Established Contributor
bernhardtra

Re: Capital One launches new credit card

Oh I thought you were going to mention their other new card the Despise card.  It comes with an AF of $89 and an initial signup bonuse of 50% a value meal at McDonalds and inititial credit limit of $15, with credit steps of $1 every 4 months for the life of the card. 

Credit is just like a video game. Some people have already gotten the experience from other games. Others, well they just have to learn. You go out on a quest. If you die or get wounded you just restart from the last save point or heal. Unlike a video game, we don't have a last save point or magic potions to heal instantly.

So maybe one day we will get a SIMs credit game so we can prepare better for real life.
Senior Contributor
Open123

enharu wrote:
I still don't understand what the big deal about this card is, other than the fact it's a world elite MasterCard.

If were offered, the *only* reason to app for it would be for the 35K signup bonus an annual fee waiver.  

Then, just SD it for cancellation next year before the fee is due.

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
myjourney

bernhardtra wrote:

Oh I thought you were going to mention their other new card the Despise card.  It comes with an AF of $89 and an initial signup bonuse of 50% a value meal at McDonalds and inititial credit limit of $15, with credit steps of $1 every 4 months for the life of the card. 

Ha ha ha 

Why did I know you would jump in Lol

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
I will be gardening until a better offer/bonus comes along
Last escape 06/06/13 Bronze 7/6/2013 Silver 9/6/2013 Gold 12/6/2013 Palladium 3/6/14 made it
Super Contributor
enharu

Open123 wrote:

enharu wrote:
I still don't understand what the big deal about this card is, other than the fact it's a world elite MasterCard.

If were offered, the *only* reason to app for it would be for the 35K signup bonus an annual fee waiver.  

how much is 35k miles worth?
there's a 10k miles anniversary bonus each year. if 10k = $100, then AF is somewhat just $20.

It still looks awfully similar to the Venture card to me though, except Venture is a visa sig.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Discover IT (15k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k).
Senior Contributor
Open123

enharu wrote:

Open123 wrote:

enharu wrote:

there's a 10k miles anniversary bonus each year. if 10k = $100, then AF is somewhat just $20.

It still looks awfully similar to the Venture card to me though, except Venture is a visa sig.

Even with first year fee waived, still may not even bother.  I'm not a big fan of "miles" disguised as statement credits. 

The last time Cap One had anything worth app'ing was the 100K Venture sign up 3 years ago.  That was worth it!

Established Contributor
bernhardtra

myjourney wrote:

bernhardtra wrote:

Ha ha ha 

Because of the love I have for them!  And sorry, it had to be someone, so why not me!  I am amazed no one else thought of it!  There are certainly a few who have already posted who feel the same way.  I just put a humorous twist on it.  I really do wish they would straighten out and better identify their customers.  They do seem to be on a path to do so, but how far down it are they going to go? 

Maybe I should have called it the Despair card though.  Since that would be an antonym for Aspire.

Credit is just like a video game. Some people have already gotten the experience from other games. Others, well they just have to learn. You go out on a quest. If you die or get wounded you just restart from the last save point or heal. Unlike a video game, we don't have a last save point or magic potions to heal instantly.

So maybe one day we will get a SIMs credit game so we can prepare better for real life.
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
myjourney

bernhardtra wrote:

myjourney wrote:

bernhardtra wrote:

Ha ha ha 

Because of the love I have for them!  And sorry, it had to be someone, so why not me!  I am amazed no one else thought of it!  There are certainly a few who have already posted who feel the same way.  I just put a humorous twist on it.  I really do wish they would straighten out and better identify their customers.  They do seem to be on a path to do so, but how far down it are they going to go? 

Maybe I should have called it the Despair card though.  Since that would be an antonym for Aspire.

Lol Good one :smileylol:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
I will be gardening until a better offer/bonus comes along
Last escape 06/06/13 Bronze 7/6/2013 Silver 9/6/2013 Gold 12/6/2013 Palladium 3/6/14 made it
Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

Open123 wrote:

enharu wrote:

Open123 wrote:

enharu wrote:

Even with first year fee waived, still may not even bother.  I'm not a big fan of "miles" disguised as statement credits. 

The last time Cap One had anything worth app'ing was the 100K Venture sign up 3 years ago.  That was worth it!

+1. I remember that one, where they had you send in a statement of another travel card and if you had more than 60k (I think) in annual spend, they'd give you 100k miles.

Any card that doesn't either (a) earn miles directly in a loyalty program or (b) allow you to transfer the earnt currency into a loyalty program is simply a glorified cash-back card. This applies to all of the CapOne cards, the BofA travel rewards cards, Barclay's arrival card, etc.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Contributor
RonDawg

bahbahd wrote:

i aspire to never have another capital one card again.

I second that one my friend lol

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Blogger
HiLine

CreditScholar wrote:

Open123 wrote:

enharu wrote:

Open123 wrote:

enharu wrote:

+1. I remember that one, where they had you send in a statement of another travel card and if you had more than 60k (I think) in annual spend, they'd give you 100k miles.

Any card that doesn't either (a) earn miles directly in a loyalty program or (b) allow you to transfer the earnt currency into a loyalty program is simply a glorified cash-back card. This applies to all of the CapOne cards, the BofA travel rewards cards, Barclay's arrival card, etc.

Nah, it's a downgraded cashback card that lets you redeem points toward travel expenses only. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+