Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One is Messing With Me

tag
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Capital One is Messing With Me

Ok, so I've already gone through the thing where you make a large payment and it doesn't show up forever (or until you call) But this is a new one on me.

I have been trying to show a zero balance on my cap one cards. My payment for one of those cards is due on the second. I always pay in advance, but a few days before the second, I put it at zero and keep it there until it reports.

For the last week, (or maybe longer) I have had a very small balance (around 20 bucks or so) that doesn't show as a balance, just as less available credit. In the balance column, it still says zero. When I try to pay, it doesn't let me, because according to cap one, I don't have a balance...

I am pushing the payment through using my bank, but...really? Why does Cap One even care if I want my balances to report at zero? I don't get this.

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One is Messing With Me

That's because the amount of $20 is still pending so while it's taken out of your available credit, it is not yet posted to the account so it's technically $0 balance. Once the $20 goes from pending transaction to posted transaction that's when the balance gets updated. Sometimes pending items can be moved to posted within 2 days and sometimes even longer. Had a Chipotle pending transaction one time for almost 10 days. Anyway my advice is if you want the card to report $0 balance do not use it at least 5 days prior to Statement being cut and just use a different card. My CAPONE statement gets cut on 23rd so around the 18th I try not to use it anymore and use another card and then after the 23rd I can use it again. Of course my dumb self booked a hotel on Hotwire.com on the 19th of the month because it was a hot deal to pass up and at the time I was at work and reached for CAPONE and booked it and then realized that I did that and of course it was pending and moved to posted on the 23rd and bam...got hit with $356 statement...thank god it's still no interest...I paid it but it reported on my credit. Oh well no biggie..not apping for anything except for Amazon and got approved so it's cool...It will be down to $0 again next month.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 2 of 4
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

I agree but it's been way more than five days. It's not realllly a big deal, just kind of annoying. : )

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 3 of 4
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

It depends on retailer really. CAPONE will only post money to your account after they cleared it with the retailer and handed them the money and retailer sent them electronic signature or slip. If you bought something where you had to fill out and sign a manual receipt like a restaurant or things like that then it takes longer.

Also retailer could have had a batch issue and it was not submitted to be paid. For example in some cases my company will take your credit card and if there is some sort of computer issue and batch has not been submitted you might see pending for weeks and weeks. It happens. It's not really capone's fault.

And yes it's extremely annoying. I learned that I no longer care about the balances and things like that closely unless I know there is a card I want and I want to apply for it...then I will tighten up my utilization and make sure it's at it's peak....other than that who cares what you utilization is and your credit score is if you not going to do anything with it like apply for stuff...yes don't max out all of your cards but at the same token who cares if small amount posts. In-fact this month I'm letting my USAA CMS $7.25 fee post and also Netflix $7.99 fee post and statement cut with it because I let that card go $0 for like 6 months straight so I want to show some sort of usage...LOL...credit is fun and beast can be tamed and controled once you know how!

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.