We have an Citi DC we like but it starts out on the low side. We just got a Amex Blue Cash Pref  for the 6% supermarket and low it nice limit good terms.  I would look for a new card. Take your time and one find one that fits  your needs. Cit DC works well if you pay in full

Message 12 of 19
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Backwood, thats why I jump on and got an AMEX BCE in March. I put a lot of spend through it and will pay it off before the statment cuts. I am moving on. The OP should do that as well and SD or close it depending on the AAOA.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree blackwizz.  The only thing I don't like about Amex I can't fix is the cashback/points don't  show up for 2 statements. 

Message 14 of 19
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe that charge off is playing a part. Also Capital One has been very tight lately.....

It appears Capital 1 has changed there underwriting criteria. There's an increasing number of posts on My Fico that are mentioning Cap1 in a negative light for one reason or another. Six months to a year ago, Cap1 was golden and could no harm. It appears as if the tide is turning. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 15 of 19
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

It seems as CapOne has gone back to their old ways.  

Is there any reason to take a pull at each bureau for a CapOne card when you can take one pull for a better card?

Just saying.......

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's definitely YMMV. I'm a Cap1 fanboy. Swipe obsessively, PIF before statement cuts, repeat... the formula still works. They may not be the best cards out there, but they lend a hand when most rebuilders need it most. Just use the card on their terms -- they make $$ off of those swipes and will reward you in return.

My tuppence :-)

Message 17 of 19
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Cap1 + Steps = stuck in the mud

Once your scores and general profile qualify for a better rate on their pre-qual you're better off taking the offer for a 10-14% rate and higher CL this route or you can keep banging your head on the wall trying to get a CLI out of them.

Cap1 is good up until a point and then you have to pull the weeds from the roots and plant them into a new planter to grow.  If you get a more "prime" appoval out of them you should be able to get a CL up to 30-40K with some time and spend.  However the catch 22 here is if you're not a big spender they tend to hit back with the whole " you don't spend enough and you won't get a CLI " arguement.

D@mned if you do and d@mned if you don't!  Welcome to Cap1 and what's in your wallet?!  Smiley Very Happy

*I shred my cap1 when it shows up and only use it online every 12 months to pay a bill

Message 18 of 19
elim
Senior Contributor

I like Cap1 but was never stuck in low limit land with them (but I was with Chase, Barclay and Synch at one time).  I can get 5k cash for a year for $100 any time I ever need it with Venture.

Maybe close the builder card now and grab a Venture when they open the gates again.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.