Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One no help with fraud.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One no help with fraud.....

I have a big problem with my Cap1 card, and I'd like to know what you would do in my situation.

The short story:  I have lots of cards and PIF them all every month.  Somebody I trusted with my Cap1 card went bats**t crazy and ran up a fortune in junk charges, and Cap1 cays, "Sorry, you're SOL"

The long story: A girl that I have known all my life got into a temporary financial jam waiting to start a new job a couple of months ago, so I loaned her my card to buy essentials like groceries and gas for a few weeks until she got some income started, and then she was to pay the balance.  The card had a $1250 limit and no balance when I gave it to her.  A month later I get an e-mail that my card is over the limit, and when I pull my statement she has run up over $1500 in 4 weeks.  Most of it is junk... cell phones, hotels, restaurants, convenience stores, etc.  I was flabbergasted that somebody I thought I knew could be so irresponsible.  How anybody with no rent and no car payment can blow nearly $400 a week for 4 weeks straight just boggles my mind.

So anyway, I don't really care that much about the Cap1 account because it's junk anyway.  That's why I don't use it and loaned it to her in the first place.  But they've now reported to all 3 bureaus that my card has gone from a $0 balance to $250 over limit in one month, and I'm afraid that one of my prime cards - like Amex, Discover, Chase, Citi, etc. - will see it and flip out on me.  So I called Cap1 right away and explained what's happened, and ask if either they can increase the limit on the card so that it won't show overlimit, or alternatively I offered to pay the balance IN FULL right then if they would report again immediately (I have the cash to do that if I need to, as a last resort).  Know what I got?  A giant middle finger, figuratively speaking.

So I contact her and tell her that I need $300 right away to get the card under the limit, and you can imagine how that went.  We're now seriously on the outs over this (and some other stuff), and I figure she's going to stiff me for the money.  I'm weighing my options.  I just called Cap1 to talk about possibly either disputing the charges or doing a copy request with the merchants in question.  I figure my beef is not really with Cap1 or with the merchants (although they should have ID'd her before accepting the card!), but if I have to take her to court I'd like to have copies of the receipts in my hand and Cap1 is in a position to do that for me via a copy request.  Not a dispute, just a copy request.  They tell me that they WILL NOT let me dispute the charges because they're not fraudulent (even though I never authorized anything except gas and groceries), and they will charge me $14 PER TRANSACTION for a copy request on 66 transactions.  I've never heard such crap. I was proactive and up front with them from the minute I realized what had happened, and they esentially told me it's my problem, and bye.

They absolutely don't care, and words just can't describe how livid I am at their absolute refusal to lift a finger to help me.  They act like I'm bothering them by even calling about it.  So what I'm considering is a BT to my >10,000 CL Citi card that has a way better interest rate anyway (since Citi likes to send me BT offers so often, even though I'm clearly not a balance carrier!)  I figure 1500 on a card with a 10,000 limit looks a lot better on my reports than a maxed out, low limit card.  And I'm not ready to pay it right now either, becauseit's not my bill.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Cap1 gets closed at the end of this story because of their attitude.  So how would you proceed here?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One no help with fraud.....

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a big problem with my Cap1 card, and I'd like to know what you would do in my situation.

The short story:  I have lots of cards and PIF them all every month.  Somebody I trusted with my Cap1 card went bats**t crazy and ran up a fortune in junk charges, and Cap1 cays, "Sorry, you're SOL"

The long story: A girl that I have known all my life got into a temporary financial jam waiting to start a new job a couple of months ago, so I loaned her my card to buy essentials like groceries and gas for a few weeks until she got some income started, and then she was to pay the balance.  The card had a $1250 limit and no balance when I gave it to her.  A month later I get an e-mail that my card is over the limit, and when I pull my statement she has run up over $1500 in 4 weeks.  Most of it is junk... cell phones, hotels, restaurants, convenience stores, etc.  I was flabbergasted that somebody I thought I knew could be so irresponsible.  How anybody with no rent and no car payment can blow nearly $400 a week for 4 weeks straight just boggles my mind.

So anyway, I don't really care that much about the Cap1 account because it's junk anyway.  That's why I don't use it and loaned it to her in the first place.  But they've now reported to all 3 bureaus that my card has gone from a $0 balance to $250 over limit in one month, and I'm afraid that one of my prime cards - like Amex, Discover, Chase, Citi, etc. - will see it and flip out on me.  So I called Cap1 right away and explained what's happened, and ask if either they can increase the limit on the card so that it won't show overlimit, or alternatively I offered to pay the balance IN FULL right then if they would report again immediately (I have the cash to do that if I need to, as a last resort).  Know what I got?  A giant middle finger, figuratively speaking.

So I contact her and tell her that I need $300 right away to get the card under the limit, and you can imagine how that went.  We're now seriously on the outs over this (and some other stuff), and I figure she's going to stiff me for the money.  I'm weighing my options.  I just called Cap1 to talk about possibly either disputing the charges or doing a copy request with the merchants in question.  I figure my beef is not really with Cap1 or with the merchants (although they should have ID'd her before accepting the card!), but if I have to take her to court I'd like to have copies of the receipts in my hand and Cap1 is in a position to do that for me via a copy request.  Not a dispute, just a copy request.  They tell me that they WILL NOT let me dispute the charges because they're not fraudulent (even though I never authorized anything except gas and groceries), and they will charge me $14 PER TRANSACTION for a copy request on 66 transactions.  I've never heard such crap. I was proactive and up front with them from the minute I realized what had happened, and they esentially told me it's my problem, and bye.

They absolutely don't care, and words just can't describe how livid I am at their absolute refusal to lift a finger to help me.  They act like I'm bothering them by even calling about it.  So what I'm considering is a BT to my >10,000 CL Citi card that has a way better interest rate anyway (since Citi likes to send me BT offers so often, even though I'm clearly not a balance carrier!)  I figure 1500 on a card with a 10,000 limit looks a lot better on my reports than a maxed out, low limit card.  And I'm not ready to pay it right now either, becauseit's not my bill.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Cap1 gets closed at the end of this story because of their attitude.  So how would you proceed here?

A girl that I have known all my life got into a temporary financial jam waiting to start a new job a couple of months ago, so I loaned her my card to buy essentials like groceries and gas for a few weeks until she got some income started, and then she was to pay the balance.

Capital One isn't going to intervene.  You said you loaned the person your card.  That isn't fraudulent.   Sorry. 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is your bill.  Cap one is totally right in this case.

Message Edited by swanky on 01-13-2010 05:09 PM
Message 3 of 20
keith021
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The short story: I have lots of cards and PIF them all every month. Somebody I trusted with my Cap1 card went bats**t crazy and ran up a fortune in junk charges, and Cap1 cays, "Sorry, you're SOL"

The long story: A girl that I have known all my life got into a temporary financial jam waiting to start a new job a couple of months ago, so I loaned her my card to buy essentials like groceries and gas for a few weeks until she got some income started, and then she was to pay the balance. The card had a $1250 limit and no balance when I gave it to her. A month later I get an e-mail that my card is over the limit, and when I pull my statement she has run up over $1500 in 4 weeks. Most of it is junk... cell phones, hotels, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. I was flabbergasted that somebody I thought I knew could be so irresponsible. How anybody with no rent and no car payment can blow nearly $400 a week for 4 weeks straight just boggles my mind.

So anyway, I don't really care that much about the Cap1 account because it's junk anyway. That's why I don't use it and loaned it to her in the first place. But they've now reported to all 3 bureaus that my card has gone from a $0 balance to $250 over limit in one month, and I'm afraid that one of my prime cards - like Amex, Discover, Chase, Citi, etc. - will see it and flip out on me. So I called Cap1 right away and explained what's happened, and ask if either they can increase the limit on the card so that it won't show overlimit, or alternatively I offered to pay the balance IN FULL right then if they would report again immediately (I have the cash to do that if I need to, as a last resort). Know what I got? A giant middle finger, figuratively speaking.

So I contact her and tell her that I need $300 right away to get the card under the limit, and you can imagine how that went. We're now seriously on the outs over this (and some other stuff), and I figure she's going to stiff me for the money. I'm weighing my options. I just called Cap1 to talk about possibly either disputing the charges or doing a copy request with the merchants in question. I figure my beef is not really with Cap1 or with the merchants (although they should have ID'd her before accepting the card!), but if I have to take her to court I'd like to have copies of the receipts in my hand and Cap1 is in a position to do that for me via a copy request. Not a dispute, just a copy request. They tell me that they WILL NOT let me dispute the charges because they're not fraudulent (even though I never authorized anything except gas and groceries), and they will charge me $14 PER TRANSACTION for a copy request on 66 transactions. I've never heard such crap. I was proactive and up front with them from the minute I realized what had happened, and they esentially told me it's my problem, and bye.

They absolutely don't care, and words just can't describe how livid I am at their absolute refusal to lift a finger to help me. They act like I'm bothering them by even calling about it. So what I'm considering is a BT to my >10,000 CL Citi card that has a way better interest rate anyway (since Citi likes to send me BT offers so often, even though I'm clearly not a balance carrier!) I figure 1500 on a card with a 10,000 limit looks a lot better on my reports than a maxed out, low limit card. And I'm not ready to pay it right now either, becauseit's not my bill.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Cap1 gets closed at the end of this story because of their attitude. So how would you proceed here?

I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but I agree with Capital One. You are fully responsible for those charges even if you did authorize someone to use your credit card. It is stated in the terms and conditions as well. It’s similar to co-signing for someone; both parties are fully responsible for the term of the loan and any balances, late fees, etc. that occurs during the duration of the loan.

It is always best to have a written contract or promissory note when lending money etc. even if the person is a close friend or family member, verbal contracts just isn’t sufficient! In the meantime, you should take care of the balance and other fees in order to not jeopardize your credit rating. I think you should take her to a small claims court to recover your lost.

Good luck! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by keith021 on 01-13-2010 05:22 PM

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 20
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Your screwed, unless you want to claim them fraudulent and have her arrested. Otherwise pay the bill and move on. You should have loaned her cash instead.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, whether it is or isn't fraud isn't really my point. My beef as far as the money goes isn't with Cap1 or with the merchants.  It's with my ex-friend, and I'm planning to go after her full steam if she stiffs me.   But the thing is, if I haul her into court over it, I will have to prove she was the one who made the charges.  All I asked Cap1 for was to request validation on my behalf from the merchants so that I can have some receipts in my hands if it comes to that.  I don't think that's an unfair or unreasonable request.  Do you? 

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, whether it is or isn't fraud isn't really my point. My beef as far as the money goes isn't with Cap1 or with the merchants.  It's with my ex-friend, and I'm planning to go after her full steam if she stiffs me.   But the thing is, if I haul her into court over it, I will have to prove she was the one who made the charges.  All I asked Cap1 for was to request validation on my behalf from the merchants so that I can have some receipts in my hands if it comes to that.  I don't think that's an unfair or unreasonable request.  Do you? 

Well I, for one, have never known a credit card company to do anything for free that didn't serve their interests. They've offered to do this for you, but there is a fee as you've explained above. Although it's probably not $14 per transaction, I'm sure it still costs them to do this for you, so you really can't expect it to be for free. This is my opinion, of course... I hope the girl takes responsibility and pays you what she owes.

Message 7 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your monthly statement will be your receipt.  Whether it help you, I doubt it.  You should focus on your credit rating now.  You do not want to agitate your other creditors.  

Message 8 of 20
keith021
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried contacting the merchants yourself, or stopping their store(s)? I’m assuming they are local to you. I would request receipts from them if it is such a hassle requesting them from Capital One.

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 20
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I believe that your goal now needs to be damage control. You are right that you don't want to spook your other creditors, and it's time to take logical measures to control the damage. 

If I were you, I would pay the balance in full if I had the money. If not, I would transfer the balance to the higher limit credit card. That way you won't have a maxed out card.

I understand your frustration and anger. This is not Capital One's fault...you know that. I know that you wish there was a cheaper alternative to gathering receipts, but there apparently is not.

Don't do anything to further damage your own credit. Pay or transfer the bill. And then sue your "friend" in small claims court.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.